Corner joints

johna

Looking for some advice please. I am scratch building an engine shed using brick paper and was wondering that is the best way to join each corner so that the bricks match up and you don't see the joining?

Johna

Don't join it on a corner.

Have a look at my GWR engine shed fot Bears End, I have included a sketch that shows using a razor blade to trim corners. Burred over the join becomes invisible, just be sure that you trim along a straight line and align each wall sheet accurately with the bottom edge of each wall. Isn't likely that the corners will be covered by a quoin strip in stone or blue engineers brick? Before about 1910 the corners were usually bull nosed, afterwards square.

In all truth, the man who says 'your 1 mm high bricks don't join accurately at the corners...' is probably suffering from advanced Rivettocounteritis and needs to get a life.

Good luck,

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Funny 1

• 8 years later...
On 23/09/2013 at 01:07, Chubber said:

Have a look at my GWR engine shed fot Bears End, I have included a sketch that shows using a razor blade to trim corners. Burred over the join becomes invisible, just be sure that you trim along a straight line and align each wall sheet accurately with the bottom edge of each wall. Isn't likely that the corners will be covered by a quoin strip in stone or blue engineers brick? Before about 1910 the corners were usually bull nosed, afterwards square.

In all truth, the man who says 'your 1 mm high bricks don't join accurately at the corners...' is probably suffering from advanced Rivettocounteritis and needs to get a life.

Good luck,

Doug

Hey Doug:  can you give me a pointer as to where your shed sketch can be found? I can't find it. Is it on RMWeb?

Not sure where they are, but this might help, they could be on Your Model Railway. I'll try and find more info.sketch00006.jpg.30f1a6325bb3f1e67e59d40e0d2ec8ea.jpg

sketch00001.jpg

sketch00002.jpg

sketch00003.jpg

sketch 008smokehoods.jpg

I've include smoke hoods and the way to make hung swinging doors. I've found that if you cut a Scalescenes sheet accurately along a brick course line then use the bottom edges and a flat surface to align the texture it all seems to come out well. Suggetsions such as 'Don't join at corners' doesn't take into consideration the need to work up multiple layers or to aply details etc with the walls flat down on the bench, for detailing interiors etc.

Best wishes, hope this is useful,

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken an idea that I heard and added a thought of my own.

I didn’t have a join on the corner, instead, the first sheet wraps around the corner and the second sheet overlaps it slightly. Also, instead of cutting, I tore the edge of the overlapping sheet, so as to not have a straight edge and then coloured the edge before gluing in place.

037BB995-EC8E-4EC3-9EF2-3FE4AC76D04A.jpeg

• Like 1