"Highland Sulzers" - Lochgorm Works, Inverness: Scale Seven

Indomitable026

Mornin' chaps,

During 83 Inverness gained its own 37 allocation 37 025/035/114/183/260/261 and 262. 183 looked good with the little headlight on the nose.

Sept 25th 1982 25072 and 27003 double headed the 17.40 Inverness to Aberdeen passenger.

Jan 83 saw 25319 at Keith then 25189/196 and 185 working the 06.05 Inverness to Keith speedlink on different days

May 83 saw one of the Ethels 97250 worked through Inverness from the Aberdeen direction in a freight for trials on the Kyle line.

Sept 83 25201 and 25239 were double heading a Winsford bound salt train between Inverness and Aberdeen. 

Cheers

Dave

Great,

Thats some 25's identified then....

You just need to find me some 24 workings............

Flickr - what would we do without it?

Looks a good subject - bookmarked.

Ian

• Like 1

Dig out Peter Bond's articles on building the signal cabin (the Highland always called their boxes cabins) at Kyle - August and September 2012 BRMs (I think, near there anyway). 4mm work I know, but the completed thing really does look great.

Or join the Highland Railway society as they will be reprinted soon in their journal, along with the drawings of Kyle cabin.  It looks to be of similar size but with different windows - because the Kyle extension was signalled with Saxby & Farmer equipment, what you are showing is from Dutton.  Go to "the Signal Box.org" for a lot more on these and also other pictures of some of the other Inverness cabins which will have been similar.

All power to your elbow; well modelled this will look grand and I can see you have spotted the target on the doors of the running shed which was really characteristic.

• Like 2

Dig out Peter Bond's articles on building the signal cabin (the Highland always called their boxes cabins) at Kyle - August and September 2012 BRMs (I think, near there anyway). 4mm work I know, but the completed thing really does look great.

Or join the Highland Railway society as they will be reprinted soon in their journal, along with the drawings of Kyle cabin.  It looks to be of similar size but with different windows - because the Kyle extension was signalled with Saxby & Farmer equipment, what you are showing is from Dutton.  Go to "the Signal Box.org" for a lot more on these and also other pictures of some of the other Inverness cabins which will have been similar.

All power to your elbow; well modelled this will look grand and I can see you have spotted the target on the doors of the running shed which was really characteristic.

Thats a great help,

Thanks Mark

Well, that was a very civilised day of "research" at the Keighley and Worth Valley diesel gala, featuring;

D0226

It was a little cold so most research was done from the bar car.

What a fabulous day and line up, well done all concerned!!

Forgot my camera tho, but heres a link to someone that didn't  http://www.wnxx.com/content/260413/kwvr260413.htm

and some cracking video

(scroll forward to 7m26secs for the 26!)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

By way of a 'brain dump', this is the sort of concept i've been thinking about.

The layout would be viewed from across the Inverness Station avoiding lines, back towards the Lochgorm works. The south bound platforms of the station forming a back drop.

To the left you have the Loco Signal box with a lattice signal gantry.

The works forms the main building in the middle of the layout (with opportunities for a fiddle yard out the back)

To the right you have the fueling roads

Untitled_2013050811334100.pdf

It may be a simple concept but with the beauty of the historic old buildings and detail available from the diesel servicing facilities i'm hoping it will provide a layout equally as interesting as my existing - similar in concept - layout 'Diesels in the Duchy'.

• Like 1

I just caught up with this most interesting topic and look forward to following your progress.

Here are a few pics from my first visit to Inverness in 1981 which, hopefully, will be of interest.

26021 & 26023

post-7898-0-43567800-1368013321_thumb.jpg

The signal box

post-7898-0-58203200-1368013407_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-26451200-1368013474_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 5

I just caught up with this most interesting topic and look forward to following your progress.

Here are a few pics from my first visit to Inverness in 1981 which, hopefully, will be of interest.

26021 & 26023

attachicon.gif26021 & 26023 at Inverness.jpg

The signal box

attachicon.gifInverness signal box.jpg

attachicon.gif27041 at Inverness.jpg

Mal

Great stuff!!

Keep em coming......

I shall be following this with interest. I love old works, I passed Inverness on the train once and have been fascinated by it since.

I have also researched Horwich and it's 18" gauge railway, plus done some work looking at Arles in southern France, most of which is visible from the Avignon-Marseille main line.

Somehow, even years after closure, these places just ooze atmosphere.

• Like 1

I shall be following this with interest. I love old works, I passed Inverness on the train once and have been fascinated by it since.

I have also researched Horwich and it's 18" gauge railway, plus done some work looking at Arles in southern France, most of which is visible from the Avignon-Marseille main line.

Somehow, even years after closure, these places just ooze atmosphere.

Yes same here.

The first time I went up was 1983 and I remember it clearly, hence modelling that year.

Although I did have a wobble this morning on the train on the way in,while discussing the project with a railway colleague. He thinks i should model it 10 years earlier to include 24s and all sorts of different green and blue livery combinations, including all the odd hybrids....

answers on a postcard.....

Here's a couple of more pics I've managed to dig out.

First, Eastfield's 27056 stabled at Inverness and lurking in the distance some 26s....

post-7898-0-43152700-1368023184_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-08919400-1368023134_thumb.jpg

Having seen the superb 'Diesels in the Duchy' at Railex NE last year, I can't wait to see your Inverness layout.

Mal

ps I was also at the K&WVR diesel gala and caught 26038

post-7898-0-72254700-1368023450_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here's a couple of more pics I've managed to dig out.

First, Eastfield's 27056 stabled at Inverness and lurking in the distance some 26s....

attachicon.gif27056 at Inverness.jpg

attachicon.gif26s at Inverness.jpg

Having seen the superb 'Diesels in the Duchy' at Railex NE last year, I can't wait to see your Inverness layout.

Mal

ps I was also at the K&WVR diesel gala and caught 26038

attachicon.gifK&WVR Diesel Gala 26th - 28th April 2013 027.JPG

Thanks for the compliment, thats very kind.

26038 sounded fabulous that day. The perfect afternoon really !

I liked Inverurie too. And Stratford..and Newton Abbott...and Highbridge...and Worcester. I wish I'd been able to go round them all.

Sadly, Donny and Crewe it was in steam days, with Derby, Crewe and Swindon added in diesel days.

Oh, and I LOVE Beziers works......

Edited by JeffP

Maybe I've misinterpreted your admittedly 'rough plan' but the Far North Platform lines join the avoiding lines to the east of the overbridge and should in theory appear on the far right of your plan forming the 3rd side of the triangle.

I love this concept btw, being an Inverness lad I wish I had the space to model the whole area in 4mm.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your admittedly 'rough plan' but the Far North Platform lines join the avoiding lines to the east of the overbridge and should in theory appear on the far right of your plan forming the 3rd side of the triangle.

I love this concept btw, being an Inverness lad I wish I had the space to model the whole area in 4mm.

Erm, i'm not sure quite what you mean.

The platforms i've shown on the left are the south bound platforms.

The bridge on the right has been brought forward as convenient 'scenic break'. it should be further back.

Does that answer the question?

Looking through pics of my second visit to Inverness in the mid 1980s, I found this pic which shows the southbound platforms nicely. 47120 'RAF Kinloss' awaiting departure.

Having studied your trackplan more closely, I can see the similarity in concept with 'Diesels in the Duchy'. Should provide plenty of action.

post-7898-0-17037700-1368090325_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 3

Looking through pics of my second visit to Inverness in the mid 1980s, I found this pic which shows the southbound platforms nicely. 47120 'RAF Kinloss' awaiting departure.

Having studied your trackplan more closely, I can see the similarity in concept with 'Diesels in the Duchy'. Should provide plenty of action.

attachicon.gif47120 'RAF Kinloss' at Inverness.jpg

Mal

My concept is 'Essence of' rather than an exact replica.

If you compared 'Diesels in the Duchy' to the actual location of St Blazey, it's actually quite different.

• Like 1