Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

It was a bit of a shame we had 4520 on yesterdays trip, but due to a fire ban, it was not possible to use the pig. That being said, I didn't hear one complaint from the train arriving until sweeping the train in the evening, and everyone on the train was happy enough with the trip. And, as a bonus, a substitute 4-6-0 was found at Robertson...

post-14921-0-60666300-1380433931_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice video David. Personally, I would like to see a 44, 42 or a 421 on the front, reminesent of the old Central West Express, or Daylight Express's... But, then again,  beggers can't be choosers...!  

69843, (hi mate, AMRA soon?) you say that there was a fire ban,(presumably the Southern Highlands) but today (Sunday), the Heritage Express/RTM was running a steam hauled train from Central to Hurstville. Before returning their train to Thirlmere, leaving Central around 12.30, passing Padstow just before 1pm...

Cheers, Gary.

Fire ban was just for yesterday, due mainly to the high wind (it must have been about 40-50km/h down at Robertson). The ban was lifted today, due to better conditions for the run both th Hurstville (twice) and the run back to base.

The firebans could be a problem for the rest of the year, as conditions are predicted to be a bit less favorable this Summer, but we all hope it won't happen.

And AMRA as soon as it's back open, and I can get there.

The second Carnival of Flowers steam train form the Sunday, which was supposed to be unassisted but it didn't turn out that way. It shows the two torturous climbs on the route to Toowoomba, the Little Liverpool Range just west of Grandchester (the second half of the first video) and the main slog up the Great Dividing Range where the line climbs 2500 feet in 29 miles. In first part of the second video you can see how much of the track (with orange tape beside it and/or new ballast) was completely rebuilt after the 2011 floods. If you know where to look there is also a brief shot of me hanging out of one of the windows. :)

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

With the large bushfire currently burning out the back in the Blue Mountains, the news is looking terrible for the Zig Zag Railway. As of 10:47PM, it would seem according to the NSW Rural Fire Service website that the line has been hit, and hit hard. The attached is a screenshot of the fire spread over the Zig Zag (Top points under slider, Clarence over on right).

post-14921-0-19413200-1382012608.png

Valley Heights (RTM outpost) is currently near another out of control fire as well.

post-14921-0-36076600-1382012650.png

Whilst I know I am talking on the railway side of it, I also hope that there are no fatalities or serious injuries with the fires, not only in the Blue Mountains, but throughout the whole of NSW.

There has been at least one fatality from the fire and the number of homes destroyed is now in the hundreds.

The news from the Zig Zag Railway is not good. All accommodation carriages, some operational carriages and 2 rail motors have been destroyed. The office has been destroyed and the workshop damaged. The carriages inside the shed, the station and signal box have survived. No significant damage to locomotives apart from paintwork. No word yet on Top Points, Edgecombe or track damage. Clarence appears to be intact although the fire came very close (houses were destroyed nearby).

The nearby Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park & Railway has been spared, but this is how close it came.

David

Some more pics of the fire damage.

Confirmed losses at Bottom Points are RM2016, accommodation carriages, six other carriages, the machine shop and the office. Damage at Top Points was confined to the relay hut.

David

So very unfortunate, the Zig-Zag is a wonderful and unique railway and it it such a pity that the odds have been stacked against the preservationists in recent times.  I sincerely hope that they can recover from this latest set back.  Went there when we were in Australia some 5 or 6 years ago, a brilliant and different experience.  Good luck guys!!

Alan

Fire tears through iconic Zig Zag Railway

Fire damage running into the millions of dollars has crippled Zig Zag Railway, one of the Blue Mountains' renowned tourist attractions.

The railway was, until Thursday, on the cusp of reopening train rides to the public when it became a victim of New South Wales' crushing spring bush fire disaster.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/fire-tears-through-iconic-zig-zag-railway-20131019-2vt6v.html

Well, to take the topic away from the fires and the sad plight of the Zig Zag, Heritage Express is running the Newcastle Flyer tomorrow (although with no 36, due to the fire bans).

The consist is now, as far as I'm aware loco wise, 4490/4520, GMS, MCA, FS, RFN, CN, HN, ABS, PFZ, 4490/4520 (I'm not sure right now which engine will be leading and trailing).

Timings are:

Sydney Terminal 0848, Strathfield 0901/0903, West Ride 0913, Hornsby 0936/0938, Cowan 0953, Hawkesbury River 1003, Gosford 1027/1050 (trailing diesel detaches*), Morriset 1142, Broadmeadow 1202, Civic 1210/1212, Newcastle 1215.

The train will then be turned and return:

Newcastle 1527, Civic 1529/1531, Broadmeadow 1540, Morriset 1622, Gosford  1701/1721 (*diesel re-attaches), Hawksbury River 1747, Cowan 1803, Hornsby 1826/1829, West Ride 1854, Strathfield 1904/1907, Central 1922.

*Diesel departs Gosford 1055, Morriset 1132, Broadmeadow 1210, Newcastle 1220/1533 (not sure of mid arrangement with the altered train consist), Broadmeadow 1545, Morriset 1627, Gosford 1715*

The light movement may change, but that is to been seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...