Please forgive my returning to the Coral but I have only just come across this thread.

Castle, many thanks for your (other) thread in which you re-built the K's kit and improved the racks.  I have a couple of the K's kits I want to do the same with and your pictures are a great help.  I have also been looking at Tourret and have a couple of questions that someone may be able to provide answers to.

The D2 Coral A was built in 2 batches in 1898 & 1908.  The 1898 batch was built with the Thomas brake which was eventually replaced (no idea of a date) by the DC version, but with a handle only at one end whereas the 1908 batch was built with the DC brake.  Castle's model and the 1941 photo of 41722 have the DC brake handle at both ends and I recall the Board of Trade (or some body) requiring brake handles to be on both sides at the right hand end.  I know conformity did not happen overnight, but after what date would the change have taken place?  Was the batch of 1908 built with a handle at both ends? (41722 was of the 1908 batch.)

My other question refers to the shackles.  The plan in Tourret and photos do not show any shackles but the 1941 photo of 14722 does.  Has anyone any idea when the shackles might have been put on to the wagons?  Was the 1908 batch built with them?  It would seem that in the early days, the weight of the load, down in the well and being clamped in the framework, might have been considered sufficient to have a secure load, so why and when did the shackles make an appearance?  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

David

Would the use of shackles have coincided with the use of these wagons for the transport of steel plate from South Wales during WW2? I can't imagine them been used in conjunction with the transport of plate glass, as it would be far too easy to break the glass when tightening them- far safer to use pieces of wood to wedge the glass in place.

Just looked at the image of the Coral in post 106- it would appear that the outer frames are bolted to the wagon body, but the inner ones are moveable (there appear to be toothed guides to locate the tops at least)

Edited by Fat Controller

Please forgive my returning to the Coral but I have only just come across this thread.

The D2 Coral A was built in 2 batches in 1898 & 1908.  The 1898 batch was built with the Thomas brake which was eventually replaced (no idea of a date) by the DC version, but with a handle only at one end whereas the 1908 batch was built with the DC brake.  Castle's model and the 1941 photo of 41722 have the DC brake handle at both ends and I recall the Board of Trade (or some body) requiring brake handles to be on both sides at the right hand end.  I know conformity did not happen overnight, but after what date would the change have taken place?  Was the batch of 1908 built with a handle at both ends? (41722 was of the 1908 batch.)

My other question refers to the shackles.  The plan in Tourret and photos do not show any shackles but the 1941 photo of 14722 does.  Has anyone any idea when the shackles might have been put on to the wagons?  Was the 1908 batch built with them?  It would seem that in the early days, the weight of the load, down in the well and being clamped in the framework, might have been considered sufficient to have a secure load, so why and when did the shackles make an appearance?  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

David

The NRM has the GWR Wagon registers for these wagons. By getting in touch with them they should be able to provide a copy of the relevant pages. This is very likely to have information on when substantial alterations were made. search.engine@nrm.org.uk  The catalogue is on the web to give the book reference you need www.nrm.org.uk/ResearchAndArchive

Paul

• 3 months later...

Since I posted up a photo of GWR Conflat 39860 a few months ago, the wagon's container was the unfortunate victim of arson.

About a month ago, 39860 was brought down to Bewdley and has had the container removed along with the rotten wood underneath it. This has given me the opportunity to photograph the framework of the Conflat for anyone who may need it. Hopefully they may prove useful to someone, you never know when you take the photos. Enjoy and hope they help someone...

13217927194_e45d7eabeb_z.jpg

13219051894_350f4dcfd7_z.jpg

13218878083_83e7b7d198_z.jpg

13218732685_7396f535d1_z.jpg

13219072424_ef7f2975f2_z.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers for that Gareth

I got some photos of it too when i was there last weekend, has rather given me som interesting ideas for models, so may have to hunt out some really decent drawings at some point...

When and if it gets its proper buffers back if you can please post a photo of the buffing gear and particularly how they go into the frame and spring off the frame... I may have to come down myself if this project gets off the ground :P

Cheers again

Mark

• 7 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello, The new frames have been delivered to GWS Didcot on Friday 17 June. Photos of the frames being unloaded/loaded from Steeelway vehicle into one of the GWS Transfer wagons. 

Phots: Michael werrell.

Many thanks

to Steelway and GWS Didcot.

20220617_085327_resized (1).jpg

20220617_090724_resized.jpg

20220617_090908_resized.jpg

• Like 4