Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Well, this is not a very original thought, but given the current situation, I have to ask ....

... what's the best "Prototype for everything" picture for trains not running?

One of these?

SWR Rail Replacement, Buses Excetera, LN51KXP

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Well, this is not a very original thought, but given the current situation, I have to ask ....

image.png.4eb1f3fc63619155acb221f90fd34f03.png

(putting on my best flak jacket)

Am I mis-reading this, or does it include part of the Cheltenham-Honeybourne line? And I note that the GWSR are running today. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.4eb1f3fc63619155acb221f90fd34f03.png

Lots of things wrong on that map. Both lines on the Isle of Wight will be running normal services, lots of 'heritage' lines shown as not running, and, apparently, some long closed lines showing as running again (now that is magic).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

(putting on my best flak jacket)

How about this one, a freight taking the fast line through the middle of crewe at 75 mph during daylight hours, not long afterward my fright train pulled into platform 5 too

9E25B9EF-19AB-461B-9C46-005702384ED2.jpeg.6e103b76f0dc8da787d4c70a175068ee.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Lots of things wrong on that map. Both lines on the Isle of Wight will be running normal services, lots of 'heritage' lines shown as not running, and, apparently, some long closed lines showing as running again (now that is magic).

Given the complete pile of cr4p that Grant shapps and his colleagues have been saying about railway staff and their conditions today I'm not at all surprised that the map is a figment of someone's imagination 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 101 said:

Given the complete pile of cr4p that Grant shapps and his colleagues have been saying about railway staff and their conditions today I'm not at all surprised that the map is a figment of someone's imagination 

NO politics please

There's just as much Bullsh*t coming from t'other side as well.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

How about this one, a freight taking the fast line through the middle of crewe at 75 mph during daylight hours, not long afterward my fright train pulled into platform 5 too

9E25B9EF-19AB-461B-9C46-005702384ED2.jpeg.6e103b76f0dc8da787d4c70a175068ee.jpeg

Gave you a scare, did it? 😉

(Hopefully light hearted reply)

Good to see some things were moving today

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Here's something happier ... an opportunity to model how a new loco might arrive on your layout (not in a box from Amazon etc)

Perhaps on something like a Oxford Diecast Low Loader ?

e.g.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/volvo-fh-low-loader-trailer-heanor-haulage-vol02ll

Reid Freight

Thought I recognised the 'box. Frightening how long ago 3803 left. Buckfastleigh looks a bit different now

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, billbedford said:

Given that at least some signallers are striking, how realistic is it to thing they could be replaced by agency workers?

Downright stupid is the simplest and most accurate answer to that question.  Anyway the agency staff folk have no wish at all to get involved and are even objecting to the proposed Govt legislation according to their spokesman on R4 the other day.

20 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

No trains at Pangbourne, but then again this was taken ten years ago.... 😉

729437457_PANG38.thumb.jpg.6fa4b7a7035c0b79d89442672b5ebeb8.jpg

Road learning on the A329 then Nidge 🤪

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Downright stupid is the simplest and most accurate answer to that question.  Anyway the agency staff folk have no wish at all to get involved and are even objecting to the proposed Govt legislation according to their spokesman on R4 the other day.

367px-Marie-Antoinette,_1775_-_Mus%C3%A9

"Let them eat cake" seems particularly applicable to the idea that there's this pool of qualified agency staff ready to be called upon!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

367px-Marie-Antoinette,_1775_-_Mus%C3%A9

"Let them eat cake" seems particularly applicable to the idea that there's this pool of qualified agency staff ready to be called upon!

An amusing tale regarding agency types 'doing jobs' on the railway.  Years back I came across two of them one day at Twyford as I was changing trains on my way to Reading.  They rather officiously demanded to see my ticket so I asked them why because they were not wearing any kind of railway uniform and as far as I was concerned could be just a pair of busybody nobodies.  They said they were carrying out a survey 'for the railway' and rather sheepishly produced some offical badges (which they no doubt should have been wearing in the first place) and a letter of authority.

They then again asked to see my ticket but inadvertently (honest 😇 ) I mistakenly showed them my pass upside down.  They nodded sagely and said thanks while looking rather puzzled  and as I walked away they still looked puzzled.  It was obvious they hadn't got a clue what they had been looking at or even that I had shown it to them upside down.  And that is one reason why I have no time for agency staff pushed into a task they obviously do not understand.

But while I was working for BR I did on one occasion hire somebody through an agency but as he was my past deputy I knew exactly his capabilities.  The only reason he came through an agency was because he had been made redundant from elsewhere on BR and I wasn't allowed to take him back into BR employment unless he forfeited his redundancy payment.  The next time I hired him - into a different organisation a few years later  - we were a GoCo (govt company) and I simply brought him in direct so no agency fee to pay.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Just been watching the live Grosmont cam, the Q6 has taken the Pullman diner rake out with a loaded open freight truck on the back as a tail end load. Never seen that before, preservation or main line. (Vans as tail swingers yes - opens no.)

Initiative used and train images caught 15 mins later with a couple of screen grabs from the Goathland cam.  Not an expert on wagons, some form of XP rated tube wagon?

(Edit: finally managed to get Photoshop to play and crop the images - computer misbehaving a bit today and running mega slow!)

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.10.pngScreenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.14.png

Edited by john new
  • Like 5

On 21/06/2022 at 22:57, Wickham Green too said:

Well ...... none of this lot was running : - 

2104382746_2647.15DSC_0793.thumb.JPG.5e7d583b99434a395b188f382d7a4ff9.JPG

A freight yard in 2022 with loads of locomotives and not a shed in sight! That’s a prototype for everything picture in itself! 

• Like 3

On 21/06/2022 at 15:34, Rugd1022 said:

No trains at Pangbourne, but then again this was taken ten years ago.... 😉

729437457_PANG38.thumb.jpg.6fa4b7a7035c0b79d89442672b5ebeb8.jpg

I would have this would be a common sight...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, JN said:

I would have this would be a common sight...

Visiting the trainspotting branch of Waitrose in Tilehurst yesterday I can confirm from what I saw there that three passenger trains would have passed through Pangbourne in a matter of only a few minutes - one on each running line except for the Up Relief.  That of course was on a strike day when far fewer trains than normal were running.

• Like 1