Australia - Preservation Scene

DavidB-AU

The 442 (we don't have an 80...yet) was not on the tour, as it was only a 6 car set and was not required. The diesel/s is/are usually used as extra 'oomph' when trips are taken over the line between Unanderra and Moss Vale, particularly as we usually get 4-6 extra carriages (including the gin) on that trip and the line is quite steep between Unanderra and Robertson.

Edit. As a footnote, 6 cars is about all a 36 is allowed to take on the Como bank.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

Vintage Alcos transferring the Pullman cars to Werris Creek.

Cheers

David

I'd heard about this, but did not realise it was for the Pullmans...interesting that MCA2 (I think) is acting as the crew vehicle, as VHO 1816 is under restoration in the Roundhouse.

It's even more interesting to note that the Pullmans are to return, so I wonder if it is a test run for them.

http://extranet.artc.com.au/docman/DocManFiles/DocTypes/TAA/Files/1147-2013.PDF?1379033735

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Following up on an item from last year, Southern Downs Steam Railway C17 971 sheared a crank pin and bent a couple of rods en route to Wallangarra back in November. The damage is repairable but will take time. Queensland Rail Heritage as agreed to hire C17 974 to SDSR so services can recommence. It will be running light (with water gin) from Ipswich to Warwick on Wednesday and the SDSR Australia Day run to Wallangarra is back on.

Cheers

David

• 1 month later...

Following on from my "modern scene" post about sugar cane trains, here is Victoria Mill's preserved loco "Homebush" (Hudswell Clarke No. 1067 of 1914) which runs tourist trains on the mill's network. The loco made a brief cameo in Baz Luhrmann's film Australia, pretending to be in Darwin. The carriages were built by Decauville in 1885.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ZXO_pOHuw

Cheers
David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the NSW steam season kicked off well with the annual Festival of Steam. While I don't have many photos, as I was working the train (photos later...), the one man film crew was out to watch and record the trains. For those who know where to look, I am visible in the video in the FS, as well as my little camera affixed to the side of 3265's cab, on the fireman's side. That footage will be added later, when I can access it again (long story..)

• Like 3

Yesterday's ARHS Western Wanderer with BB18¼ 1089. The trip included the first steam train to Springfield Central roughly 3 months after the new line opened. There is no run around at the terminus so 1620 hauled it back to Darra. The train continued to Ipswich and returned via Tennyson.

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A news update for all:

The LVR's 5917 is on it's way up to the Maitland area to run a tour to Pelton, reportedly with SMR18 tomorrow. It will then stay up there (as far as I know) for Steamfest next weekend

I've got my man on the job up there this year. I believe he will be travelling on the Great Train Race trip (not sure which train), so hopefully some good footage there. It's between 3265 and 3642 this year, as 5917 is dealing with the other shuttles.

This year's Great Train Expo in Sydney is shaping up to be interesting, as 3265 will be running this year on the shuttles with 3642, and 2705 will be on display for the first time. There is also due to be a race between 3642 and 3265 between Central and Homebush.....should be great fun!

http://www.heritageexpress.com.au/pages/tours-events/2014-06-002-SPEV.htm