Multiple working fitted Cl.03 & Cl.04.

br2975

I have in my possession a couple of BR drawings (schematics) from the York drawing office dated 1966/67; relating to the fitting of multiple working apparatus to Cl.03 and Cl.04 locos.

The system was apparently air operated / pneumatic and involved some twelve jumper cables/hoses connecting the locos which would be coupled cab to cab.

This appears to be a similar arrangement to that used on some of the 'cut down' BPGV locos.

The drawings list the locos to which they refer, and is specific in their pairings, namely:-

Cl.03

2052 & 2053, 2071 & 2074

Cl.04

2204 & 2248, 2230 & 2232, 2242 & 2244, 2260 & 2261, 2263 & 2264, 2265 & 2340, 2271 & 2272,

I recall multiple working fitted Cl.03 shunters working in the North-East during the late 60s early 70s - around Tyne Yard ?

However, I cannot recall any mention of similar pairings, and m.u. fitted Cl.04 shunters.

The Ian Allan spotting books were always a bit light on such matters, and I don't have any of the more informative Railway Observers for that period.

I know that 2244 was later sold into industrial (hire) use in South Wales with Messrs A.R.Adams of Newport but I never noted any modifications when I saw it many, many moons ago.

Can anyone shed further light on this subject ?

Were the Cl.o4 locos ever fiteed with multiple working equipment. ?

Brian R

Having a look through my photo collection I found photo's of D2263 + D2264 and D2271 + D2272 coupled up in multiple. (I don't know where I copied the photo's from). The pipework looks the same as on the BP&GV 03's. A look on the web found present day photo's of D2271 and D2272, with D2271 having a plate fixed over where the pipes came out of the back of the cab. It looks as though D2272 still has the pipes still in position on the cab rear. This is interesting as I'm the mechanical officer for the D2578 loco group and we have 03145 which still has its multi working gear in place. We have been looking for another loco to multi with so D2272 may be an option if it is ever resurected. In any case I would be very interested to see the drawings you have Brian as we do not have any explaining the system on 03145 and yours may just be of help if the chance of multiing up with another loco ever occurs.

Paul J.

Paul

I have two copies of the one drawing.

Ref:- SL-YK-465

"Air & wiring schematic for working 2 BR 204HP D.M. shunters in multiple (pneumatically controlled)"

PM me with your address and I'll pop one copy in an envelope .

Brian R

PS

The position of the connections can be seen in these two links, one showing the location of the twelve connections on the cab rear, the other shows what appears to be a blanking plate.

D2271 preserved

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/8320254285/

D2272 preserved

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincoles/7912812236/

And on BPGV 'cut down' Cl.03s at these links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16819691@N08/7385384618/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron_h/5044357219/

The 12 connections are as follows, top to bottom, left to right. At the very top is a single Main Air pipe. Next row down of 4 connections are 1st, 2nd,3rd & 4th gears. next row of 3 connections are for Fwd, Rev & 5th gear, (although I'm not 100% sure if Fwd, Rev are not reversed). The bottom row of 4 connections are for Throttle, DSD, Fwd sands & T'ling sands. 9 of these connections go to what we have labled "the rolling pin" which is an off center cam which shuts off the the cab controls of the trailing loco when in multipleby way of air valves. As far as we can ascertain the sanding control is not isolated in this way. All of this is still in place on 03145 although some of the original pipework which is in clear plastic has been affected by the sun over the years and has been bypassed but could be put back into working order. The one main difference on a multi fitted 03/4 is that the throttle is air operated not a cable operation so to multi up with another 03/4 it still has to have this fitted. It does make starting them in cold weather a bit awkward as you have to hold the throttle open on the actual engine itself so tends to need 2 of you to start it in those conditions.

Paul J.

PS. Went looking on the computor and found this shot of 03145 cab rear showind the pipe connections.

post-7146-0-75006200-1366413761_thumb.jpg

Brian

Recieved the copy of the drawing today. Many thanks, it throws up a couple of things that I had not considered before about coupling 03's/04's in multiple. One is the that the Fwd/Rev connections are crossed between the loco's, (this includes the sanders as well). Obviouse when you consider that when in multiple one loco is going forwards and the other in reverse, but something that had never crossed my mind before. Second is that the drawing shows an electrical connection on for the oil pressure warning light circuit so that you get a low oil pressure warning on the remote loco in the driven loco. Something that I had not even thought about before, but is an obvious requirement. I'm going to have to go back and look at 03145's electrics as I cannot remember finding this circuit when we first restored the loco.

Once again many thanks. Now to find someone who wants to multi up their 03/4 and pair them up.

Paul J.

Hi Brian,

as far as i am aware the Gateshead allocated multi 03/04 class locos were used from South Dock

for the Silksworth branch with South Dock drivers and on the Redheugh branch but i am not sure who worked

these trips.

Regards,

Trev.

I have in my possession a couple of BR drawings (schematics) from the York drawing office dated 1966/67; relating to the fitting of multiple working apparatus to Cl.03 and Cl.04 locos.

The system was apparently air operated / pneumatic and involved some twelve jumper cables/hoses connecting the locos which would be coupled cab to cab.

This appears to be a similar arrangement to that used on some of the 'cut down' BPGV locos.

The drawings list the locos to which they refer, and is specific in their pairings, namely:-

Cl.03

2052 & 2053, 2071 & 2074

Cl.04

2204 & 2248, 2230 & 2232, 2242 & 2244, 2260 & 2261, 2263 & 2264, 2265 & 2340, 2271 & 2272,

I recall multiple working fitted Cl.03 shunters working in the North-East during the late 60s early 70s - around Tyne Yard ?

However, I cannot recall any mention of similar pairings, and m.u. fitted Cl.04 shunters.

The Ian Allan spotting books were always a bit light on such matters, and I don't have any of the more informative Railway Observers for that period.

I know that 2244 was later sold into industrial (hire) use in South Wales with Messrs A.R.Adams of Newport but I never noted any modifications when I saw it many, many moons ago.

Can anyone shed further light on this subject ?

Were the Cl.o4 locos ever fiteed with multiple working equipment. ?

Brian R

From Volume 2 of 'The Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley Railway, and its antecedant canals', published by Oakwood.

Initial m-u conversions carried out at Landore in 1965:- D2141-46

2143/2146 withdrawn 1968/67 respectively

2119-2120 converted 1968; 2120 and 2121 being noted as fitted with radio-telephones

03151/2 converted in September 1974

03382 converted late 1974.

Whilst only two locos were specifically noted as having R/T equipment, presumably others were also fitted.

There is no evidence that 03145 was ever fitted with R/T equipment. I believe 2120/1 where fitted for working around Swansea docks. I doubt that any of the other cut down loco's where fitted with it as there was no need for it on the BPGV. With regards to the conversion the original 6 were done in Swindon Works, 03145/D2145 was in there during April/May 1965 and released from works  to 87E  (SWANSEA LANDORE), in July1965 still in green. I don't know where 2119 & 2120 where converted but I suspect Swindon. 03151/2 where converted in Doncaster Works as far as I know. The only loco not converted at a works was 03382 which was converted a Ebbw Jcn in the early 80's.

Paul J.

• 3 years later...

Archived