Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

During 2001, class 37s were still used regularly mainly on trip workings but some longer runs as well. The EWS fleet was a right mixed bag of liveries. Here are the 5 37s on Dallam. A few more will be added in the future.

20211217_195439.jpg

20211217_195757.jpg

20211217_200051.jpg

20211217_200304.jpg

20211217_200449.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 18

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas and maybe some nice surprises under the tree?
Just before Christmas, I was looking on Ebay and spotted a complete unbuilt kit for a TPM class 87. Needless to say it was purchased! So a nice project for next year to work at! Livery will be Virgin colours, not decided on number or name.  Need to keep my eyes peeled for another unbuilt kit as 2 of these would be ideal in Virgin livery.

Cheers

Simon

20211227_152356.jpg

20211227_152413.jpg

20211227_152516.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Timmy84 said:

Hi Simon,

Nice work on the pacer. Not easy.

Were those First Northwestern decals from the Precision range or customs?

I can't find them on their website.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Thanks, yes the 142 was a bit of a challenge with working out how to do the masking. 

I just used the contact form on the Precision website, I had used the same for the ex GMPTE 142s that I did. John replies usually in 24 hours.

Cheers

Simon

• Thanks 1

That’s great thanks.

I’ve got a Dapol FNW 153 which bizarrely comes with Northern branding so I need to back date it. You’d think the manufacturer would apply the original branding for the modeller to change if they want to but clearly not!

Tim.

33 minutes ago, Timmy84 said:

That’s great thanks.

I’ve got a Dapol FNW 153 which bizarrely comes with Northern branding so I need to back date it. You’d think the manufacturer would apply the original branding for the modeller to change if they want to but clearly not!

Tim.

Will PM you.

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2021 at 18:24, 87023Velocity said:

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas and maybe some nice surprises under the tree?
Just before Christmas, I was looking on Ebay and spotted a complete unbuilt kit for a TPM class 87. Needless to say it was purchased! So a nice project for next year to work at! Livery will be Virgin colours, not decided on number or name.  Need to keep my eyes peeled for another unbuilt kit as 2 of these would be ideal in Virgin livery.

Cheers

Simon

Wow that's a result! I've got 3 unbuilt TPM class 60 kits stashed away...I'd built a couple a few years ago in BS blue, Loadhaul black & EWS...then when Farish brought out their models, the kits have taken a bit of a back seat. Maybe they'll be handy for a scrap line in a future layout! 

IMG_20211230_181746_edit_2109397845442713.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Trev218 said:

Wow that's a result! I've got 3 unbuilt TPM class 60 kits stashed away...I'd built a couple a few years ago in BS blue, Loadhaul black & EWS...then when Farish brought out their models, the kits have taken a bit of a back seat. Maybe they'll be handy for a scrap line in a future layout! 

IMG_20211230_181746_edit_2109397845442713.jpg

Hi Trev,

They look very nice :sungum: Would be a shame to have them on the scrap line!

Cheers

Simon

A nice simple project this evening, building 20ft MOD containers from the C-Rail kits. Will leave for a day or 2 for the solvent to harden before cleaning up ready for painting. With regards the KFA types used, looking on Flickr shows both bogie types in use for MOD traffic. Just need to make a few VCAs up in MOD blue and yellow.

Cheers

Simon

20220104_190014.jpg

20220104_190040.jpg

20220104_190102.jpg

• Like 18

Happy New Year Simon.

You must be busy /excited about the plethorea of new products available that are suitable for Dallam. It is a bit quiet over at Shirebrook, looking forward to the Revolution Class As and PFAs. Currently just back dating 5 class 56s and I have a Peak to detail/modify and repaint! 

Sometmes I think you have repainted your entire loco fleet- excellent variety now Simon.

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Happy New Year Simon.

You must be busy /excited about the plethorea of new products available that are suitable for Dallam. It is a bit quiet over at Shirebrook, looking forward to the Revolution Class As and PFAs. Currently just back dating 5 class 56s and I have a Peak to detail/modify and repaint! 

Sometmes I think you have repainted your entire loco fleet- excellent variety now Simon.

Cheers

Duncan

Happy New Year Duncan,

Yes got a few items on the way from Revolution. Also got a few NGS kits to finish.

With the resprays, it has certainly felt like I have done all my loco fleet! Got 3 90s which will be getting started over the coming weeks along with quite a bit of stock to weather. 

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Another simple project for a Saturday. This VCA van kit has been built from a TPM kit, which although no longer available from TPM, the N gauge society now produce. The MOD purchased a quantity of ex VCAs during 1999 and overhauled them  for general traffic. They were painted blue sides  yellow ends and recoded PDA. This will be another vehicle for the 6O12 Enterprise working on Dallam. Also a picture from a running session earlier.

20220115_172130.jpg

20220115_172158.jpg

20220115_204810.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2022 at 22:49, 87023Velocity said:

This VCA van kit has been built from a TPM kit, which although no longer available from TPM, the N gauge society now produce.

I assume you've used a Farish OAA/VAA chassis for the VCA?

I've been wondering if the Chivers/Five79 OCA/OTA would be a useful chassis donor for the exTPM VCA, VDA and coaltainer kits. It's easier to get hold of than a Farish OAA/VAA and probably costs less.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

On 15/01/2022 at 23:49, 87023Velocity said:

Another simple project for a Saturday. This VCA van kit has been built from a TPM kit, which although no longer available from TPM, the N gauge society now produce. The MOD purchased a quantity of ex VCAs during 1999 and overhauled them  for general traffic. They were painted blue sides  yellow ends and recoded PDA. This will be another vehicle for the 6O12 Enterprise working on Dallam. Also a picture from a running session earlier.

20220115_172130.jpg

20220115_172158.jpg

20220115_204810.jpg

That long shot of the mainline 60 is brilliant Simon. I really enjoy seeing trains on the Dallam curve (which you've got spot on), but that's a great position to show off a long rake and all the nice detailing around the signals, ohle, bridge and lineside cabinets really stand out in that photo. 

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

I've been wondering if the Chivers/Five79 OCA/OTA would be a useful chassis donor for the exTPM VCA, VDA and coaltainer kits. It's easier to get hold of than a Farish OAA/VAA and probably costs less.

Steven B.

Hi

I use the 2mm SA chassis for mine but that’s only of use if you are a member. Part number is 2-380 and this a link to the instructions

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf2-380.pdf

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B.

Hi Steven, the TPM kit already had the Farish chassis with it. I think the NGS one now comes just as body only so will require a chassis.

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Steven, the TPM kit already had the Farish chassis with it. I think the NGS one now comes just as body only so will require a chassis.

Chassis & roof required as the NGS kit is only the sides & ends, same goes for the VDA kit.

So in other words, you need the Farish VAA/VBA van as a doner if you are going down that route. Chuck the van, keep the chassis & roof.

I believe the tool for the roof became damaged or something like, hence there being no roof in the kit.

• Informative/Useful 2