Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and advice. Regards the Shapeways 325, that will probably be the fall back if this idea with the mk3's does not work. I did think about mk2's but decided to use mk3's due to the roof design. Ben, thanks for the e-mail for TPM.

Last night got a bit more done, fitted the roller doors into place and gave the body a quick blast of Halfords grey primer to highlight any issues, which there are a few!

post-6834-0-86815700-1403180749_thumb.jpg

I think the conversion will work ok, I have a few ideas how to do things differently now.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

After quite a busy summer, work on Dallam has picked up. It had been planned to model between the two road bridges Folly Lane and Bewsey Road, however due to a very good suggestion, it is now going to be extended between Bewsey Road and the railway over bridge for the Warrington Central line.

All new boards have been built, the layout in its extended form will fit in the garage when set up diagonally.

Below are a couple of pictures showing the progress so far. The track laying on the main line is being done in stages, for example, the down slow was aligned, rails painted, ballasted and allowed to dry. Then the down fast was laid in the same fashion, and the up fast will be done the same. The concrete trunking was formed using Evergreen plastic section, scribed to represent the lids, this was glued down then ballasted upto.

post-6834-0-84427800-1412266094_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-59087600-1412266139_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 14

looking good, now where are the steam engines??

Hi Paul, there could well be the odd steam special running. Also part of the old Dallam steam shed which is now used as a business unit will be included just to the left of the DVT.

I am tempted to model some Springs Branch class 20's for MGR workings just for occasional use of course!

Cheers

Simon

Nice to see this one moving along again. Look forward to more progress shots.

Are you any further forward with the 325 parcels set?

Hi, class 325 just put to one side for moment whilst all the track laying is taking place then hopefully continue once the track has all been tested.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Paul, there could well be the odd steam special running. Also part of the old Dallam steam shed which is now used as a business unit will be included just to the left of the DVT.

I am tempted to model some Springs Branch class 20's for MGR workings just for occasional use of course!

Cheers

Simon

I think I have a 4mm class 20 somewhere in the loft, if you need to borrow some proper steam trains to run on your layout you know where I am :)

I must admit it scary when you think, the rail blue and early sector liveries where all over the place as a kid, and know people refer to them as historical, lol I must be getting old

• Like 1

Hi,

Managed to get a bit more done over the weekend. Laid and aligned the bi directional line it just needs droppers and ballasting. The line leading to the warehouse has partly been started. The hardstanding for the sidings has also been started. Plastic strip has been used to form the edge, the rest will be built up with card and filler.

post-6834-0-81438900-1412525351_thumb.jpg

Need to start thinking about OHLE structures soon I think.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Starting to look like a cracking layout Simon.

What are you using for the ballast?

Thanks,

Christian.

Cheers for comments and likes everyone.

Christian, I have used Chinchilla dust for the ballast. I think it costs about £4 for a 3kg bag.

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

Bit more progress tonight, managed to make a start on the hardstanding. This has been done using 1mm thick card glued to the baseboard followed by an approx 1mm skim of filler which will need rubbing down. Also using scrap card to show roughly where Dallam Lane runs, some of this may be blended into the backscene. The track rubber is were the old CLC bridge pier is and which is still there.

post-6834-0-32579400-1412626229_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Hi,

Managed to get some more of the hard standing done around the sidings area. Hopefully all that is required now is to lightly sand the filler and then paint to a suitable finish. Decided to try and take a picture from what is Folly Lane bridge looking south towards Bewsey Road and Warrington Bank Quay, just needs the overhead in place!

post-6834-0-58622700-1412814011_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Hi,

Track work continues this weekend. Positioned the crossovers which allow parcels stock to access the nearby Royal Mail terminal from the down fast. These also allow south bound departures from the RMT to access the up fast.

The picture below is taken roughly were Bewsey Road bridge will be located.

post-6834-0-66677600-1413142245_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Hi,

Managed to get all the track ballasted and the concrete trunking completed following the picture in my last post. Next task is to fit the dowels between boards 5&6, lay the cork and lay the last stretch of track on the scenic side.

Here below, 60078 heads north towards Dallam sidings with the trip working. 87019 heads south leading a failed DVT. Needs the OHLE in position!

post-6834-0-66836700-1413715076_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

Superb work 87023velocity can not wait to see the finished layout, passed this location many many times, Always fancied modelling around the warrington area after spending a lot of my youth around the yards and station area

Keep up the great work!

Mophead

Hi,

Thanks for the nice comments! Managed to fit the pattern makers dowels to boards 5&6 this afternoon, the cork tiles have been laid also. Aswell as the excellent pictures Dave (Beast 66606) has posted, just been looking on Youtube again and found this clip where all services being diverted through Walton yard in June 2001.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TkTPFt6hI

Bit of blue aswell for the trip workings to Dallam yard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/4888211332/in/photolist-8rXmVJ-9hnv8R-8c5mTB-9Bvrgc-9BvrrK-d2JJUw-cYqVJL-8c5mTH-izoQCi-7WM6Tk-bCGWTQ-8bk2rB-aAynhW-azVANf-pbAgWV-9xqfTB-kMq3ee-o5AafS-d22MJ9-mtQwnk-8rXnc9-9BvsTR-84RrBg-8rUhcz-jJkYJF-9asG3Y-8rUhrF-8rXn7m-9BynwN-aRw5c4-cKnbP5-e2B5Sp-9QXJY3-n6JCUx-9kcpzJ-n2Do72-eJmrSa-dacEYQ-9uj3ys-9BykUo-9wA6JP-oDR41K-9y4g1X-d76T23-cqeoqd-erEAXd-9mMkoR-9mMhoc-9nzGrm-9n7h5h-gAnAzw

Cheers

Simon