Prototype for everything corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

Nice pic of the Allied Steel & Wire Yorkshire Engine co shunters being moved through Cardiff Central. Have you any further info on this move? I understand that Powell Duffryn had used the old loco shed at Radyr yard for servicing industrial locos, so maybe they were en route there?

Cheers, 

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Nice pic of the Allied Steel & Wire Yorkshire Engine co shunters being moved through Cardiff Central. Have you any further info on this move? I understand that Powell Duffryn had used the old loco shed at Radyr yard for servicing industrial locos, so maybe they were en route there?

Cheers,

Could they have been being moved to Canton, either for general maintenance, or for wheel-turning? I know Canton, even before privatisation, used to carry out work on industrial locos.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add a couple of pictures in that I posted recently on another forum. The first I know would be a sight seen throughout the country at various times of a broken down Class 101 being towed by a Class 26. The second is of an unusal DMU formation (similar to the original picture that started this post). A single Class 101 coupled to a combination two cat Class 101 and Cravens and bringing up the rear a three car 101.

post-24472-0-49033900-1451348250_thumb.jpg

post-24472-0-36197800-1451348276_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Do you have a few spare brake tenders lying around?

I suspect those brake tenders may be on their last journey and are off for an appointment with Mr Woodham.

As were these.

post-508-0-48075900-1451442796.jpg

P

post-508-0-66478600-1451442861.png

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9

Have you ever worried about running very short freight trains behind your class 66, but were told that it was not prototypical?

Worry no more.  Here is 66087 approaching Didcot in May 1999.

post-4474-0-93893400-1452184980_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I've got a photo somewhere of an I/C HST power car, on its own pulling a BG through reading, plus to trump your 66 and a flat, I've got a pic of a 58 going through Didcot with 1, 4 wheel tanker behind it

Love these small trains but it's a long one that sticks in the memory.

In the 80's when a group of us in the Banbury MRC were at King Sutton station taking pics and measurements, the evening cargo wagon train (south bound) came through with a dead 47 on the front and double figure wagons behind, being pushed by an NSE 47 and 8 NSE coaches behind that.

Heck of a train!

• Like 5

I was at Oxenholme station once in the late 80's or early 90's when an 85/1 came in on a passenger train. It promptly failed in the station, the next passenger train behind it then came up behind it and pushed that train into the loop at the south end of the station, and then reversed back out onto the running line and continued with its journey. A 2nd 85/1 that had been held on a freight train in Grayrigg loop was detached from its train and then brought down to Oxenholme loop and attached to the front of the train. This train was then reversed back into the station whereby myself and my friend got on for a ride down to Lancaster.

• Like 4

Those were the days.

Class 85s seemed to fail quite often late in their careers, and not always in the most convenient places.

85005 failed on the southbound climb to Shap summit with an ECS train on Aug 4th 1988.

47228 was summoned from somewhere and ended up pushing the train with dead 85 up the hill.

post-4474-0-01881600-1452245021_thumb.jpg

• Like 7