Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

• RMweb Premium

I bought some EZ-Line at Warley, it's incredibly stretchy! Will be using it for OHL when I've built the layout! I can't see it'll work that well if the pan's in contact with the wire, there's virtually no 'resistance'. Perhaps if one weakens the springs significantly, I'll certainly try, seems wrong otherwise!

Great layout this - keep the updates coming!

You would also have a bit of a job on getting the curve of the upper catenary wire. Personally Im all about running the pan on the wire so Id make it fully functional amd tensioned but Im a bit anal about OHLE like that. I enjoy designing it all tbh which is probably a bit odd. Not sure Simon wants to go to that trouble.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions for using EZ line. I am going to look at the OHLE again over the next few weeks. I have managed however over the weekend to make the backscenes for boards 1&2. The backscene for board 1 has been curved for the corner. The hardboard was scribed on the rear to allow the bending of the hardboard.

post-6834-0-25106600-1417986968_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-52994700-1417987005_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 12

Hi,

Bit of trial and error tonight. The backscene at the Folly Lane bridge end has been at the back of my mind with how it should be fitted. Rather than have the backscene at 90° to the baseboard edge like at the other, I have decided to probably fit it at the same angle as the bridge. The hardboard in the picture is an offcut to try the idea.

post-6834-0-13522800-1418073427_thumb.jpg

Hopefully pick some more hardboard up tomorrow and get the last backscene completed.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Mmm, I've thought about the catenary wire, and agree it could be difficult! Will have a go though!

Have you seen this layout on another Forum? The catenary is fishing line for the contact wire, tensioned with springs, whilst the catenary wire and auxilliary wire are made from the stuff that knitting shops sell to keep cuffs a bit tight. The droppers are made from single strands of multi-strand electrical wire with small hooks on them top and bottom. They're are absent between contact and the auxilliary wires but I don't think it's particularly noticable. The pans run on the fishing line and lower as the wire lowers under the bridge. I helped detail the layout, but can claim no credit for the construction of the overhead. OHL features on pages 5-6 of the thread with an additional description on page 10.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg268010#msg268010

Edited by neal cooper

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

Here is some classic footage from Springs Branch around 1987/88. Includes a class 45 on shed which I don't think at the time were very common at Wigan but I could be wrong!

Those clips are great. Regards the 75 ton crane, I will need to make a smaller version for Dallam but that is way down on the list.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, nice to see that you are still making progress.

I have just been watching some of the clips from 1987/88 that you mentioned. Part 6 has some serious class 20 action and Part 7 includes 45104 on shed. Quality!

Hi Simon, nice to see that you are still making progress.

I have just been watching some of the clips from 1987/88 that you mentioned. Part 6 has some serious class 20 action and Part 7 includes 45104 on shed. Quality!

Hi Alex,

Yes there is some quality stuff there. I remember seeing 45104 around this time in one of the bay platforms at Man Vic. No more work on Dallam till the new year now. Did manage some modelling last night though. My wife asked if I could make a snowman for the Xmas cake. Here is the finished result.

post-6834-0-35729500-1419435794_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon,

Hope all is well. Any updates on your layout?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

After quite a busy run up to Christmas and suddenly deciding to decorate the kitchen (taking longer than expected, kids work etc) at the start of January. Managed to put board 4 on its side this morning to progress the wiring when time permits during the weekend!

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Well after approximately 3 months with no progress, I have finally managed to resume working on Dallam. So far managed to complete the wiring on board 4, so 1-4 now complete and started on board 5 tonight see below.

post-6834-0-86237900-1425937456_thumb.jpg

Think I need to start making a control panel soon so it can all be tested properly.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Yeah. Dallam Sidings is back!

Thanks Christian. Its been good to start work again on Dallam.

Whilst in Quality Save aka Home and Bargain, I found some plastic storage boxes which looked like potential stock box material. I bought one for trial purposes but think I will be picking a few more up.

They cost £2.49 and have removal dividers which allow the storage compartments to be expanded. Below shows the basic idea I have.

post-6834-0-51140700-1426109381_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-52115500-1426109453_thumb.jpg

I will be fitting some protective material into the compartments to keep the stock in position and secure.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

I was recently looking at alternatives to constantly re-boxing the stock for my layout when not in use or at exhibition, and the boxes above look very interesting, but you know the moment I decide to buy some they will be instantly become in short supply and as rare as rocking horse ^&*$%

Hi Paul,

Yes now kicking myself that I did not pick more up, will try and call in tomorrow after work. Following a few trials, I think its possible to store 22 Farish HAA coal hoppers in one case. If I modelled a rake at say 36 hoppers, I could store the complete train in 2 of those cases including the loco, thats the theory anyhow!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Hi,

In between wiring the baseboards I have made a start on the control panel as this will be required soon for testing.Its been made from 6mm MDF with softwood bracing. Hopefully pick some piano hinge up tomorrow for the lid.

post-6834-0-42231900-1427233530_thumb.jpg

Once woodwork is complete, it will be finished in gloss white.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Hi,

Managed to pick up a suitable hinge today so I could trial fit the lid. Unfortunately ran out of suitable strip wood for the lid frame.

Here are a couple of pics with the lid fitted. The power for the control panel will come from a power box at floor level.

post-6834-0-31419300-1427317705_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-89060400-1427317747_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Hi,

Managed to pick some more stripwood up to finish the lid to the control panel and also paint it. Its had 2 coats of undercoat, sanded after each coat, followed by 2 coats of gloss white.

post-6834-0-67791900-1427748772_thumb.jpg

Now just need to look at painting on the track diagram, drilling for switches and wiring.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Managed to complete the wiring on board 5 tonight, so thought it is a good idea to test it. Boards 3,4 &5 connected together and succesful testing undertaken with 60078 sandwiched between some wagons. All four lines checked ok. The sidings will be tested once board 6 is wired.

post-6834-0-83045200-1427921525_thumb.jpg

60078 heads north on a trip working whilst a VT push pull heads south.

post-6834-0-25569700-1427921656_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Hi,

After a few hours work, board 6 is wired on the scenic side. Tested the continuity between boards 5&6 only and all appears to be ok. The sidings also tested as seen below with the 60 and a couple of VGA's.

Hopefully if time permits this week in the evening I will set up all six boards in the house and run a train across all six for the first time.

post-6834-0-72160600-1428321430_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 11

Managed another hour or so tonight on the layout. Started to install the point motors to board 3. These points are the crossovers which allow trains to access the RMT from the down fast and also allow them to depart south from the Up slow to the Up fast.

Using Seep motors with switch for changing frog polarity. These have been mounted onto wooden blocks, by doing this you have more flex in the drive rod which seems to work better than just fitting them straight to the baseboard. I have also modified the Peco points by drilling a hole in the centre of the tiebar and removing both ends of the tiebar to hopefully make them look neater, see below.

post-6834-0-35990400-1428442075_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-35720000-1428442121_thumb.jpg

Once each point motor had been installed, they were tested using a CDU to ensure they were throwing correctly.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6