Prototype for everything corner.

16 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can't keep up with the names of all these TOCs, English Railways is a new one on me

"Originally" meaning as-built in 1890 I suspect ;)

Edited by hexagon789
  • Agree 2

In fact the bridge was funded by 4 companies:

The North British - 35%

The Midland - 30%

The North Eastern - 17.5%

The Great Northern - 17.5%

The joint ownership persisted in Big 4 days, the bridge being jointly owned by the LNER and LMS in a 70/30 split.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

In fact the bridge was funded by 4 companies:

The North British - 35%

The Midland - 30%

The North Eastern - 17.5%

The Great Northern - 17.5%

The joint ownership persisted in Big 4 days, the bridge being jointly owned by the LNER and LMS in a 70/30 split.

Yes, I’ve seen those numbers.

However, this site:

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/forth-rail-bridge-firth-scotland/

gives these figures:

”Midland Railway (32.5%), North British Railway (30%), North Eastern Railway (18.75%) and Great Northern Railway (18.75%)”

You would have thought the actual figures would be fairly easy to confirm.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pH said:

Not so - the bridge was originally 70% owned by English railways.

Yes. The Midland was the largest shareholder in the Forth Bridge Railway Company, whose first Chairman, Matthew William Thompson, was also Chairman of the Midland Railway and the Glasgow & South Western Railway. He was knighted in 1890 for his part in promoting the Forth Bridge but retired later the same year on grounds of ill health, dying the following year. With him died for a generation his grand scheme of a London, Midland & Scottish Railway, formed by amalgamation of the MR and G&SWR, with definite overtures being made to (and favourably received by) the NBR.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes. The Midland was the largest shareholder in the Forth Bridge Railway Company, whose first Chairman, Matthew William Thompson, was also Chairman of the Midland Railway and the Glasgow & South Western Railway. He was knighted in 1890 for his part in promoting the Forth Bridge but retired later the same year on grounds of ill health, dying the following year. With him died for a generation his grand scheme of a London, Midland & Scottish Railway, formed by amalgamation of the MR and G&SWR, with definite overtures being made to (and favourably received by) the NBR.

Not doubt the LNWR & Caledonian who also worked closely together, would have had something to say about that.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, melmerby said:

Not doubt the LNWR & Caledonian who also worked closely together, would have had something to say about that.

They did. They opposed the amalgamation bill. Their killer argument was the lack of physical connection between the two railways, the G&SWR gaining access to Carlisle over the Caledonian from Gretna Junction and Citadel Station itself being joint L&NWR and CR property.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They did. They opposed the amalgamation bill. Their killer argument was the lack of physical connection between the two railways, the G&SWR gaining access to Carlisle over the Caledonian from Gretna Junction and Citadel Station itself being joint L&NWR and CR property.

The MR also used a third party (NER) to get into Carlisle.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

This past weekend the Somerset & Dorset Burnam & Evercreech Branch had more people on it than when there were trains..........

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=51.15049&lon=-2.58637&layers=168&b=1

For those not in the know it's Worthy  Farm:

Here's one we prepared earlier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The MR also used a third party (NER) to get into Carlisle.

Yes, indeed. And it was the unholy alliance of the Caledonian and North Eastern, cutting the North British out of Clydeside - Tyneside traffic, that was a factor driving the North British into the embrace of the Derby octopus. 

• RMweb Gold

The second coach looks like a TCL ( Trailer Composite Lavatory) from a class 104 DMU. During the 1970s some Newton Heath 104s had awhite bodyside stripe. IIRC, they had some form of modification and were used on services between Manchester Victoria and Blackpool North.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I`ve just had a quick look on the Railcar website.During the late 1960s and early 1970s, 13 Newton Heath class 104 sets received bogie modifications to improve the ride quality. The white stripe was applied as a visual aid to make identification easier.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Litchurch Lane carriage works by Merfyn Jones

Derby

What is the livery on the second coach - o/a blue with a white waist band? I don't think I've come across that before. Looks like a DMU composite but is that a brake compartment in the centre or just the effect of shadow obscuring the windows? 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

What is the livery on the second coach - o/a blue with a white waist band? I don't think I've come across that before. Looks like a DMU composite but is that a brake compartment in the centre or just the effect of shadow obscuring the windows? 

See the preceding couple of posts!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, keefer said:

Pity there wasn't a white/blue DMU and a grey/blue Pullman, that would've covered most 'blue' liveries in one train!

It's also almost like a display of the different types BR passenger stock with a low densIty DMU, a high density DMU, an air con MK2, a non-air con MK2 and a MK1.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Not got a full set of mk3's to go with your prototype HST power cars, but got a spare half APT-P rake? Look no further......

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979_3

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979_2

HST_APT_Tring_ege_Nov1979

Prototype HST, APT complete with motor coach, all under OHLE and a steam era oil tail lamp to round it off!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1