Prototype for everything corner.

26 minutes ago, Steven B said:

NSE liveried class 50 with a matching rake of Mk1s weren't uncommon, unless of course you lived in Manchester:

50002 Superb ran a Oxford to Manchester Piccadilly relief in July 1987 after the booked Poole to Manchester train was cancelled south of Oxford. '002 and matching train was commandeered from a Paddington to Oxford service.

As an aside, there was a period in early 1988 where 50s ran to Manchester on a Paddington-Picc' service with Mk2 Intercity Mk2 stock, taking a break at Stafford on the return.

Steven B.

I was on that train, I think the young lad in the loud shell jacket is the mate I was traveling with and you can just see my arm behind the loco.

Thanks for bringing back a memory of flailing and underage drinking. 

And making me feel old!

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steven B said:

NSE liveried class 50 with a matching rake of Mk1s weren't uncommon, unless of course you lived in Manchester:

9739204733_1e30b96c99_w.jpg

50002 by AJF 1, on Flickr

50002 Superb ran a Oxford to Manchester Piccadilly relief in July 1987 after the booked Poole to Manchester train was cancelled south of Oxford. '002 and matching train was commandeered from a Paddington to Oxford service.

As an aside, there was a period in early 1988 where 50s ran to Manchester on a Paddington-Picc' service with Mk2 Intercity Mk2 stock, taking a break at Stafford on the return.

Steven B.

Back in the day when 50's were first allocated to the LMR, would they have been visitors to Manchester?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Back in the day when 50's were first allocated to the LMR, would they have been visitors to Manchester?

Victoria? What was used on Manchester / Liverpool - Glasgow / Edinburgh trains before 1974?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Yes, they could be seen both at Victoria as @Compound2632 notes and on occasion at Piccadilly (engineering work,  footexs, specials etc).

The link takes you to views at Victoria and Longsight.

Simon

• Thanks 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2022 at 19:16, stewartingram said:

What about London Foulness?

I always thought that that was one of Mayor Boris' better ideas. It would have been less polluting, than expanding Heathrow &/or Gatwick, and an easy connection to Crossrail and more sense than his expensive and poorly designed buses and the, thankfully aborted, garden bridge scheme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I always thought that that was one of Mayor Boris' better ideas. It would have been less polluting, than expanding Heathrow &/or Gatwick, and an easy connection to Crossrail and more sense than his expensive and poorly designed buses and the, thankfully aborted, garden bridge scheme.

Every idiot is like an iceberg once in a while the genius part appears above the surface!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

Pre-dates Boris by some considerable time.

Foulness was the recommended site for a third London Airport in 1971 and had been discussed for many years before that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Foulness was the recommended site for a third London Airport in 1971 and had been discussed for many years before that.

Great location for an airport with all those migratory birds around.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm not Mayor Boris, but if you like you may refer to me as my official title, His Randyness the High Priest to Loki God of Mischief

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

But totally impractical from an airport point of view - you need your flightpath aligned along the prevailing wind, which in this country is SW/WSW - so you need your airport to the NW or SE of the city it's serving, to avoid the flightpaths going over the city centre (as the Heathrow ones do). So Gatwick is actually in a fairly good position, even better would be Milton Keynes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

But totally impractical from an airport point of view - you need your flightpath aligned along the prevailing wind, which in this country is SW/WSW - so you need your airport to the NW or SE of the city it's serving, to avoid the flightpaths going over the city centre (as the Heathrow ones do). So Gatwick is actually in a fairly good position, even better would be Milton Keynes.

However Boris's Island is roughly 50 miles from central London and approx south of E of the centre, so fights taking off into the prevailing winds wouldn't go near the centre.

Proposed locations, BI is No. 5:

Thames_Estuary_airports_proposed_locations_SS_Richard_Montgomery.png.617b1f2cf96d795b454d5f2112475447.png

Google map:

airports.JPG.af2ee7339e4d45fedfb31589e8d43972.JPG

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

However Boris's Island is roughly 50 miles from central London and approx south of E of the centre, so fights taking off into the prevailing winds wouldn't go near the centre.

Thames_Estuary_airports_proposed_locations_SS_Richard_Montgomery.png.617b1f2cf96d795b454d5f2112475447.png

Google map:

I wonder too if the presence of the 'Richard Montgomery' and various associated 'if'/'when' forecasts of its potential fate might have put people off the idea of a Thames Estuary site

On 09/06/2022 at 13:06, phil_sutters said:

It was one of his better ideas, because it wasn't his! It had been postulated in the 1960s, but was dependent on the various military establishments being moved to a site at Cefn Sidan, between Pembrey and Kidwelly. A very vocal protest group soon started up (Save Our Sands) ; a friend's father was the secretary. In the early 1970s, the idea was kicked into touch, and remained there until Boris was looking for Pharaonic projects to attach his name to. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Google map:

airports.JPG.af2ee7339e4d45fedfb31589e8d43972.JPG

As for #5 - may as well move it a few miles SE - the runway is already there, plenty of room for supporting services & far closer to a railway line, fast road links & a ferry facility.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

As for #5 - may as well move it a few miles SE - the runway is already there, plenty of room for supporting services & far closer to a railway line, fast road links & a ferry facility.

Boris's 'masterpiece' was also to include a new "high speed" line to London IIRC.

No doubt floating on pontoons up the Thames..........😄

• Like 1