Show us your scratchbuilt building

Thank you all for your kind remarks, I'll just say again that I am retired, have all the time in the world to do things, and other than printer ink my stuff costs nothing so that if it goes wrong I just bin it. Sadly, whilst all being incorporated into a layout called 'Bear's End' I have to take down the layout and revert the room to a bedroom once more....  :(

Whilst I can admire the technical complexity of some of the magnificent work done in plastics by previous contributors to this thread [there is much more in some of their blogs] I do so enjoy the challenge of making it look real with cornflake packet, florists wire, clear recycled plastic, CD cases, old calendar backs, scraps of mosquito blinds etc, although I have to admit to buying station valance, not for the want of trying, I assure you. Since plastic 'I' beam RSJs rose in price to be 50 pence for a 30mm length I've made my own, tack-welding strips together with superglue before running a fillet of PVA along with my 'Fine Tip' glue applicator, my vade mecum.

Weathering Scalescenes paper with water colours is not difficult as long as you use a good paper about 90gsm and printer ink that does not run when dampened, [Epson Durabrite is very good] To make a spreading 'damp' stain, make a patch damp with clear water, and at the bottom drop in a drop of the green/dark mixture you choose. The capillary action of the paper will draw the colour through the paper in a far more convincing way than you could ever paint it. Even plastic can be weathered with water colour by adding a little gum-arabic to the paint/water mixture, with the added advantage that it can be wiped off with a damp cotton bud.

Try Naples yellow, a heavily sedimenting pigment mixed with Paynes Gray, a grey based on Prussian [?] Blue as a moss/mould colour, it can be mixed quite thickly, and splattered with a toothbrush onto a dampened roof to be moss, or dripped as a liquid into a damp patch to be a green damp stain.

New Gamboge and  Cadmium orange mixed makes a convincing yellow lichen on sunny aspects of most roofs and Sepia is a good brown 'dirtier' rather than using a plain black. Mixed with Prussian Green it makes the sort of colour that you'd find on brickwork somewhere always wet and Prussian Green will make a convincing weathered copper colour. Ivory black washed around window frames allows its sediment to penetrate into very fine cracks and joins around glazing, etc. and soaks into distressed wood without looking like runny black paint.

Wooden lolly sticks, Bar Stucks stirrers etc colour nicely left to soak in a container with a mashed up black inkjet cartridge, drying out a nice weathered grey [see Mill wheel access steps etc]

Finally, for now, proving that you do not need plastic to do 'engineeringy' things, some sluice gates entirely made from card, florists wire, little slices of wire insulation and scraped and sanded cocktail sticks.

post-106-0-51481700-1375108539.jpg

If you're not bored into catalepsy by now and wish to know how I've done something, please do ask, best wishes,

Doug

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Doug, I feel we all owe you for your magnificent display of models and in particular, your weathering tips - Priceless.

Anyway, after reading that, I'm not so sure I should be writing this, the way I weathered an ash plant once.

It was built out of 100% styrene and I swamped it with Colron Jacobean dark oak wood dye - something that Iain Robinson swears he's never even heard of before - and rolled it around in a pile of neat cement powder, left it for half an hour or so, then tried brushing it off - amazing results!

Cheers,

Allan.

Colron? That's not like you, Allan!

Doug, thanks so much for your description. You are a gentleman...and a master modelmaker par excellence. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that there's no chance of boredom with work like this around!

cheers,

Iain

That abused ash plant.

attachicon.gifIMG_0196 - Copy.jpg

That is very effective.

I remember Colron, very very well.

It is NOT, repeat NOT the stuff to let a little 4 year old girl come into contact with when she is trying on a bridesmaid's dress...Oh how I remem., sniff,.....ber, sob.....

Doug

That is very effective.

It is NOT, repeat NOT the stuff to let a little 4 year old girl come into contact with when she is trying on a bridesmaid's dress...Oh how I remem., sniff,.....ber, sob.....

Doug

I wouldn't know Doug, I've never wore one, but you could ask Iain...I do know he's got a kilt despite not having the legs for it.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

That is very effective.

Doug

When were you a little 4 year old girl....... - second thoughts, I don't want to know...

Chubber

If you're not bored into catalepsy by now and wish to know how I've done something, please do ask, best wishes.............

Definitely not bored, take an unusual part of your modelling and feel free to give a...how I did it......seeing the pictures are delightful, understanding how you did something......inspirational. Those sluice gates, are unusual so if you would they would be fine. They remind me of the lovely ones of Ianin's on the Robinson / Downes thread.

Often when people say how they did something, you think ...hot dxxm why did that not occur to me. so many different people have different approaches, they are all fascinating.

Old Knotty

I like the cottage but in years to come the old Council Houses will be a classic, now adays they tend to be reasonably tidy, but in the 70s and 80s it was not unusual for the odd one to look very over grown and a complete tip

• Like 1

Old Knotty

I like the cottage but in years to come the old Council Houses will be a classic, now adays they tend to be reasonably tidy, but in the 70s and 80s it was not unusual for the odd one to look very over grown and a complete tip

These are actually models of the one that i was raised in On Newstead estate near Barlaston I just had to have a couple on my layout :-)
  • Like 3

Being from Stoke on trent and living in Ohio in the US I have to build my structures from pics my mates take for me and memory but here they are for your perusal hope you like them attachicon.gif2220_50462482684_1203_n.jpgattachicon.gif2220_50462487684_1509_n.jpgattachicon.gif2220_50462492684_1722_n.jpgattachicon.gif2220_50462497684_1939_n.jpgattachicon.gif260427_10151055172072685_847913048_n.jpgattachicon.gif540185_10151013755252685_1692137938_n.jpgattachicon.gif549080_10151013754507685_780930678_n.jpg

"Council Houses" like those are iconic of Britain in the sixties and seventies...my gran lived in one and looking at these brought memories flooding back. Great work!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 1

I'm only just dipping my toes in to the world of scratch building, and only have a couple of 'showable' items, one being the 7mm cement silo shown on the link below.

Modellers ingenuity  never ceases to amaze and inspire me. I spend hours surfing this site constantly being amazed at the quality and realism achieved. If I could turn back time, I would have spent more time concentrating on acedemic studies at school, and become a civil engineer. Anyway, I digress, here are my pics......

Girder bridge hiding entrance to fiddle yard

post-10855-0-07608100-1375175280.jpg

Blue Circle cement silo

post-10855-0-69780000-1375175301.jpg

post-10855-0-18098600-1375175321.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Guest Celticwardog

I'm only just dipping my toes in to the world of scratch building, and only have a couple of 'showable' items, one being the 7mm cement silo shown on the link below.

Modellers ingenuity  never ceases to amaze and inspire me. I spend hours surfing this site constantly being amazed at the quality and realism achieved. If I could turn back time, I would have spent more time concentrating on acedemic studies at school, and become a civil engineer. Anyway, I digress, here are my pics......

Girder bridge hiding entrance to fiddle yard

attachicon.gifBridge1.jpg

Blue Circle cement silo

attachicon.gifsilo1.jpg

attachicon.gifsilo2.jpg

Silo construction is brilliant, possibly a little bright, weathering may tone it down. Might be the camera, but brilliant anyway.

Edited by Celticwardog
  • Like 1

Guest Celticwardog

You may recall I have stated I actually build very little, I work in tandem with someone who does. The following are all me, built and painted. Not bad for 1st attempts. The Woolie windows are all a bit wonky and its all generally a bit of a bodge but not bad. (of course all unfinished lol)

post-19818-0-64935900-1375192034_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-87436900-1375192051_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-99933600-1375192063_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-00651800-1375192082_thumb.jpg

post-19818-0-17967200-1375192095_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

You may recall I have stated I actually build very little, I work in tandem with someone who does. The following are all me, built and painted. Not bad for 1st attempts. The Woolie windows are all a bit wonky and its all generally a bit of a bodge but not bad. (of course all unfinished lol)

That is a lovely bit of work there lad i like it :-)

Silo construction is brilliant, possibly a little bright, weathering may tone it down. Might be the camera, but brilliant anyway.

Hi Celticwardog.

Thanks for your comments. The silo was sprayed with Blue Circle cellulose and nearly burned my eyes out!! I have toned it down, and in the flesh it now looks quite faded.

Edited by bagpipes331
  • Like 1