Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

White-painted rails are not unknown in the UK - some of the pointwork at Exmouth Junction is so treated.

John

Indeed, painting of Junctions and sites deemed at risk have been painted for at least the last the last 15years, if not longer. It’s a task I used to hate being given. Thankfully, no longer a part of my job 😂

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 22:21, CovDriver said:

The guard only announced the alteration as we come out of Kilsby tunnel. 

Typical of our control leaving it to the last minute to inform the poor guard as she was getting some stick from the punters.

I believe it was expressed due to the late inward driver from Crewe. 

I’m assuming you work for WMT? And if so what are they like to work for if you don’t mind me asking? I start as a Trainee with them in August so it would be great to hear from a current employee!

Apologies for slightly hijacking the thread also Big Jim!

Hi Jim it was really nice to speak to you at the DRS event thank you for taking the time to speak to me . I love to look at this  thread on how  life as  driver takes you around the country with all the different traction, its great you take the time to upload the photos on here .

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, big jim said:

Nice to briefly speak to you too, shame your lad didn’t get to cab a loco! 

He was disappointed the ques were huge for each loco inside the shed and it was to hot to wait around we tried several times to go back and have a go but it was busy right up till they closed 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

…sorry to hear of the breakdown Jim…was it a recurrence of the hub problem?

BeRTIe

Could be related to it but the hub and bearing itself is fine, nice and tight, all bolts present etc 

I totally lost power on the M6, had to be rescued by a recovery truck, happened at 21:30 and got home at 02:30 but had to be up at 06:00 so was knackered today 

9EA51270-0CA8-48A6-B2F4-72629406777E.jpeg.d971b225a23cccdaa45704724c2b3c93.jpeg

seems like an electrical problem, possibly sensor related but having had the hub off again today the ABS sensor looks no different to when we refitted it on Saturday, hopefully something simple as I do quite like this car and don’t really want to scrap it!  

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Someone ought to model it in that "livery".

J

@hammer73 has modelled 69001 in the undercoat livery - featured on the superb Burnroyd Works layout at the DEMu Showcase last weekend.

And excellent it looked to, alongside 69005.

(Sorry. didn't get pics)

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

…I would be suspicious of damage caused by the hub retaining bolts falling out on your nbnd journey.

BeRTIe

one thing I did do was put that ring you straightened up on the wrong way round, we had it flush to the drive shaft but it should have been facing outward as a shield, given it was pretty mashed up I’m wondering if the sharp edge has gouged a wire of something, I’ll find out tomorrow hopefully, otherwise it’s the far less economical mini back to the ‘van on Saturday! 

• Friendly/supportive 3