Size of Warship nameplates (00)

westerner

On Sunday I bought some etched name plates from Shawplan for my Hydraulics. The Western ones were great just slightly larger than the Heljan printed ones. However the plates for Grenville (the only warship plate he had that I needed, I have to wait for Eclipse and Foxhound), are quite small compared to the Bachmann printed ones. Is that because the Bachmann ones are too big or the Shawplan ones too small. To be fair the Grenville etched plates would appear to be the correct size for my other 2 Warships, Eclipse and Foxhound. Did Bachmann get it wrong when they printed Grenville.

As an aside is it still easy to get Bachmann transfers off. I remember several years ago weathering a steam loco and over doing the thinners I manages to get rid of the cab side numbers. It would be good if it still so easy.

• RMweb Gold

I would think its the Bachmann transfer that's oversize just like their cabside numbers on the side of the Western tanks.The etched plates make a hell of a difference though.I use white spirit on a cotton bud.I quite like the Warship model myself.Are they good runners.

Excellent runners. For a time a Bachmann Warship held the record on my friends layout, 24 Bachmann Mk1s plus a few bogie parcels jobbies. The only reason we stopped adding things that on the 4ft radius curve the train started to fall inwards. Even then it still wanted to go.

• RMweb Gold

Decided Shawplan are correct (after looking at lots of photos) in the end to use thinners to soften the Bachmann printing/transfers and small glass fibre brush seems to have worked well.

The roof grille demo Warship bodies on the stand had their numbers and nameplates removed with my thumb nail, are the newer ones a different print method?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I use IPA on a cotton-wool bud to remove printed-on detail as required.   I also believe the Shawplan plates are the correct size while the printed ones may be a compromise somewhere in the production process.  Raised nameplates (and numbers / number plates where appropriate) make all the difference.  I was delighted to find "Thor" nameplates include with a recent class 47 purchase for example despite perfectly good prointed ones.  And the etches were marginally smaller than the prints as well.

Archived