Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

I wondered what had happened to that theme park, only went once 

Used to love going there, seem to remember at the time the log flume was the steepest or longest in the uk, when you look back at the site now you realise how small it actually is compared to the likes of Alton towers

as you come off the main road on the bike there is a still a sign saying ‘no through road to the American adventure’ 

here’s an article about where the rides are now 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/beloved-rides-american-adventure-theme-7038022.amp

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Used to love going there, seem to remember at the time the log flume was the steepest or longest in the uk, when you look back at the site now you realise how small it actually is compared to the likes of Alton towers

as you come off the main road on the bike there is a still a sign saying ‘no through road to the American adventure’ 

here’s an article about where the rides are now 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/beloved-rides-american-adventure-theme-7038022.amp

“Tallest three drop log flume in UK” or similar I think! 

Iron Wolf (Twin looper) was my first ever upside down ‘coaster, closely followed by The Missile (an absolute brute of a ride) 

Edited by Gremlin99

On 12/08/2022 at 23:46, big jim said:

‘‘Twas a long day!

Actually shorter than most turns I normally do but some of it is just so slow such as between hellifield and Blackburn, 30mph all the way!

rode to kingmoor from the middle of Carlisle passing under the old Waverley route bridge 

IMG_6771.HEIC

it’s not actually a cycle path but a public footpath with lots of steps but it was a nice ) mile ride to try out a new bike 

I'm glad to see the viaduct is still there; when I was at Uni in Carlisle, that was one of my regular walks when I needed to get a bit of head-space, or just to relax.  Out from Stanwix along the country lanes, over that viaduct, then back with a pause to photograph some WCML moves on the River Eden bridges near the power-station site, then back via the park.  It was considered an unofficial footpath at the time (no fences, and loads of fallen parapet stones so a bit dodgy up there), and there was plenty of talk about the future of the viaduct.  The path to be closed, or (this was very left-field) reopening as a railway if the Waverley Route was ever revived... the one that came closest was having a road-deck built on it (or outright demolition and replacement) as part of the Bypass scheme which was being mooted at the time.  It's nice to see it's still there and accessible!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ben B said:

I'm glad to see the viaduct is still there; when I was at Uni in Carlisle, that was one of my regular walks when I needed to get a bit of head-space, or just to relax.  Out from Stanwix along the country lanes, over that viaduct, then back with a pause to photograph some WCML moves on the River Eden bridges near the power-station site, then back via the park.  It was considered an unofficial footpath at the time (no fences, and loads of fallen parapet stones so a bit dodgy up there), and there was plenty of talk about the future of the viaduct.  The path to be closed, or (this was very left-field) reopening as a railway if the Waverley Route was ever revived... the one that came closest was having a road-deck built on it (or outright demolition and replacement) as part of the Bypass scheme which was being mooted at the time.  It's nice to see it's still there and accessible!

Canal shed was located at the south end of the viaduct at the top of the steps. Latest news on the viaduct:

Our Mission: "to re-open the viaduct as a footpath and eventually a cycle path"

http://www.carlislewaverleyviaducttrust.co.uk/

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 21:19, big jim said:

From there I rode to toton via Bennerley viaduct, a nice 20 mile ride 

I've spent the last 7 weeks at Toton Jim, headed to Bennerley myself yesterday for an unwind after a day in the classroom. Lovely spot, one to go back to.

Jo

• Like 1

I did see a biomass train passing through Northwich a couple of weeks ago. Several wagons were in the old swoosh livery which was was very faded and shabby so I suppose it’s time to smartened the train up a bit with new vinyls. 

• RMweb Premium

Went to see the Pete Waterman layout last week with a group from our local model railway club. Only realised after talking to him for about ten minutes who he was! Nice modelling, and I liked the hedges a lot more than on a lot of layouts.

There was a 27 wagon freight on the down Northampton. The driver stopped it just after the loco entered the visible part of the layout. Pete's immediate comment was that he now would not be able to get enough of a run to get up the slope to the bridge - and he was right.

Jonathan

• Like 4