GWR station name boards

Hi

trying to rack my brain to the colours used on the GWR Station name boards, the large ones at the platform ends.

I know they lasted well in to BR days as I remember seeing them when I lived at Swindon a long time ago.

The days when on a Saturday morning you were allowed around the works, getting up close to mainline locos

No daft health and Safety back then :)

I can remember the surround was chocolate, the background cream, but I cant remember if the lettering was chocolate or black, or has my memory failed totally ???

If Black , clear Dymo tape , anyone tried it , or does it look terrible ?

TIA

RIchard

OK Guys the grey matter has failed, Did they swap it around post nationalisation ?, the earliest I would have seen them was 1960. which is 12 year Post nat

The board at Kemble lasted a while and I think that was white lettering.  The paint work at Swindon stayed brown for a long time, there may have been a lot left over from the coach works, or may be not wanting to completely changeover to the dictates of BR. The upkeep on the branch lines was very poor then so not a lot of changes.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth

Richard

• RMweb Gold

OK Guys the grey matter has failed, Did they swap it around post nationalisation ?, the earliest I would have seen them was 1960. which is 12 year Post nat

The board at Kemble lasted a while and I think that was white lettering.  The paint work at Swindon stayed brown for a long time, there may have been a lot left over from the coach works, or may be not wanting to completely changeover to the dictates of BR. The upkeep on the branch lines was very poor then so not a lot of changes.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth

There were a whole string of colour changes over the years for running-in boards (the big station name boards).  The BR colour was cream letters and framing on a chocolate brown background but this weathered down fairly quickly when applied to the older style of board with separate letter (e.g as seen in the Lapworth picture) and these boards were gradually replaced by the cream lettering on chocolate brown ground stove enamelled boards.  But some of the older style boards remained in used long enough to be repainted by BR with white lettering on a black background and just to confound things some of the enamel running-in boards in stove enamelling WR 'chocolate & cream' were over-painted in white lettering on black.  There were also some later instances of a dark lettering (I think a dark grey?) on a pale grey ground.

Going back to GWR days it seems reasonably certain that running-in boards were white lettering on a black ground although some pictures I have seen suggest there might at one time have been boards which were stove enamelled white lettering on a blue ground (example Wanstrow although the background colour is not obvious) although some were most likely inherited from companies joining at the Grouping (e.g Senghenydd ex RR).

In addition to the more usual style of separate letters fixed to a backboard there were a few examples around of cast running-in boards to the same style but seeming;y a one piece casting - again painted white on a black ground.

Thanks for the clarification.

White on black it is,  lucky that Dymo D1 label cartridges are available in white on black .

I'm guessing the matt varnishes suitable to covering transfers, decals, are suitable for spraying or brushing ,

as the backing on the Dymo labels is gloss black.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

White on black it is,  lucky that Dymo D1 label cartridges are available in white on black .

I'm guessing the matt varnishes suitable to covering transfers, decals, are suitable for spraying or brushing ,

Richard

Dymo will look absolutely awful - there are far better looking alternatives around but they will involve some work, including positioning the letters.

Richard

That stuff is fine for labelling your spice rack or tupperware collection - but if you want it to look good and fancy a bit of modelling you should be considering something like this : http://www.scalelink.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2escalelink%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fGeneral___Scale_1_76__OO__Varieuse%2ehtml&WD=letters&PN=Smiths_Components_for__OO__%2ehtml%23aWTSS05#aWTSS05

Items WTSA10 and WTSA 11. There is a kit specifically for a Penzance nameboard (WTSS05), which is possibly of limited use in itself, but the illustration shows what a completed nameboard will look like.

Edited for clarity.

• RMweb Gold

In BR(W) days, nameboards on some (usually principal) stations were replaced by stove-enamel versions, BR-font cream lettering on brown ground.

Much as I love the characteristics of a typical ex GWR station (buildings, water columns, lamp posts, etc.), I always preferred to see the GWR nameboards replaced with BR's enamel versions. I thought they looked very stylish and as a bonus, they were available in a range of nice colours for other regions! However, they were vitreous enamel (like an old bath tub), not stove enamel.

Regards

Dan

That stuff is fine for labelling your spice rack or tupperware collection - but if you want it to look good and fancy a bit of modelling you should be considering something like this : http://www.scalelink.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2escalelink%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fGeneral___Scale_1_76__OO__Varieuse%2ehtml&WD=letters&PN=Smiths_Components_for__OO__%2ehtml%23aWTSS05#aWTSS05

Items WTSA10 and WTSA 11. There is kit specifically for a Penzance nameboard (WTSS05), which is possibly of limited use in itself, but the illustration shows what a completed nameboard will look like.

I've taken your advice an ordered the above, the Dymo I was referring to is not the embossed , but the printed on film type, I use it for labeling front panel of equipment .

cheers

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I hope nobody minds me asking a supplementary question here regarding nameboards with a blue background. I have one of the cast iron nameboards from Wheatley, and at some stage, I think between the black and brown, phases, it had a blue background. Would this have been a short lived official colour scheme, or a local whim?

Thanks

Dave

Archived