Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Evening everyone,

Tracklaying started across boards 5&6 today. The minimum radius of the inner curve (bi directional slow line) at this end of the layout will be 11 inches which should be ok.

post-6834-0-50568500-1414267382_thumb.jpg

My goal is to have the remaining 4 track sections laid and ballasted on boards 5&6 by next weekend! Hopefully will be able to make a start on the wiring then.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Managed to get the remaining stretch of track laid and ballasted on the mainline. The pva will probably not be fully dry till tomorrow. The scenic break will be formed by the Liverpool to Manchester line crossing where the ruler is on the pic (balanced on the 2 tubs of paint). The siding on the left was not used much if at all in 2001 and this will be modelled in an overgrown condition as in the link below.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/37190-dalzell/15464415881/in/search_QM_q_IS_37375+dallam_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

post-6834-0-44862200-1414959839_thumb.jpg

Next to start on the wiring and make a control panel!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Hi,

Latest addition to the Dallam fleet arrived this morning direct from Dapol. Could not resist some quick pics.

Here it is, 86261 hauling mk3's ecs Polmadie to Wembley.

post-6834-0-66230700-1415449293_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-40231000-1415449323_thumb.jpg

The plastic h section has been used to gauge the size of the ohle. The ohle will eventually be made out of brass section.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Ah yes, I saw the email with the bargain basement 86's at £50. Layouts coming along well and I really like your ballasting, looks great! Keep the updates coming

Hi Jeremey,

Yes could not ignore the 86 at £50 as it is ideal for Dallam, may order another! Thanks about the ballasting, its Chinchilla dust which is quite cheap however it can crack in areas whilst drying but it is easy enough to sort. It just all needs some weathering but will probably leave that job for now. Just starting the wiring now which should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks

Simon

Hi,

Managed to make a start on the wiring. Below is board 2 which is fairly straight forward to wire as it is just 4 tracks along the front. There will be more wiring added once the fiddleyard has been laid at the rear of the layout. Also a signal gantry will be on this board for the down slow and fast lines.

post-6834-0-05381300-1416138290_thumb.jpg

Aiming to have the majority of the layout wired over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

Hi,

Thanks Christian, looking forward to installing the OHLE but think that may take a bit of work to complete.

Managed to wire 3 boards and now working on board 4. The first train ran tonight along the down slow across boards 1 to 3 with no electrical problems. 86261 with 2 mk3's and a DVT pictured below.

post-6834-0-84644400-1416257443_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Hi,

I managed to set all 6 boards up for the first time to get a feel for how the whole layout will look. The scenic section is 15ft between Folly Lane bridge and the Cheshire Lines bridge. Whilst the layout was up, a small amount of stock was placed on. Took a few photographs, apologies for pics, used mobile.

60078 heads south with an MGR rake on the Bi-Directional slow line whilst 2 Freightliner 86's head north L.E on the down fast line. Wagons in the siding awaiting the trip loco to arrive.

post-6834-0-59855900-1416571638_thumb.jpg

The Dapol box in the picture below is were the bridge which carries the Cheshire Lines over the WCML will be located on the layout.

post-6834-0-10663900-1416571682_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way from Folly Lane bridge.

post-6834-0-48054300-1416571728_thumb.jpg

The wiring is progressing well, the 4th board is almost complete and some wiring has been started on the 5th board.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon

I'm really impressed with what you are doing - it looks great.  Having lived in Warrington for a few years when I was younger I've often thought it would make a great place to model and I think the chunk you have picked is really smart (I'd still love to model Bank Quay if I had the time and space!).

You know you would love to stretch the time span a few months later to run one of these: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/840142652/pendolino-uk-n-gauge;)

Cheers, Mike

Hi Simon, you are making good progress now. The latest set of photos really give you an idea of the scale of your layout, very nice.
I do like 078 on HAAs. Have you thought of going back from 2001 to 1992? Pairs of battered 20s, Coal sector Grids and 60s would look fantastic passing along your layout!

Hi,

Thanks for kind comments.

Mike,

Yes the thought of a 390 has crossed my mind, may see about squeezing timeframe to allow 390001 or 390002 (or Pre series1 & Pre series2 (PS1 & PS2)as they were referred to at the time).

Alex,

Don't worry, the thought of class 20's appearing on Dallam has crossed my mind. Don't be suprised if you see a weathered battered pair of 20's (1 blue, 1 railfreight) straight from Springs Branch appear on an MGR working.

Coal sector 56134 and 60060 at Warrington in 2001, link to photos posted thanks to Dave (Beast 66606)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77973-2001-a-space-odyssey-or-warrington-area-trains/

These 2 will certainly be on the roster for Dallam.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Looking good Simon. The sense of space available in N is unparalleled!

Hi Cav,

Thanks, yes that is one benefit of N gauge. A train of approx 36 HAA hoppers and a class 60 in n gauge is approx 8ft in length, the 60 and HAA's in the picture is around 3ft and it looks lost. The trip working from Warrington Arpley to Dallam yard and return using a class 08 will certainly be a long move on the layout if operated at a scale speed.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Hi,

Wiring has come to a grinding halt as run out of tag boards, thought I had more in my drawer than I actually had. Anyway whilst waiting for more got thinking about the OHLE. Need to order some 2mm brass H section from Eileens and also some insulators from Sommerfeldt. Also if I get chance this week, will purchase some hardboard to form the backscenes.

Had a silly 5 minutes tonight with all talk of class 20's and I don't have any n gauge versions here is 20023 leading on the Ashton-in-Makerfield (Lowton Metals) to Warrington Arpley trip working. Bit of a gauging issue!

post-6834-0-39359300-1416865027_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Wiring has come to a grinding halt as run out of tag boards, thought I had more in my drawer than I actually had. Anyway whilst waiting for more got thinking about the OHLE. Need to order some 2mm brass H section from Eileens and also some insulators from Sommerfeldt. Also if I get chance this week, will purchase some hardboard to form the backscenes.

Had a silly 5 minutes tonight with all talk of class 20's and I don't have any n gauge versions here is 20023 leading on the Ashton-in-Makerfield (Lowton Metals) to Warrington Arpley trip working. Bit of a gauging issue!

attachicon.gif2014-11-24 21.24.04.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Do they fit under the bridge!!!!!

Hi,

The class 20's and POA's have been put back away ready for when I start my 4mm project. Not only would they not fit under the bridges, they would wipe out the overhead.

All the brass section, wire and insulators have been ordered so in the near future I will have ago at knocking together a trial Mk3 headspan.  

I also require a number of signals for Dallam which I think will require scratchbuilding unless something is available in kit form?. I think at the time the signal type and numbers were:

WN174 (Bi-Di Slow) & WN175 (Up Fast)- 4 Aspect Signal with Number 1 Route Indicator and Position light - Both mounted on a gantry.

WN R175 - Banner repeater for signal WN175

WN176 (Bi-Di Slow) - 4 Aspect Signal

WN173 (Bi-Di Slow) - 4 Aspect Signal with position light

WN181 (Down Slow) - 4 Aspect Signal - Mounted on gantry with WN182

WN182 (Down Fast) - 4 Aspect Signal with Number 4 Route Indicator - Mounted on gantry with WN181

Here is a picture taken from Bewsey Road overbridge which shows the gantry containing WN181 & 182 and also WN176 on the left. You can just make out signals WN174 & 175 in the distance through the gantry showing red.

post-6834-0-23052300-1416925823_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity