Prototype for everything corner.

On 14/08/2022 at 05:49, DavidB-AU said:

It's dated 1987. Given this only has 2 coaches it suggests a DMU replacement.

Re Class 33 workings to Paignton.

The Book Rail Portfolios "The Cromptons" by Colin G Marsden, shows a couple of pictures of Barnstaple - Paignton services each formed by a Class 33 with 5 MK1 coaches, pictures date from Aug & Oct 1984, plus a picture of a Paignton -Exeter stopping service, again Class 33 & 5 MK1's near Torquay dated June 1985.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Update
  • Like 2

On 14/08/2022 at 14:41, charliepetty said:

The shot is at Paignton and the signal (now colour lights) is for crossing onto the up platform, as they do today: watch this at 6.21 minutes.

Definitely only one coach on the straight between the crossover - where it is now - and the road crossing .......... so the 33 was arriving wrong line unless the crossover has been moved. ( I can't think why, but might it have already propelled the coaches over the trailing crossover in some sort of peculiar run-round manoeuvre after arriving at the down platform ?!?? )

• Like 1

On the subject of Paignton, there were diagrammed 4 and 5 coach trains hauled by 31s and 33s. Up to 1981 there was also a daily Barnstaple mixed using a BCK-SK (and a couple of ex-GWR Fruit Ds!) kept at Exeter just for this purpose. It was not unknown for those two coaches, sometimes with a third pinched off the other Mk 1 sets, to substitute for a DMU at other times. 1987 is too late for it to be those coaches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... which makes me wonder whether the 1987 date is right ? ( The four coaches behind "Renown" in my 1986 picture were Mk2s.)

One thing that made me think it was later than say the early 1980s was the orange cant rail stripe. I’m not sure when they received them though?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

One thing that made me think it was later than say the early 1980s was the orange cant rail stripe. I’m not sure when they received them though?

My understanding:

Electrics - from 1979

Diesels & coaches - from 1985

The ScotRail Mk3s had cantrail stripes applied on repaint I believe.

Class 50s started gaining stripes from Jan 1986.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SHMD said:

Why do the end gangway doors open opposite to each other?

Kev.

43019 on the right was built with a guards compartment at the train end. By the time '165 was built the space was just used for luggage as it was felt too noisy and the TGS had gone into production. Quite why this resulted in the doors swapping hinge sides I don't know.

Steven B

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Steven B said:

43019 on the right was built with a guards compartment at the train end. By the time '165 was built the space was just used for luggage as it was felt too noisy and the TGS had gone into production. Quite why this resulted in the doors swapping hinge sides I don't know.

Steven B

Found a couple of photos of Class 43’s on the ‘net. 43002 as preserved matches 43019 (handle on the right), as does 43130 when in Crewe (?) works for accident damage. 43198 matches 43165.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Quite why this resulted in the doors swapping hinge sides I don't know.

Which side was the guard's accommodation when it was in the power cars? If it was on the right when viewed from the rear, maybe that explains it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven B said:

43019 on the right was built with a guards compartment at the train end. By the time '165 was built the space was just used for luggage ....

Presumably the guard's compartment was dispensed with from Lot 30946 = 43.152 onwards ( The 1991 'Combo' shows a handful of power cars "Retains guard's equipment" between 43.096 & 43.148.).

• Like 1

The Rivet Counters will go apoplectic!

Neil Harvey 156 - Castle And Warship On Hemerdon (The Late Geoff Greenwood) - An unidentified Castle class loco pilots a Warship, D846 "Steadfast" up Hemerdon Bank circa 1962. I don't know how rare this kind of working was, but I suspect Geoff had struck lucky. I don't know whether the car (a Vauxhall Velox?) on the right was his transport at the time, but it could well have been.

Steadfast by name but not steadfast by nature (or NBL)?

Castle And Warship On Hemerdon (The Late Geoff Greenwood)

• Like 11

I lived in Cosford from 59 to 63 and it was common to see double headed steam/hydraulics, but as far as I recall the diesel led the steamer.  T'other way round, like this, seems like a recipe for clogged air filters.

John

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The Rivet Counters will go apoplectic!

Steadfast by name but not steadfast by nature (or NBL)?

Castle And Warship On Hemerdon (The Late Geoff Greenwood)

Steam piloting diesels was not unknown in the South West.

I holidayed (with my Parents) at friends in Truro several times in the late 50's/early 60s.

I took the opportunity to do some spotting in the station whilst I was there and I saw steam piloted diesel hauled passenger trains several times, always from the London direction.

Either a single Warship or a pair of "baby" Warships, with typically (IIRC) a Hall or a Grange on front.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Either a single Warship or a pair of "baby" Warships, with typically (IIRC) a Hall or a Grange on front.

Most things from North British struggled to complete a journey without braking down. I presume the London bound ones at Truro had not broken yet.

Edited by Titan

I don't know if this sort of thing has been mentioned before, or how common it is, but here are some notes from the 1908 WTT of the LNWR Coalport branch in Shropshire. It certainly seems to liven up operations on a single track branchline

Engine of No. 5 Down train must work the staff from Coalport to Stirchley for 1.40 pm from Wellington

The traffic to and from Madeley Wood Siding is worked between Madeley Wood Siding and Stirchley by two engines (one at each end of the wagons) , viz:- by the engine of 2.25 pm Goods, Coalport to Hadley Junction, and the engine of the 1.40 pm passenger train, Wellington to Coalport

Passenger engine returns light from Stirchley to Coalport at 3.20 pm.

If I have read this right, then a goods train from Hadley Junction to Coalport, booked to shunt sidings at Oakengates, Priorslee, Stirchley and Madeley Market then returns light engine to Stirchley to return the train staff for the passenger train from Wellington. Presumably then the passenger train is double-headed for the run to Coalport.

At Coalport the goods engine returns to its train, which presumably includes any wagons for Madeley Wood Siding which weren't dropped off on the way down, and the passenger engine goes and acts as a banker.

Once they have shunted any wagons into and out of Madeley Wood Siding, picked up outgoing at Madeley Market and got to Stirchley, the passenger engine is unhooked and trundles back to Coalport light engine in order to work the 4.30 pm train to Wellington.

Madeley Wood Siding is in fact today's Blists Hill Industrial museum and the two sidings there are trailing in the Up direction so there is no need to have a second engine to work them. The sidings at Madeley Market are trailing in the Down direction so normal practice would be to take outgoing trucks down to Coalport and then back.

The only reason I can think of for this complicated working is that the climb out of Coalport is pretty stiff and a small DX or Coal engine of the time might well have needed a banker.

Edited by whart57
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2