Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

You are completely correct. My only excuse is 90%+ of RMWeb inmates are somewhere across the border into England, on the other side of the Tamar Bridge, and only know it by the Anglicised version.

Having been part of a family that holidayed regularly in Cornwall in the '50s we knew them as Piskies

Even had a couple at home in Brum on a shelf.

Fond memories of the Exeter by-pass - not!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

"Westerns were powerful locomotives and pulled mainline passenger trains"

Roskear Junction.1976 1071.

There's a passenger, I can see him in the observation car.👍

I assume the coal is for the stove.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

There's a passenger, I can see him in the observation car.👍

I assume the coal is for the stove.

Yes, looks like the passenger is getting an exclusive guided tour of the Roskear branch line. Let's hope the coal is for the stove, or for smelting at Holman's factory. But unkind folks might say the coal was there to make sure the right amount of clag came out the Wizzo's exhaust.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Love it! 😀

Cornish Travelling Post Office van?

Delivery dreckly*

* For the non-Cornish members:

Dreckly - manyana without the urgency

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2022 at 12:40, john new said:

Just been watching the live Grosmont cam, the Q6 has taken the Pullman diner rake out with a loaded open freight truck on the back as a tail end load. Never seen that before, preservation or main line. (Vans as tail swingers yes - opens no.)

Initiative used and train images caught 15 mins later with a couple of screen grabs from the Goathland cam.  Not an expert on wagons, some form of XP rated tube wagon?

(Edit: finally managed to get Photoshop to play and crop the images - computer misbehaving a bit today and running mega slow!)

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.10.pngScreenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.14.png

Answered in the current edition of Moorsline (215, p21). A pipe wagon with a generator in it added as there had been problems keeping the coach batteries topped up with power. The wagon is Pipefit B741620 if anyone needs that detail. The short snippet also mentions that over the winter two of the Pullman rake's cars will have generators added. (Robin & Jos de Cros).

• Informative/Useful 2

On 24/07/2022 at 22:06, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes, looks like the passenger is getting an exclusive guided tour of the Roskear branch line. Let's hope the coal is for the stove, or for smelting at Holman's factory. But unkind folks might say the coal was there to make sure the right amount of clag came out the Wizzo's exhaust.

If it's for the foundry, it'll be coke, not coal.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, john new said:

Answered in the current edition of Moorsline (215, p21). A pipe wagon with a generator in it added as there had been problems keeping the coach batteries topped up with power. The wagon is Pipefit B741620 if anyone needs that detail. The short snippet also mentions that over the winter two of the Pullman rake's cars will have generators added. (Robin & Jos de Cros).

I've seen a photo of a 'Pipe' as 'Tail-end Charlie' on a Milford Haven- Carmarthen passenger service. Probably MoD traffic from the stores depot between Milford and Neyland.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 23/06/2022 at 12:40, john new said:

Just been watching the live Grosmont cam, the Q6 has taken the Pullman diner rake out with a loaded open freight truck on the back as a tail end load. Never seen that before, preservation or main line. (Vans as tail swingers yes - opens no.)

Initiative used and train images caught 15 mins later with a couple of screen grabs from the Goathland cam.  Not an expert on wagons, some form of XP rated tube wagon?

(Edit: finally managed to get Photoshop to play and crop the images - computer misbehaving a bit today and running mega slow!)

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.10.pngScreenshot 2022-06-23 at 12.55.14.png

Back in late 70s/early 80s, I was an NYMR guard and one day, my coaching set had an open wagon coupled to the back to be dropped off at Levisham. At this distance in time, I can't remember exactly what sort of wagon (obviously vac fitted) but I think it had concrete cable run castings, and had arrived via the Whitby pick-up. On arrival at Levisham, the wagon was left in the up platform under the watchful eye of the signalman.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've always had a wistful regard for the Kyle of Lochalsh, even if my great-great-great-grandfather took the ferry across from Skye and headed south about a 100 years before the station was built.

Brian Flannigan

Type 2 at Kyle

On a June evening in 1968, D5330 stands at the head of an Inverness train consisting of three ex-SR parcels vans and three coaches, the last of which I now think was an ex-SR Observation Car. Nearer to the right, between another ex-SR parcels van and three LNER/BR-pattern fish vans is a real rarity for Scotland - a GWR-pattern Hawksworth bogie brake. On the far side of the station there can be seen the roofs of three coaches, the middle low-pitched one of which is an ex-HR coach that would be in departmental use.

Any more excuses needed for Rule 1 Modelling?

Type 2 at Kyle

• Like 12

13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

...  Kyle of Lochalsh, ... Any more excuses needed for Rule 1 Modelling?

The "ex-SR Observation Car" was never SR property, of course, but belonged to the Pullman Car Company - originally constructed on an L.N.W.R. ambulance car chassis ( post WW1 ) but rebuilt as an Observation Car for the Devon Belle ( post WW2 ).

• Informative/Useful 2

Yes, it got around a fair bit, didn't it?

When first introduced, the Devon Belle only ran on Summer weekends but two years later it was extended to some weekdays. Unfortunately apart from Saturdays and during the high Summer season, passenger numbers were modest and in 1954 the Devon Belle was withdrawn. The two observation cars were eventually sold to British Railways.

Number 13 became London Midland Region number M280 and was used on Specials in North Wales. In 1961 both observation cards were transferred to the Scottish Region and ran on the Kyle of Lochalsh and the West Highland lines. The Dartmouth Steam Railway purchased number 13 from British Railways in 1968 so it has been a long term resident. Number 14 was purchased from BR in 1969 then shipped alongside 4472 Flying Scotsman for its North American tour. The coach was finally repatriated in 2007 and now operates on the Swanage Railway.

Or so says the Railway Blogger.

https://www.railwayblogger.com/devon-belle/

• Informative/Useful 1