'South Hall Yard'

scanman

Well, it's been over a fortnight since the last updat - but at lleast I've been working on the project! Tracklaying is now complete and followed the process in the images below.

The trackbed is sliced cork wall-tile - for the sipmple reason it was available to hand and already paid-for! Originally I was going to ay the track directly on the foam, but recent comments on this and other newsgroups - plus some experimentation of my own - have shown this can be quite noisy. The trackbed was effectively 'half track width' then laid to pre-marked centrelines with infills where neccessary. (trackbed 1)post-3469-126808766486_thumb.jpg

Once laid, the bed was painted using 'test pots' in relevant shades from the local 'DIY' shop (the mind boggles that people would actually want to paint houses in colours aligned to that of a trackbed)! (trackbed (2).post-3469-126808788361_thumb.jpg

All trackwork was painted before laying, and the railhead then cleaned with an abrasive track rubberpost-3469-126808792114_thumb.jpg

This provides masses of 'filings' - which if done in situ can sit in the ballast. Rubber & quartz doth make bad bedfellows with precision mechanisms!post-3469-126808816449_thumb.jpg

Track alignment at baseboard crossings follows the time-honoured process of soldering to screwheads - mine sink 25mm into the endboard so should be firm!post-3469-12680883187_thumb.jpg The track crossing the baseboard was soldered immediatley to maintain alignment - then:-

Again - as usual - the track is fixed with a liberal spread ofPVA adhesive. I then spread ballast on top, brushing it to shape.post-3469-126808851415_thumb.jpg I would stress this is a 'preliminary treatment' - more ballast will be added later along with scenic dressings in the shape of ground pastels for shading, etc. The intention is to fully wire & test the trackwork before proceeding to that stage.

At this stage the track/ballast is wieghted-down overnight - and here my other pastime (diving) post-3469-12680887904_thumb.jpgcomes in handy with the aquisition of lots of lead for wieghtbelt purposes (luckily it's winter and diving opportunities are limited)!

The first section - entry to the yard and the coal road - were laid in one evening - then I ran out of lead!

post-3469-126808936435_thumb.jpg

The next day the covers came off post-3469-126808936621_thumb.jpgalong with the loose ballastpost-3469-12680893677_thumb.jpg (I can recommend using a *good* car vacuum for this - mines a 'Vax'!)

post-3469-126808936857_thumb.jpg

Each section of track has it's own jumper wires soldered-in priorpost-3469-126808936965_thumb.jpg to laying(in preparation for DCC control) and of course the crossing post-3469-126808937075_thumb.jpg also has it's own jumper in readiness for route selection via 'Tortoise' point motors.

Pointwork installation is done prior to fitting tie-bars. The tiebar area of the trackbed is protected by masking tapepost-3469-126808953123_thumb.jpg which *should* be removed prior to laying the point work. post-3469-126808953055_thumb.jpgSpot the (deliberate) mistake!

Having marked-out the track centrelines prior to laying the bed, the alignment *should* have been okay. Unfortunately the runround section wasnt!post-3469-1268089681_thumb.jpg Okay - it was only at one end...post-3469-126808968176_thumb.jpg. Fortunately copperclad sleepers are quite forgivingpost-3469-12680896825_thumb.jpg. I would have hated to do that with ABS-based products (or the standard 'EM' construction using rivetted sleepers!).

Anyway, the visible trackwork is now complete post-3469-126808994722_thumb.jpgpost-3469-126808994789_thumb.jpg and I've even started some scenery!

post-3469-126809004592_thumb.jpg

Joking aside, the electrics (Yughh) come next. This will effectively consist of a 'ring' per baseboard with the various jumper attached to it. Track feeds will also run to the pointmotors to change the polarity of the crossings. I *think* that with only six points I can probably use two 9-pin connectors (one per board) for all feeds. The cable connectors will be long enough to enable the control position to be either to the front or rear of the layout.

The next update will be a little delayed - 'Emsford Mill' - a building for a club EM layout of the same name beckons. All I have to do is find a suitable prototype - and hopefully you will be able to follow the project in the 'scenics' section of RMWeb...

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... More than a little delayed...

Whilst working on 'Emsford Mill' and another project close to my heart, 'South Hall Yard' has been quietly mouldering away in the workshop. Or should I say warping away'.... On returning to it today with the intention of sorting out the PMs on the left-hand board, I found that the board itself (including the urethane foam baseboard) was badly warped. The workshop is not damp, and the construction methods (for me) not unusual. I can only put it down to a sheet of 'dodgy' ply from a local DIY store.. (suffice it to say that, whilst I was cutting it for side strips I was somewhat concerned that some of the ply layers were not continuous across the board - and some pieces fell out!). I currently can see no remedy to the problem that is 'doable' - particularly with regard to the time left. So (if it's allowed in the rules) I'm faced with the prospect of starting over.

However, maybe all is not lost. Having seriously re-thought my personal approach to the hobby (which 'til now has imitatied a butterfly) it's time to settle down and do something that will last! I will explain more later - suffice it to say that the new competition piece will be a corner section of the new layout, which, whilst simple should offer some intersting shunting movements and a place to 'watch the trains go by' - all in a space 4' x 3' 6".

I'll develop a plan & maybe a draft model over the next few days.

Regs

Ian B

Archived