Hockenhull Platts Railway

persistent_bodger

Hockenhull Platts Railway

Narrow Gauge

7mm 0-16.5

I have decided to kick start my interest in model railways again and commit to a project for 2010. The layout needs to be small 56iches x 12 inches (space an issue) simple (haven??™t built a layout for 15 years) interesting (no generic boring terminus) detailed (finescaleish) and Cheap (I have pennies rather than pounds!). So with this in mind I have racked my brains to try and come up with something. After a few failed track plans in 7mm it became very obvious there was no space, not even for my diminutive 0-4-0 tanks to chug on, so I moved to 4mm. This seemed like a logical step but I have got a little used to the larger scale and was keen to stay there. So back to the drawing board. Then after seeing an article on the Sand Hutton Railway I thought, 7mm narrow gauge on HO track this is the answer!

I have toyed with welsh narrow gauge in the past but with the space limit I felt I couldn??™t recreate a typical welsh scene so I put it on the back burner. Seeing the Sand Hutton Railway reminded me of pictures of Estate railways such as the Eaton Hall line, they were all a bit of a hotch potch and would allow me to have some artistic licence with the stock and track plan. I had also seen some pictures of Rev Teddy Boston??™s railway with the locomotives surrounded by trees and bushes. I realised I could squash a layout in a confined space, make it believable but also create something quite unique. So this is where I am up to.

The Fictitious Hockenhull railway runs along the river Gowy, Cheshire from Hockenhall to connect with the main line at Saighton. The line serves local Estates a number of flour mills and a Salt works. It was originally intended that the railway would continue east but financial restraints quashed any progress. The motive power consists of worn-out Hunslet and Peckett tank engines from the welsh quarries. These like the stock have seen better days and will no doubt see there final days on the Line.

I have included a map of the line, next job track plan and baseboards!

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated

post-8204-12626348714288_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you have made a great start with the planning - that's how we got going with our Group layout but it's now about 26ft long and is described here along with a map of the line. Like your layout - it had a reason to be there but it was never built! http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/TVG/henmore.htm

The layout (and a couple more)plus traders will be at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Open Day at Mickleover (Derby) on Saturday 16th January. Details of the show are here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Admin/Shows/tvg3.htm Perhaps next year you can visit us and bring your layout :D

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one

Mike

Lovely layout and it seems to have rubbed off, mine seems to be doubling in size! see

we will have to see how its goes but I would like to exhibit this layout in the futurerolleyes.gif

Looks like you have made a great start with the planning - that's how we got going with our Group layout but it's now about 26ft long and is described here along with a map of the line. Like your layout - it had a reason to be there but it was never built! http://www.ngtrains....TVG/henmore.htm

The layout (and a couple more)plus traders will be at the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Open Day at Mickleover (Derby) on Saturday 16th January. Details of the show are here http://www.ngtrains..../Shows/tvg3.htm Perhaps next year you can visit us and bring your layout biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one

Mike

Over the last few days I have built the base boards for the railway. Originally the layout was only one board but this has since doubled in size. Because of space limitations I have had to build two base boards 52 inches by 12inches, these fit together to produce an overall length of 104inches. Although it is quite narrow I believe I will be able to produce a reasonably spacious layout.

The baseboards are built firstly by constructing a 52 x 12 inch grid frame using 3 x 1 inch pine. This is glued and screwed together with middle brace bars to stop warping. On top of this 10mm plywood has been again screwed and glued into place. I was not sure about all the scenic elements so I sunk a lower board in to form part of the river and cut a hole for a turntable. After a cuppa I found I had a lot of wood left over so I built another 52 inch by 12inch grid frame and then called it a day. After some quickly drawn plans I decided the second board would be a scenic run to a salt works and in the future perhaps lead to a third board but that is a distant future dream besides I have no wood left! I cut out another river/stream and cut two large lakes either side of the proposed track bed to form a wharf. At one end there will be a quay? This will look something like the Lion salt works.

Anyway I have attached some pictures of the boards and some ideas of the track plan

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated

post-8204-1262720089386_thumb.jpg

post-8204-12627201058214_thumb.jpg

post-8204-12627201168838_thumb.jpg

post-8204-12627201308713_thumb.jpg

post-8204-12627201438911_thumb.jpg

It looks a sound piece of work to me if somewhat heavy. The only advice I could give is get some adjustable trestles so you can bring it up to a comfortable height for working on.Sketches look very professional too.

Thanks, I have built some trestles so the layout is at a better height and also fixed the boards together, now its time for some track laying. I will post some pictures as soon as I am able. This is the first time in a week I have been able to log in, unfortunately the site won't let me add pictures. I have been productive though and built 1 new locomotive, full details as soon as I can...biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while since I have been able to post progress but here is whats been going on. I have laid the track using peco 4mm gauge, although not narrow gauge in look this won't matter as the track will be buried, with plenty of weeds and mess. All that will be seen is the rails poking through the undergrowth. I have wired the layout up and sussesfully run trains up and down, pictures will follow in due course.

My attention has been drawn to the locomotive fleet. Having very little funds I have bought a number of 0-4-0 tanks off ebay and begun adapting them as best I could. So far I have a hunslet quarry type loco, a tram engine and 2 industrial tanks in a similar outline. Although freelance they have been a good basis to venture further into plans for prototype locomotives. I have begun experimenting with an outside framed hunslet as well as a ffestinoig prince. I have seen the peco and smallbrooke kits but I wanted something a little unique for the layout as well as refine my skills as a modeller.

The 4 locomotives require handrails, whistles etc and need painting and weathering. I am unsure of the liveries but think either lined penryhn balck, or flat green?

any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated

best

T

post-8204-126692367463_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692368874_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692370585_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692371918_thumb.jpg

post-8204-126692373169_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the comments, I am sorry not to have replied but a house move, bad internet connections and a holiday have prevented any modelling progress and replies. I have now finally been able to get around to some modelling and I can now update the latest progress.

Since my last post I have built, painted and weathered some of the locomotives and stock see link LOCOMOTIVES. I have made attachments to fix the boards together and have now begun to tackle track work and Buildings.

I decided to use peco track, I have seen some wonderful handmade 7mm track on this site but due to limited amounts of time it seemed more sensible to use off the shelf items to ease the construction of the layout. The track has been laid to my original plan but slightly modified so there is enough room for stock to pass one another and give an impression of unplanned narrow gauge line. The layout has been partially wired up with isolated sections in the sidings and allow for two operaters to run trains. Due to my descision to have a number of bridges and not really planning to scale my intentions the railway has shrunk somewhat. I think I hadn't accounted for the size of the points which has resulted in a rather cramped yard, but despite this I feel it gives a prototypical impression of estate narrow gauge lines. The track plan has also been modified between the two bridges to include another siding this is still being developed but will be laid in the next week or so. Once this is completed the track will be filled so only the rails can be seen, giving the impression of a rather rundown railway.

Other developments include the building of one bridge, water tower and turntable. The bridge is made of plasticard strips and is loosly based on one shown on the Sand Hutton Railway, I am currently constructing another but this will be planked I think (just to add interest). The turntable is the second I built the first resembling something you might get on a standard gauge line, this prooved very tricky and fragile and was later modified with the addision of planking as seen now. The water tower is again scratch built using wills bridge sections and plasticard, it needs detailing and painting. I have also made mockups of two of the other buildings on the line, one is going to be a wooden workshop/lifting shop and the other a corrugated light maintainance shed. I am also going to build a covered section near the turntable.

I have afree day so its time to crack on with the layout, more pictures to come

Any comments welcome

best

Tim

post-8204-127159695665.jpg

post-8204-127159698535_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127159700021_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127159702093.jpg

post-8204-127159703842.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I really like the look of this project. There's something about it that really appeals to me, I'm not sure whether it is the fact that it is a light railway with quaint buildings and features such as rudimentary bridges and basic facilities, or whether it is something else. I like the look of the quick sketch you did, and your recent pictures seem to bring that atmosphere to light.

One to keep an eye out on I think!

Jam smile.gif

Thank you for the comments

I have been quite busy, I have nearly completed a number of the buildings on the layout :

1. The maintainance Shed just needs some corrugated plastic card for the roof and brick work sides. It is built out of layered 1mm plasticard with the details scorn onto the top to simulate wooden planking. The size was determinded by the largest lcomotive I have and the space in the siding

2. The little covered section is made out of strips of plastic and only requires corrugated plastic card for the roof. This is quite small and provides shelter for one of my hunslet style locomotives.

3. The engine shed/lifting shop just needs a tiled roof or corugated not sure which? It again was built out of 1mm plastic card which was scorn to simulate wood. I am really happy with this one, I added some very simple beams inside and swinging doors at either end to let the light in. The roof has small windows cut in that allow just enough light to illuminate the space. I decided to paint it dark grey inside to add contrast between the light and the dark. I love seeing pictures of little engines hidden in old crampt sheds. The space to the side will be filled with machine equipment etc I can just squeeze 2 small hunslet type locomotives inside, I think one will have to be in a part built condition, perhaps poking out the back?

4. The water tower still requires the hose etc but these are on there way.

I have included some shots of the shed and buildings during construction.

Next job is to design and build the salt works, a bit of research and some careful planning I think over the next few weeks.

Comments welcome, Can anyone recomend a good simple fiddle yard design?

best

Tim

post-8204-127176010091.jpg

post-8204-127176011291.jpg

post-8204-127176012743.jpg

post-8204-127176046094.jpg

post-8204-127176049095_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127176051685.jpg

post-8204-127176070559.jpg

post-8204-127176116766.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I don't want to have to manhandle the locomotives if I can help it, but it mayhave to be the case as at present I have around 15 locomotives chassis ready for some narrowgauge body shells!

I am not sure you understood me, I was referring to the peco locolift where the loco+wagons is driven onto the lift then raised turned and ready to return to the board. Look on shortliners thread he uses double length locolifts, but cassettes are a cheaper option if you are confident about building them.

I am not sure you understood me, I was referring to the peco locolift where the loco+wagons is driven onto the lift then raised turned and ready to return to the board. Look on shortliners thread he uses double length locolifts, but cassettes are a cheaper option if you are confident about building them.

Sorry, I see what you mean. I will look into them today

best

Tim

Looks like a great layout! I like the plan, the stock and the structures. Nice work.

It does seem a real shame that you've used standard gauge track though.

Looks like a great layout! I like the plan, the stock and the structures. Nice work.

It does seem a real shame that you've used standard gauge track though.

Thank you, still a long way to go but its coming together. I was going to use scale track but seeing as its all going to be filled over (buried) I thought I would use what I had around the house. I think the area between the two yards will be done in some peco 0-16.5 track and also the point but I still need to revise a few things

Best

Tim

If it's going to be filled in then fair enough, it would be a shame to drop the standards set by your stock and structures.

Have you heard of NGRM online? It's a really friendly NG modelling forum, may also be worth joining there. No doubt your layout would be of interest to the members.

If it's going to be filled in then fair enough, it would be a shame to drop the standards set by your stock and structures.

Have you heard of NGRM online? It's a really friendly NG modelling forum, may also be worth joining there. No doubt your layout would be of interest to the members.

Thank you, I am hopefully going to be able to get the track work resolved this week in my head. I am just reconfiguring the area to the fiddle yard. Its going to be a while before I can lay everything as I am away on work buisness but I have been able to draw out some designs for some locomotives chassis I have.

I haven't heard of NGRM online, thanks I will check it out tonight, it would be good to see some more narrow gauge modelling

thanks again

best

Tim

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening everyone

Its been quite a hectic one this last month or so and unfortunately not on the model front but I have managed to catch up with things. Progress has resumed on the track plan which now may I say has again been halted. I am not sure about the second base board and may even include a third, (very small, basically a strip of track to a small station). I am thinking about this after the turntable. It would allow more scope for stock and also allow a station which has gradually disapeared from the original.

While I ponder on these 2 boards I thought it best to begin working on the one I am most happy with. The track has all been wired up with at least 2 isolated sections in each siding, this is to allow locos to be exchanged to run on different trains. I could not afford point motors so I attached strong wire to the point motion and covered it in brass tube, on the operater side a small knob has been added so points can be changed without the big hand in the sky! The knobs are concelled behind lumps of scenary and prove very affective if alittle time consuming to install, ( picture shows knob end with scenary over top). Next job was to bury the track this was done with self drying clay, carefully pushing it in to the sleepers, very boring and difficult when tackling points, but again effective. Next job was to bring the landscape upto track level. I opted for a rather haphasard solution. I built up layers of card soaked in pv and water, this dries hard but also warps and bends allowing small hills and slopes to appear. This is not ideal if you know what your after but it certainly creates some intersting sections that can develop naturally. I then added a liberal speading of poly filler, this is sometimes poured, which again creates some interesting sections especially by the river. Unfortunatley I didn't take any photos of this but I think it all comes out in the set of photos below.

The land was all painted in dark colours, this was to allow depth when adding the lighter mini nature scenary and sand track bed. I used system 3 acrylic which when mixed creates a lovely base coat. I have been playing around with some of the buildings in different positions as it became clear areas where getting overcrowded. Anyway I have attached the images of where I am up to but I will put some more on tomorrow which shows an almost complete board with scenary and buildings. I have also included some pictures of the locomotive fleet which have been growing slowly when I have a spare moment or too

comments welcome

best

Tim

post-8204-127472598826.jpg

post-8204-127472600373_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127472603237_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127472604971.jpg

post-8204-127472606813.jpg

post-8204-127472609235.jpg

post-8204-127472610938.jpg

post-8204-127472612689.jpg

post-8204-127472614116.jpg

post-8204-127472615929.jpg

post-8204-127472617538.jpg

Good Morning

I have taken some pictures of the first board with most of the scenary complete. I need to add fense posts, a number of trees, some large bushes on the back section, paint 2 of the buildings, add ponit levers, add general mess and locomotive parts barrels etc around the work shop and insert some people in and about the buildings and static lcomotives. The buildings, water tower, buffer stops etc need to be fixed in place, they were only placed to give some idea of where things are going. I have added a coaling stage and added a scrap junk pile by the workshops.

The scenary is all mini nature, using spring and winter grass mixed together and then adding various scales of foilage on top. The little river is very overgrown and has had sand to form the base. I will probably add some varnish in and about the place to look like water and oil. The ballast is very fine sand and grit from the garden which I think looks pretty good. I have also bought some mini nature tufts of grass but the spring version looks a bit bright so I have ordered some winter tufts instead. A thankyou must go to Dave and his 2010 entry Waton, without that I would never have seen the mini nature products used so effectively, cheers.

Progress on the locomotives has been alittle slow, but they are taking shape. 2 of them are static but they can be shunted around the yard. I plan to have at least 4 part built locomotives for shunting around the different sidings. These will all be in different states of repair etc

I have started work on the second board, slightly modifying the track plan and buring the track. There will be a small station/halt to service the line and perhaps a terminus after the end with the turntable, but we will have to see.

I think like any layout I have ever had I have over indulged on the locomotive front, still the line up of hunslets does remind me of some pictures taken by Ivo Peters in Dinorwic

I have posted a number of images of progress

best

Tim

post-8204-127477833068.jpg

post-8204-127477834348.jpg

post-8204-127477835752.jpg

post-8204-127477838075_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127477839778.jpg

post-8204-127477841105.jpg

post-8204-127477842841_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127477844225_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127477849166.jpg

post-8204-127477852251.jpg

post-8204-127477853386.jpg

post-8204-12747785534.jpg

post-8204-127477857248.jpg

post-8204-127477858799.jpg

post-8204-127477861108.jpg

post-8204-127477863253.jpg

post-8204-127477864634.jpg

post-8204-127477865756_thumb.jpg

post-8204-127477866857.jpg

I really, really like this! You have made the landscape and structures so realistic. I like the way you made the tracks almost sunken into the soil. The locomotives have a real narrow gauge feel about them. I can´t wait to see it totally finished.

Keep it up :clapping_mini:.

Tim this is looking wonderful - and such rapid progress - something I always struggle with! I hope at some stage I can visit this in the flesh? I'm guessing it's based at your family home?

Great to hear you using the mini-natur products - something I've dabbled with, and I'm after a Noch Gras-master next!

Archived