Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

So will it now be returned to a capital stock number, presumably  08600? And it is no longer red, though I imagine that it may not stay in NSE colours in its new role. I hope the graffiti artists don't get there first.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

So will it now be returned to a capital stock number, presumably  08600? And it is no longer red, though I imagine that it may not stay in NSE colours in its new role. I hope the graffiti artists don't get there first.

Jonathan

Its been 08600 since c1990. It was returned to regular service, went to Eastleigh, painted Departmental Grey.

Withdrawn and sold to AV Dawson painted red.

i think that image is 97808 (08825),  at Chinnor perhaps ?

(flickr url not mine)

seen at Bescot earlier this week…, looks like it has different numbers eitherside

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's rather nice, I like an eye-catching livery on an 08!

Is the Railfreight Red-Stripe 08 still at Soho Depot, near Smethwick?  I never could get a decent photograph of it from the train a few years ago (it was going too dark whenever I was passing to and from Brum, and there were too many gantries and bits of electric-knitting in the way)

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2022 at 10:11, big jim said:

The shunter was saying it’s got a manual fuel and oil pump and a few other quirky little foibles! 

How does that work then? Is there a header tank you pump up with fuel and then you're good for x minutes? Or do you have to keep pedalling it like a pump organ?

• RMweb Gold

It’s a wooden handled hand pump next to the driving desk that you pump up and down to send the fuel from the main tank to a header, it doesn’t have to be done that often but the general rule of thumb is to keep it over 2/3 full, you still have to too the header up on an electric pump one but it’s just a switch 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thought I'd show a snap I got of 66773 reversing it's train into Llandudno Junction yard yesterday afternoon, conveniently had my PICOP course at the depot so had a chance to get a pic. Great to see two GBRf operated trains down the coast now. Will you be involved in these workings, Jim?

IMG_20220803_084456_608.jpg.c00c59fa53684c1217af4f707a377edd.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

22 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Will you be involved in these workings, Jim?

Hopefully, I’ve reminded the planners I sign the north wales coast as I refreshed penmaenmawr for that job a few months back but wasn’t needed in the end, I just need to go and see the yard at the jn and have a look through the MOW then sign it off and I can work it right through from the midlands 

there may be more than 2 GB trains on the coast soon if what I’m reading on other forums comes off 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Thought I'd show a snap I got of 66773 reversing it's train into Llandudno Junction yard yesterday afternoon, conveniently had my PICOP course at the depot so had a chance to get a pic. Great to see two GBRf operated trains down the coast now. Will you be involved in these workings, Jim?

IMG_20220803_084456_608.jpg.c00c59fa53684c1217af4f707a377edd.jpg

Some one said this was slate waste - any more gen on origin and use?

Thanks
Chris

The slate waste here is from Bethesda rather than Blaenau, road hauled to Llandudno Junction. Destination I've heard is Hope Cement. Not too sure why this went to Wellingborough mind.

It's a shame the possible DCR flow from Rhyl (carrying limestone from Llysfaen Quarry) has been canned. I haven't heard about other potential flows mind apart from mootings a loading terminal at Blaenau is being mooted again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2