Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Im currently working on a Dapol mk 3 coach version that will fit the NEMs and feature the pipework and coupled buckeye at the moment. Perfect if you are running a fixed rake. The 87 isnt a NEM fitted loco though so not sure how that would work.

Pretty straightforward to fit easi-shunt couplings to non-NEMs. Just remove the coupling and spring, open out the slot in the coupling box very slightly and the Dapol couplings twist into place. Dab of superglue and jobs a good 'un! So far all of my stuff runs fine with the short arm couplings on 2nd radius curves and setrack points...

Hi,

Managed to get a bit more done on the warehouse tonight. I have added the skylights (I am assuming thats what they are using google earth) which have basically been painted onto the structure. Its took about 2 hours to do so far tonight with all the masking.

Still plenty to do with doors, drain pipes, security lights etc to add. Also the whole structure will need toning down/light weathering.

post-6834-0-83773200-1392327199_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Evening,

Glad you like the tablecloth. It was bought with our young kids in mind but its also very handy for me. I have had a little experiment with the skylights. I have painted them onto the roof but was not quite sure about the finish. Anyhow, I had an idea about laying plain DIY type masking tape over the top of the painted strip to hopefully provide an opaque type effect, see pics below.

post-6834-0-70476700-1392410868_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-25075900-1392410936_thumb.jpg

The masking tape has been cut into 6mm strips then applied to the roof. With this method I am wondering if I should try and paint/highlight the supporting framework which may be visible before fitting the masking tape (if that makes sense!).

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Very nice Simon, that is one serious warehouse!

Hi Alex,

Yes it has had a few near misses due to its size moving it from the garage into the house. Think I am going to do a little bit more on the warehouse then resume with the 75 ton crane and get my 4mm breakdown train completed. I still need to finish 60010, 37714, the 7mm grid.... Too many projects.....

Cheers

Simon

Evening,

Glad you like the tablecloth. It was bought with our young kids in mind but its also very handy for me. I have had a little experiment with the skylights. I have painted them onto the roof but was not quite sure about the finish. Anyhow, I had an idea about laying plain DIY type masking tape over the top of the painted strip to hopefully provide an opaque type effect, see pics below.

attachicon.gif2014-02-14 20.44.35.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-02-14 20.42.57.jpg

The masking tape has been cut into 6mm strips then applied to the roof. With this method I am wondering if I should try and paint/highlight the supporting framework which may be visible before fitting the masking tape (if that makes sense!).

Cheers

Simon

That sounds like a good plan. Will add depth to the skylights too.

Hi Alex,

Yes it has had a few near misses due to its size moving it from the garage into the house. Think I am going to do a little bit more on the warehouse then resume with the 75 ton crane and get my 4mm breakdown train completed. I still need to finish 60010, 37714, the 7mm grid.... Too many projects.....

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, I can imagine!

You certainly have quite a few projects on the go at the same time, all lovely too!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on all of them!

Perhaps time to take some time off work to do some modelling?!!!

Hi,

Latest addition to the Dallam fleet. Picked up a second hand Mainline blue Class 60 and a Steel wagon. I am very impressed with the level of detail on both items. The 60 will probably be a weathering job and maybe a renumber. The BRA steel wagon will be part of a train which is shown in Beasts thread here behind 56067:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77973-2001-a-space-odyssey-or-warrington-area-trains/

Post #1 56067 on the Up Goods Loop on 6E82, 12:42 Gladstone Steel Terminal - Arpley - Lackenby

post-6834-0-77206200-1392811522_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Simon,

Ive been rereading your thread about making your bridges.

Where did you get your foam board from and what diamensions did you use?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

I got the foam board from a local art shop in Northwich, however it can be obtained from Hobbycraft http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-a1-white-foamboard/539724-1000 and also art and stationary shops sell it.

The dimensions for the bridges were estimated by using images from Google Earth, Google Streetview and also Bing Maps Birdseye views. The height of the bridge from the rail head was checked using a Dapol 86 with its pantograph raised as a guide.

Cheers

Simon

great work.  the photos of the front end detailing are such that to people like me it "looks" easy to fit the parts with tweezers, forgetting thats this is N gauge and to do so requires a really steady hand and probably glasses or a magnifier!

any chance of lining the shortened wheelbase 87 against a standard one say laid flat to compare?  i think this would really show up what a difference 1mm has made.

also i was wondering this - would the spare short knuckle couplers found in the Dapol Mk3s fit the farish pocket as this would look much nicer than the large Rapido?

Hi,

Picked up a second Virgin 87 and below is the comparison of the bogie alignment and also a front end view.

I have put some red lines on as a guide. The modified 87 is the bottom one.

post-6834-0-66480400-1392929137_thumb.jpg

The 87 on the left still needs its tdm jumpers and warning flashes.

post-6834-0-24650100-1392929303_thumb.jpg

Not decided on a running number for the second 87 but will probably go for one which still had its original name.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Very strange, the way Farish managed to get the wrong bogie centres on the Cl.87. The really strange thing was that the original batch of Class 90s (which shared & still shares almost all the same mechanics*) were actually correct. I based my old Cl.87 kit on using the original Cl.90 chassis only to have Farish release theirs a few months later - I assumed they would produce a Cl.86, the biggest class of AC electrics with many more livery variants (especially at the time) and a wider geographical spread. Then I found out that the Cl.87 chassis wouldn't fit my 87 kit - the coupling boxes clashed with the bufferbeams. Very odd. It was a while later that I found out that the Cl.87 bogie pivots (the adjustable part) were being assembled the other way round. In those days the Poole version of the chassis had a Tomix style spring/worm drive so it was simply a matter of loosening the chassis blocks, turning the pivot pin round, pulling the bogies inwards on the springs, tighten up and job done. Unfortunately the 'wrong' centres then seem to have been adopted as standard for the revised Farish by Bachmann versions so the simple correction was no longer possible because of the new solid driveshafts. The error also explains why the fairings on the Cl.90 no longer line up correctly.

* cosmetic changes, of course, to bogies and underside detail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

After a few weeks of no activity on the n gauge front, I have managed to carry out some more work on Folly Lane bridge. Some of the stone work has been painted and also the plate girder sections. Still quite a bit to do, there should be some trunking running along the bridge wall, the road deck needs adding and also the whole thing will need weathering.

Current progress of bridge

post-6834-0-55474600-1397734936.jpg

60078 heads south on 6E82, 12:42 Gladstone Steel Terminal - Arpley - Lackenby (Thanks for picture Dave), 86425 waits to head into the Mail depot.

post-6834-0-27341900-1397734977.jpg

86605&628 head north L.E, 86425 still waiting to head back into the Mail depot.

post-6834-0-39272000-1397734996.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Hi,

When I modified the class 87 bogie positions, the plastic carden shafts where spliced using plastic tube which I was not fully happy with. I have therefore made replacements using 1.2mm brass tube and 0.9mm brass wire.

Below shows the original, modified shortened version followed by the brass one.

post-6834-0-82016200-1402345721.jpg

Managed to pick up a Dapol Virgin DVT at Wigan. Here it is being hauled by 87019.

post-6834-0-33506500-1402345868_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Love the VT 87 and DVT!

Thanks Tom, Got the second 87 on the workbench now, this one is going to be 87027 Wolf of Badenoch. The West Coast VT fleet for Dallam will consist of 2x 87's and 1 x 90 for the 2 Mk3 push pull rakes so there will be a maintenance spare for wheel cleaning etc. In the future once the Farish Mk2f's are release an Oxley Mk2 Push pull set may be introduced with a class 86/2.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Whilst researching train formations using photographs which Dave kindly posted here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77973-2001-a-space-odyssey-or-warrington-area-trains/ I decided to look into how represent the class 325's which visit the nearby Warrington Royal Mail terminal. As these run in 8-12 car formations, I am going to need a few sets. So I decided to see if it is possible to cut and shut a Farish Mk3 for the basic bodyshell. Below is the progress so far, body has been reduced in length by approx 20mm, the roller doors need adding, the top part of the roller door frame needs correcting as it should be curved in each corner. Alot still to do, the driving trailers with their cabs will be challenging though I think some 3d printed versions are available.

Looking into bogies, the bogie pivot points have been moved outwards, not sure where to source the power and trailer bogies as the TPM versions appear to be no longer available.

post-6834-0-62635700-1403100638_thumb.jpg

With regards 8-12 car formations, I am currently thinking of having a couple of dummy sets as they will be running in fixed formation and not split in normal layout operation.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

For a 325, you may find these easier than doing multiple cut-n-shuts.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/644170/325.html?li=search-results&materialId=60

A cheaper option would be to stick some Networker cabs onto stipped Mk2 bodies as these are already the correct length.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/327590/n-gauge-165-cab-pair.html?li=user-profile&materialId=61