Class 47 photos

SDEG Scotland's Diesel Fleet in Detail - Class 47/4s - Just a quick update in that we have been advised that printing of the class 47/4 book is slightly delayed and that they won't be delivered in time for Perth show. Hopefully, we should have them in the first week of July, ready for posting out.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 158722 said:

SDEG Scotland's Diesel Fleet in Detail - Class 47/4s - Just a quick update in that we have been advised that printing of the class 47/4 book is slightly delayed and that they won't be delivered in time for Perth show. Hopefully, we should have them in the first week of July, ready for posting out.

As has often been said:

Good things come to those who wait(!) ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The SDEG class 47/4 books have been received this week and a start on posting out copies will begin tomorrow! Many thanks for your support and we hope that it lives up to expectations!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 158722 said:

The SDEG class 47/4 books have been received this week and a start on posting out copies will begin tomorrow! Many thanks for your support and we hope that it lives up to expectations!

Thanks for the update 158772, very much looking forward to this book.

Not wishing to sound impertinent, but are there more to come in the series?

What with the 26 book and all, I wondered if the SDEG team had any future plans, as it seems as though these two books are forming part of a larger series?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned and I failed to notice.)

14 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Thanks for the update 158772, very much looking forward to this book.

Not wishing to sound impertinent, but are there more to come in the series?

What with the 26 book and all, I wondered if the SDEG team had any future plans, as it seems as though these two books are forming part of a larger series?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned and I failed to notice.)

Subject to our local postie in Fife being able to collect all of the copies which have been prepared for posting, the majority of the pre-paid orders are being dispatched today.

There are indeed and the plan is for a series...

The third volume will cover the 'ScotRail Express' era of class 47/7s and DBSOs - this has been fully compiled and is at the second stage of proof reading and technical review with the intention for this to be published towards the end of this year or start of next year. It covers a review of Push-Pull operations, the loco fleet, as well as the DBSOs and coaching stock used on the services between 1979 and 1990. I have to say that I am quietly content with how this one has come together and we've gained some excellent new contacts/contributors, both in terms of content and photos. It looks rather nice to me! 

The fourth volume is being compiled now, though this is at a less advanced stage - the subject covered are the classic Scottish steam heat class 37/0s. My aim at present for this one to have this one ready for Perth model show in June 2023 - this gives me a target to work to!

After that, I think the consensus is to cover the class 27s. I have a few ideas as to what might follow, but each volume essentially takes a year to produce, so I'm not wanting to make any more commitments just yet.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, 158722 said:

There are indeed and the plan is for a series...

Excellent!

38 minutes ago, 158722 said:

The third volume will cover the 'ScotRail Express' era of class 47/7s and DBSOs - this has been fully compiled and is at the second stage of proof reading and technical review with the intention for this to be published towards the end of this year or start of next year. It covers a review of Push-Pull operations, the loco fleet, as well as the DBSOs and coaching stock used on the services between 1979 and 1990. I have to say that I am quietly content with how this one has come together and we've gained some excellent new contacts/contributors, both in terms of content and photos. It looks rather nice to me! 

Brilliant, I'd definitely be interested in one.

50 minutes ago, 158722 said:

After that, I think the consensus is to cover the class 27s. I have a few ideas as to what might follow, but each volume essentially takes a year to produce, so I'm not wanting to make any more commitments just yet.

No problem, I completed understand, I'm perfectly content with just knowing one on the 47/7s is coming along!

Many thanks, 158722

On 02/07/2022 at 20:01, montyburns56 said:

D1758 Derby Works 1964 by Grahame Wareham

D1758 Derby Works May 64 Slide 724

Note the unusual combination of dual brakes and three-part fixed radiator grilles at the far end. Only D1631-1665 from Crewe and D1758-1806 from Brush were like this, and only briefly. The story as I understand it (somebody please do correct me if I'm wrong!) is that on standard vac-only locos the coolant in the radiator banks drained into holding tanks on engine shutdown to prevent frost damage - when the retrofitting of train air brake equipment began with these two batches space constraints required the removal of these tanks so the coolant had to remain in the radiators, with the possibly expected consequences in cold weather, hence the fitting of the familiar thermostatically-controlled Serck shutters. This appears to have been completed very quickly, looks like all done by early 1967 and possibly far sooner but there aren't enough 1966-dated photos of these two batches to gauge progress (all photters off chasing the last steam locos I guess!)

Edited by Halvarras
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...