Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

87023Velocity

2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Following on from the barrier vehicles, I decided I should attempt to finish the 2 DRS class 20s. Although I had them sprayed and varnished for Dallams first exhibition at Wigan in 2016, the glazing and pipework had not been added, nor had any weathering been undertaken.

So the characteristic cab side windows and windscreens have now been fitted along with air pipes and a dummy screw coupling. I was thinking I may sell these on and buy a later model but have decided to stick with these.

20201023_170623.jpg

20201023_170643.jpg

20201023_170845.jpg

Nothing wrong with those mate. They look great!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Decided to form a second DRS nuclear flask train. I was initially going to have another pair of 20s, however I thought it would be nice to have a class 20/37 combination instead.

I had already started a 3rd class 20 quite awhile ago but progress stopped as I concentrated on other stock for the layout. I had the 37 to hand, it was going into EWS livery but instead will become 37610 in DRS blue. Here is a picture of it at Poole with 20311.

20311+37610 Poole 1999

On the layout, the mods to the 37 appear to be nose end, jumpers, cables and sockets.

Cheers

Simon

20201024_122936.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

The modifications to the class 20 and class 37 are now complete. Transfers have been ordered from Rainbow Resprays for 37610 and 20305. Will hopefully get them sprayed this week. I was contemplating having the class 20 as a dummy but following testing, see below, it ran fine with 37 considering its age. 

Cheers

Simon

20201024_171529.jpg

20201025_144144.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
Typo
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

They look really good Simon. Intrigued with what you've done for the WIPAC lights on the third 20 - is that just foam board presumably with holes to be drilled/created to represent the lights?

Not heard of Rainbow Railways before?

Rich

9 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

They look really good Simon. Intrigued with what you've done for the WIPAC lights on the third 20 - is that just foam board presumably with holes to be drilled/created to represent the lights?

Not heard of Rainbow Railways before?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks, the Wipacs are small pieces of plasticard cut to size. The completed 20/3s used a WIPAC etch from a PH Design class 90 detailing kit. With this one I am just going to paint the lenses on.

Corrected my post, its Rainbow Resprays! 

Cheers

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

The modifications to the class 20 and class 37 are now complete. Transfers have been ordered from Rainbow Resprays for 37610 and 20305. Will hopefully get them sprayed this week. I was contemplating having the class 20 as a dummy but following testing, see below, it ran fine with 37 considering its age. 

Cheers

Simon

20201024_171529.jpg

20201025_144144.jpg

Can i just ask? your 37 ran on DCC with the Class 20 .. 

So different locos can be run in consists? so i could drag a 90 by a 66 or 67 dragging a 60 ?

I am building a modern image Electric depot but my local model shop guy was saying same loco consists are tricky, i'd ruled out shunting moves with different locos, i'd even let go of my 08 for the same reason. 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

10 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

So different locos can be run in consists? so i could drag a 90 by a 66 or 67 dragging a 60 ?

I am building a modern image Electric depot but my local model shop guy was saying same loco consists are tricky, i'd ruled out shunting moves with different locos, i'd even let go of my 08 for the same reason. 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Hi,

No, Dallam works using standard DC so when running consists, its a case of motor speeds and gearing.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, DBC90024 said:

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Consists on DCC are simple and easy.  Different locos can have speed issues - i.e. one can be slightly quicker or slower than others, but it is simple.  My Digitrax system has the ability to control two locos at once - in essence its two controllers on one handheld. I call up the lead loco on the left controller (lets say 66200), call up the loco I want to add or remove from a consist on the right controller (e.g. 90018) and click the '+' or '-' button. and bingo, both are consisted or detached as appropriate.  Now I can enter the decoder ID for either 66200 or 90018 into any Digitrax controller on the layout (doesn't have to be the same one you consisted on) and both locos are now reacting to the same commands, be it speed, lights, sound etc..

Further more I could now add 67020 by doing the same time.  Enter the ID for 66200 on the left, and that for 67020 on the right, click '+' and now all three follow the same commands.  Lets say I drop 66200 from the consist.  The other two remain consisted, so entering the decoder IDs for  either 90018 or 67020 in the controller means I am controlling both locos.  Select either ID to remove ... and the consist is disbanded.  The only hassle is that if you consist more than two locos (as I do for my American Locos sometime) you have to manually remove each from the consist, there is no way to have say five locos consisted and then abandon the consist with one button press - you have to manually remove four of them from the consist, but its a minor issue.

There are CV values you can tweak to solve speed problems - I have one loco in the fleet that I designate as a master, then play with the CV values until new additions can run in a DCC consist at the same spacing.  Basically I put them both on a circuit of track, not coupled about 30cms/1 foot apart and run them round. If they can complete 15 loops without the spacing between them increasing or decreasing, I am happy and they go into the fleet. If not I keep playing with the CV values until I am. I find it gives me good running qualities that way.

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Cheers

Simon

20201024_171529.jpg

20201025_144144.jpg

Very nice Simon. That railfreight 37 in the background looks like it needs finishing and put into service on some good old 80's/early 90's speedlink service! :wink_mini:

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Very nice Simon. That railfreight 37 in the background looks like it needs finishing and put into service on some good old 80's/early 90's speedlink service! :wink_mini:

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, yes must get that finished. Also got an 87 stripped down ready to be finished in early Intercity Executive.

Cheers

Simon

49 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

That will look good Simon. Have you got an Intercity liveried MK3 rake to go with?

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

It will be a mix of Intercity and blue/grey mk3s with a Mk1 BG.

Cheers

Simon

1 hour ago, 87023Velocity said:

Hi Jeremy,

It will be a mix of Intercity and blue/grey mk3s with a Mk1 BG.

Cheers

Simon

Looking forward to seeing that Simon, but watch out. It's a slippery (but brilliant) slope. You'll be doing shows with a full roster of BR stock before you know it :P

All the best,

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Bit more progress on the DRS 20 and 37. Main colours now applied, I have noticed the yellow panels have been missed on the class 20 fuel tanks, easy to add though. A few little bits of touching up to do the a coat of Klear can be added prior to transfers.

Cheers

Simon

20201027_154551.jpg

20201027_172356.jpg

20201027_172310.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The DRS 20 and 37 pairing are nearly ready for transfers. The bufferbeam detailing has been added at one end of the 37, along with BH Enterprises Freight buffers. The RCH cables on the nose end will probably be added last once ready for varnish. Also lowered the body of the 37 to reduce the bogie body gap.

20201029_143727.jpg

20201029_132732.jpg

20201029_132601.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice work Simon, just been catching up with the thread. It’s been nice to see some videos on Facebook of the layout as well!

The DRS 37 looks great, I love the effect you’ve got by reducing the gap between the body and the chassis - very effective! Something I’m going to do on my 4mm ones I think.

Keep up the good work!

Will

• Like 1

They look superb. May I ask as to the paint used for the DRS blue? I’m trying to psyche myself up to de-brand 37611 to become 422, and given that it’s a Lima model I’m very aware that I’ll probably remove the paint. If I can get a finish anywhere near yours I’ll be a very happy chappy!

13 minutes ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

They look superb. May I ask as to the paint used for the DRS blue? I’m trying to psyche myself up to de-brand 37611 to become 422, and given that it’s a Lima model I’m very aware that I’ll probably remove the paint. If I can get a finish anywhere near yours I’ll be a very happy chappy!

Hi, 

Yes its Railmatch paint, code RM258 DRS Blue, I seem to remember Railmatch paint and Lima paint appeared to be a pretty close colour match. 

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Gutted that Wigan show had to be cancelled (along with every other event), as I was looking forward to seeing Dallam for the first time and Shirebrook again.

I was re-reading "The Changing Face of Railfreight" bookazine, and noticed a photo of Dallam in 2003 where Arcton gas is being transhipped from an ISO 20ft tanktainer into 2 continental VTG bogie tanks parked in the sidings - might make a another nice freight working  to be modelled?  (though a couple of years after your original time frame)?