"Highland Sulzers" - Lochgorm Works, Inverness: Scale Seven

Indomitable026

Hi Damian

Just came across your thread and thought "great minds think alike"!

Have been working on a suitable layout to store my loco collection and after years of trial and error had decided on a small "plank" layout 1200 x 400mm to provide a complete layout in N gauge!

http://imm.io/162aw

Complete with turntable for the fiddle yard and based on the front elevation of IS depot from the 1980's.

http://imm.io/1628Z

Yeah I know not 7mm but compact, space saving and manageable!

http://imm.io/16284

I have a lot of useful data and some layout options if it can be of assistance in the future....

Regards David

• Like 2

Damien,

Are you familar with the layout "Western Road"?  It was in MRJ about a year back?

The builder used a wonderful technique of using a carriage siding full of carriages (that never really moved I beleive) as a backdrop.  I thought this was very effective. 

I think stock was left on the Rose Street Curve (the name of the link between the lines coming in from the south & east to the further north lines).  Even if it was not, the carriage sidings and DMU stabling was just beyond this so it could work much the same?

Damien,

Are you familar with the layout "Western Road"?  It was in MRJ about a year back?

The builder used a wonderful technique of using a carriage siding full of carriages (that never really moved I beleive) as a backdrop.  I thought this was very effective. 

I think stock was left on the Rose Street Curve (the name of the link between the lines coming in from the south & east to the further north lines).  Even if it was not, the carriage sidings and DMU stabling was just beyond this so it could work much the same?

Yes we were next to him at Warley a couple of years ago with "Diesels in the Duchy".

Great bloke, great layout and yes i'm nicking his great idea.....

Hi Damian

Have been working on a suitable layout to store my loco collection and after years of trial and error had decided on a small "plank" layout 1200 x 400mm to provide a complete layout in N gauge!

Complete with turntable for the fiddle yard and based on the front elevation of IS depot from the 1980's.

I have a lot of useful data and some layout options if it can be of assistance in the future....

Regards David

Hi David,

Indeed great minds!

I would be very interested in information you may have.

I'll have a proper look at your photo's tonight.

Thanks for making contact.

Hi Damian,

The track plan looks great. Are you having fiddle yard both ends.

Cheers Peter.

Not got that far, but yes i guess so.

Perhaps one at each end for the avoiding line traffic.

I'm also thinking about one at the back of/ in the main shed to shuffle loco's.

Must get round to working this out in full size and see how big it needs to be.

It also strikes me that I may be able to model a second signal box on the right hand side. This box controlled the junction between the Far North plaforms and the avoiding lines. The box sat at near right-angles to the track! 

Again the full size plan will work this out. I don't want to overcrowd the space and make it look contrived.

I've got Templot now, just need some time to learn to use it!!

• Like 1

It might start getting pretty big if both fiddleyards have complete trains. Time to get the Crayons out again, it will be interesting to see how big it works out to be.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By way of a 'brain dump', this is the sort of concept i've been thinking about.

The layout would be viewed from across the Inverness Station avoiding lines, back towards the Lochgorm works. The south bound platforms of the station forming a back drop.

To the left you have the Loco Signal box with a lattice signal gantry.

The works forms the main building in the middle of the layout (with opportunities for a fiddle yard out the back)

To the right you have the fueling roads

attachicon.gifUntitled_2013050811334100.pdf

It may be a simple concept but with the beauty of the historic old buildings and detail available from the diesel servicing facilities i'm hoping it will provide a layout equally as interesting as my existing - similar in concept - layout 'Diesels in the Duchy'.

D, just converted your PDF to a picture so casual viewers can see it:

post-6675-0-75341700-1368617597_thumb.jpg

It's going to be a deep layout!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that bit was beyond me...

Yeah really deep !!

I'm currently trying to get some drawings of the buildings, that should give us a clue.....

To scale, the footprint of your plan would be approx 7' deep x 20' long....

2006 GoogleEarth

post-6675-0-04090600-1368628044_thumb.jpg

2009 GoogleEarth

post-6675-0-86546700-1368628040_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the sheds

post-6675-0-42364900-1368628046_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To scale, the footprint of your plan would be approx 7' deep x 20' long....

2006 GoogleEarth

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_02 May. 15 15.16.jpg

2009 GoogleEarth

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_03 May. 15 15.16.jpg

Close-up of the sheds

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_01 May. 15 15.14.jpg

Don't intend modelling it all, perhaps less than half the length of the shed, it will go off the back at an angle

If you imagine the lines at the bottom - which are the avoiding lines - parallel to the front of the layout.

Draw a straight line through the building to disect it parallel with the front of the layout. see the sketch

Not sure what the angle will be - i'd draw it on your photo, but i've no idea how to do that.....

Hi Damian

My N-Gauge layout is 4ft long with about 10ins for the turntable fiddle yard and it extends from the two road entrance lines just to the left of your pink line at the east end to the front of the shed. Would imagine that you would need that 70% distance again to get in all the fuelling points. In N-guage that means you have a 6ft 6in layout on view and so you would need 3.5 times that for S7? My estimate would be 23ft if done to full scale! And thats without fiddle yards although my belief is that you would only need one at the east end and nothing at the Kyle end as the depot roads come to buffer stops.

I have not yet worked out how to include images in these postings so I can only refer you to the first image link on my last posting!

It took me a long time to find a suitable size and aspect for the layout that epitimises the location.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't know how I managed it but below is an indication of where I intend to model.

attachicon.gifLochgorm.jpg

Clearly adjustments will need to be made for the layout to be a sensible size!

Something strange about that plan - the image looks as though it's been taken obliquely....

Hi Damian

Regards David

Hi David,

I've never been in this situation before, in that, well, we're almost doing the same thing here.

You were there first so I may well have to come up with something else.

No worries

Hi David,

I've never been in this situation before, in that, well, we're almost doing the same thing here.

You were there first so I may well have to come up with something else.

No worries

Hi Damian

I really didn't want to put you off following your dream rather encourage you to get it off the ground and assist with any information that would be pertinent or useful.

I started this layout about 20 years ago (in my mind) and have struggled to find the time to progress it. The result will be a "micro layout" on a single plank that will allow me to set up and run engines in short order and act as a "display Cabinet" for my loco collection in N.

Your project will be on a completely different scale and have much more detail and cover a more realistic extent of the facility eg fuelling roads etc.

There is a lot more to making a layout a reality than you can ever imagine and so many levels of detail to model, please do not be put off doing something similar in a different scale.

Best Regards David

PS and no problem sharing resources if you think I can assist!

• Like 1

Hi Damian

This is the image of the depot I was trying to re-create - a classic spotters view!

http://imm.io/16d8S

(PS It wouldn't let me embed the image file so it has to be a link?)

The view i am more accustomed to, is off the end of platform 1/2, i spent many hours there in the 80's and 90's, wondering what beasties were hidden behind those stone walls. Looking forward to this one

Gary

David

Hi Damian

I really didn't want to put you off following your dream rather encourage you to get it off the ground and assist with any information that would be pertinent or useful.

I started this layout about 20 years ago (in my mind) and have struggled to find the time to progress it. The result will be a "micro layout" on a single plank that will allow me to set up and run engines in short order and act as a "display Cabinet" for my loco collection in N.

Your project will be on a completely different scale and have much more detail and cover a more realistic extent of the facility eg fuelling roads etc.

There is a lot more to making a layout a reality than you can ever imagine and so many levels of detail to model, please do not be put off doing something similar in a different scale.

Best Regards David

PS and no problem sharing resources if you think I can assist!

Ok thanks for that.

Just didn't want to be barging in on something that was already under way!

I appreciate the offer of help and will take you up on that in terms of picking your brains for research info.

As I said earlier on the thread, I've few jobs to finish on 'Diesels in the Duchy' & 'Black Country Blues' this year, so this should allow a long time to plan this layout - not something we are used to.

Construction is likely to start sometime next year.

The plan is to build it over 2 or 3 years, while I exhibit DitD.

Well thats then plan and thanks again!

• Like 1