Prototype for everything corner.

post-21587-0-53392700-1462218152_thumb.jpgA rarity from the Southern here.

Southern EMUs rarely contained vehicles within a set in different liveries as the fixed formations of sets meant they would tend to go through works and every vehicle would be repainted at the same time ( although there were a few exceptions over the years).

So this shot is rare from that perspective but also in that it shows the rare combination of a 4 VEP motor coach (in blue) coupled to what appears to be a trio of 4CIG coaches in blue and grey.

The unusual headboard (presumably indicating that it is a test train) and the unusual headcode (34) adds to the mystery. 

If you ran this on a layout then you would attract howls of disbelief!

The picture was taken at Surbiton around 1971/2

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

There was another place in the same area that had back to back stops but a ground frame connection between the two. Does that still exist?

• RMweb Premium

There was another place in the same area that had back to back stops but a ground frame connection between the two. Does that still exist?

That may well have been Ormskirk.

Cheers,

Mick

That may well have been Ormskirk.

Cheers,

Mick

Yup, Originally they left the other side of the loop for excursions and special through services. https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7204/14013892312_f442b4ed16_b.jpg Gone now though.

Edited by lankyphil

attachicon.gifa0011.jpgA rarity from the Southern here.

Southern EMUs rarely contained vehicles within a set in different liveries as the fixed formations of sets meant they would tend to go through works and every vehicle would be repainted at the same time ( although there were a few exceptions over the years).

So this shot is rare from that perspective but also in that it shows the rare combination of a 4 VEP motor coach (in blue) coupled to what appears to be a trio of 4CIG coaches in blue and grey.

The unusual headboard (presumably indicating that it is a test train) and the unusual headcode (34) adds to the mystery. 

Headcode 34 was for up services empty stock to wimbledon park depot or ex Eastleigh works

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifa0011.jpgA rarity from the Southern here.

Is the unit number readable on the original image? Just wondering if it says 7739, IIRC one DTC of this unit remained 'spare' after the formation of the 8VAB unit (from the majority of vehicles from 7739/7741/7742)

There were 3xTSO and 2xDTC left spare but by 1969, 2xTSO and 1xDTC had been used to replace vehicles in other sets.(source R.O. Nov.1969). If I've read it correctly, then this may be DTC 76370.

• Like 1

I hope the loco has a cast lion and wheel emblem on the body-side, because there are not that many shots of them in those early days.

The first half dozen photos here have this symbol.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brelectric

Not the best photos, but I was only a teenager. Incidentally I did get a quote for purchasing one of these lions when they were taken off but I couldn't afford it - and I have no idea where I would have kept it until I ended my student days! I suspect I didn't think through how large they were.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

Is the unit number readable on the original image? Just wondering if it says 7739, IIRC one DTC of this unit remained 'spare' after the formation of the 8VAB unit (from the majority of vehicles from 7739/7741/7742)

There were 3xTSO and 2xDTC left spare but by 1969, 2xTSO and 1xDTC had been used to replace vehicles in other sets.(source R.O. Nov.1969). If I've read it correctly, then this may be DTC 76370.

I haven't got the original print unfortunately but I think the VEP vehicle is very likely to be a spare from the 8 VAB donations as stated.

Another possibility though is that it may have been the undamaged DTC from unit 7714 which was involved in the crash that occurred at this location in July 1971 which I think became spare for a while until 7714 was ultimately reformed

Yup, we do our PTS assessments there. The driving school covers a lot of third rail lines - it's a lot quicker to walk to the wheel lathe rather than the south coast to practice with the shorting bars and track circuit clips.

I also assume if we turned something third rail you could set up the pick up shoe? (It's not for the mule, they use the yellow bars in the four foot)

Edited by modfather
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To allow for adjustment of the shoe gear height after the wheels have been turned?

If the wheels are turned enough, the shoes may be too low and require to be raised by the same amount?

EDIT : missed modfather's post!

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Aha! I saw that consist waiting to leave Heaton Depot (three power cars pulling a Mark 3 coach at that point) as I was waiting for the metro to the match on Saturday. I remember thinking "If only I had my camera I could have put a photo on the 'Prototype for Everything' thread" and lo and behold someone else has!

Arp

The first half dozen photos here have this symbol.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brelectric

Not the best photos, but I was only a teenager. Incidentally I did get a quote for purchasing one of these lions when they were taken off but I couldn't afford it - and I have no idea where I would have kept it until I ended my student days! I suspect I didn't think through how large they were.

Paul

Thanks; although the first three are not AL6s, which were the class I was referring to - but probably not making myself clear enough.

• 5 weeks later...