Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

No not today, been refreshing liverpool, will be on it for the next 2 weeks though starting monday

Sorry but I can't make it tonight now due to something coming up, will be nice to see you next week

• RMweb Gold

did the tamper move today, never been on one before, interesting ride!!

the view from edge hill station towards lime street, if you look closely you can see a 142 in lime street station

DSCF3525.jpg

as i was waiting a DRS 66 came in with a rake of EWS wagons and run round in the wappings, i think it was a schenker working

DSCF3528.jpg

DSCF3529.jpg

the tamper and 66 

DSCF3530.jpg

EMT 158 passing through Edge Hill station

DSCF3537.jpg

the 66 departs the sidings

DSCF3538-1.jpg

and into huyton

DSCF3541.jpg

it then departed for the worksite near earlestown, the signal protection for the possession was the signal its just passed at danger (with authority)

DSCF3542.jpg

you can see the stop board protecting the exit to the possession on the other line in front of the tamper

DSCF3543.jpg

• Like 11

Jim

A bit out of your area.

This csught me by surprise heading through Redhill this morning, turning onto the Tonbridge line.

Ian

Thought I saw a similar thing over the back of Hoo Junction on Saturday. 

Back to the tamper photos - there's a lot of reading material in the cab of that 66.

And how are those tampers etc for ride comfort when travelling at top speed? Better or worse than a 142 pacer?

• RMweb Premium

Thought I saw a similar thing over the back of Hoo Junction on Saturday. 

Back to the tamper photos - there's a lot of reading material in the cab of that 66.

And how are those tampers etc for ride comfort when travelling at top speed? Better or worse than a 142 pacer?

Sunday papers with all those extras?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Up until the night time class 56 pictures they are iphone 4 then the zoomed in pics, derby, edge hill etc are taken on a finepix 4400, my £30 bargain from cash convertors, cracking bridge camera with 28X optical zoom, 14MP

• RMweb Gold

nothing particularly interesting this week, same job, same loco so same photos, but here are a selection of pics i took while waiting for my train to work and a couple while i was fueling the loco, its getting lighter later now so i may take the camera and try and get a good shot of the WAG express passing by tonight

DSCF3544.jpg

DSCF3546.jpg

DSCF3548.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15

Up until the night time class 56 pictures they are iphone 4 then the zoomed in pics, derby, edge hill etc are taken on a finepix 4400, my £30 bargain from cash convertors, cracking bridge camera with 28X optical zoom, 14MP

Thanks, good image quality with an impressive zoom...and a complete bargain at £30!

• RMweb Gold

Had a taxing night, late running passenger services knocking me for time, a loco failure and eventual swap and an unexpected run to carlisle!!

A few pics to follow when i upload them when i get home but basically the night started in warrington with 66847 at the helm and ended in carlisle with 56302 on the train!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

right a few pics from the last couple of days.....

wednesday evening, 66850 rolls into warrington BQ

DSCF3569.jpg

175 passing chirk, still cant get the focus right on the front of the train

DSCF3573.jpg

again trouble focusing but it was about 21:00 and geting dark

DSCF3584.jpg

and this was really at the last bit of light, bescot to wrexham (and onwards to the bidston line)

DSCF3600.jpg

and onto yesterday (Thursday)

GBRf leaving LNWR with a mixed rake of wagons

DSCF3620.jpg

DSCF3621.jpg

66847 waiting in warrington

DSCF3624.jpg

6j37 is booked to sit in chester for about 30 mins now, this came in while i was waiting, the beatles experience unit

DSCF3625.jpg

rounding the curve towards bache

DSCF3627.jpg

175 arriving into plat 2, it wasn't too long ago they were banned from that platform because of clearances

DSCF3628.jpg

158 disappears into the rain

DSCF3662.jpg

so off i went, delayed by late running passenger services, all was good until the 66 decided to give up the ghost at cosford, got it going again only to pretty much immediatly shut down and again at bushbury so it was decided after trying all available avenues (ie gettign a 66 off drs, freightliner etc) to swap the loco for a 56 that luckily was in crewe ETD for crew training, dropped into basford hall and removed the 66 and went over to the ETD with it only to find the 56 blocked in, a couple of calls to the on call man finally managed to get the unit blocking us in moved and we got back onto the train a few hours later ready to depart north, the only problem being the relieving driver didn't sign 56s so i had to go with him to traction conduct him to carlisle as en route i would reach my continuous driving limit so would have had to have stopped driving!

and so into carlisle kingmoor, i don't sign the yard yet so the other driver continued driving while i oversaw him, handy for me to see the moves though, got a few pics while we were waiting to set back from the recess yard into the wood yard...

running round

DSCF3672.jpg

after running round and having pushed the train back as far as a ground frame we had to wait for schenker to finish a move before we could continue setting back, i'm wondering if this is part of the old hump yard?

DSCF3674.jpg

DSCF3676.jpg

DSCF3678.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 18

On the focussing thing, a lot of cameras allow you to pre-focus on the spot you want by half-pressing the shutter button with the desired spot in the centre of the frame, then keep it half-pressed and re-frame the shot. Best to set your zoom level before pre-focussing though.

Splendid selection of 56105....

Managed a shot of 56302 tonight at dunham in low light....Sounded superb....Thump thump thump thump...

Music to the ears....

Shame you weren't driving it Jim....

Regards

D421

post-17396-0-88606100-1369421789_thumb.jpg

Edited by D421
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Its Not 105 its 302, i should have been driving it but couln't make the job due to the late running last night, will be picking it up later though from crewe

May i suggest getting out monday for J37 too, you wait for a 56 to come along and 2 come along at once!!

• Like 1

Had a taxing night, late running passenger services knocking me for time, a loco failure and eventual swap and an unexpected run to carlisle!!

A few pics to follow when i upload them when i get home but basically the night started in warrington with 66847 at the helm and ended in carlisle 12 hours later with 56302 on the train!

Bloody knackered and still on my way back to crewe on a voyager (just coming down shap) for a well deserved sleep before i book back on at 23:59 to take 6C37 back to carlisle (on the plus side its still the 56 on it)

You're welcome to all that messing about mate :)  That's one thing I don't miss about the freight life, much easier just stepping on and off.

• RMweb Gold

only a few from last night, 56302 on the logs again, traction conducted it to carlisle...

crewe (iphone pic)

null-145.jpg

warrington BQ

DSCF3697.jpg

kingmoor during the run round

DSCF3709.jpg

DSCF3704.jpg

checked my train time home only to find that after the 05:45 departure direct to crewe all other trains were only running to oxenholme with a bus to preston and then a train to manchester and another to crewe with a journey time of 4 hours 15 mins so i ended up taking the van and driving home instead, tonight i start work in banbury, thats a fair few miles today!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

56302 is on the logs again on monday but will be being joined by 56086 at warrington for the run to chirk and back to carlisle, been looking through my manual to see how to multi them up!!

And the big frothy question from me is:

Are they then going to run south on Tuesday via the S&C????

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

56302 is on the logs again on monday but will be being joined by 56086 at warrington for the run to chirk and back to carlisle, been looking through my manual to see how to multi them up!!

Should that be 56087?

Cheers,

Mick