Using T Gauge in other Scales

sjgardiner

So I know there is an active group of actual T-Gauge modellers in the UK, and your dedication to such a tiny scale amazes me, but discovering T-Gauge track has allowed me to use it in an alternate way, to model 7.5" Gauge Miniature Railway in HO Scale.  I'm a volunteer at the Toronto Railway Museum, and i've been working on models in HO Scale of all our equipment, but doing the miniature railway was a tough one, then i found T Gauge, and the rail scales out to just a hair over 10" in HO, which is near enough to scale to be visually perfect.

I've built a mini-diorama of the Don Station platform that we operate the miniature railway from

6992789588_3d849b2d93_o.jpg

The real Don Station platform

10768403505_7c150b2e52_c.jpg

And the Model.

The Miniature Railway equipment is mostly 3D printed, designed by me from the plans for our riding cars and measuring the locomotives.  The largest locomotive is from a Japanese "Egg Toy" Collection of steam locomotives, one of them was a Rio Grande Mogul that was roughly the right size and appearance to match our main steam locomotive.

Hope you enjoy the shots, just thought the T Gauge modellers would appreciate someone finding other ways of using it to integrate into their modelling.

Cheers,

Stephen

Oh my! That looks awesome! May I ask you how you made this locomotive or acquired it? Is it functioning? I love your work, thaks for sharing!

The largest locomotive is a Japanese Egg Toy, I'll try to find the link to them and update the post with it.

Update: Furuta Choco Eggs:

http://www.micronationshop.com/servlet/the-Trains-cln-Scaled/Categories

The wheels are just slightly wider than the t gauge track

The two smaller locomotives and the riding cars are 3D printed by Shapeways to designs I drew myself based on the plans and taking measurements of the real equipment. All are static models, someday if like to look at doing them as operational, but that day is well off in the future.

Great stuff, really clever work. Always a pleasure to see something different and innovative.

Any plans to build the station building?

Short answer is yes!

The long answer is as far as we've been able to ascertain, the plans of the station don't exist in any archives we have found, so as a first step I have a lot of measuring and drawing along with another museum volunteer who is an architect to create drawings of the station and our other structures (signal box & it's tool shed and level crossing keepers shanty) so we can produce models of them.

Stephen

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well done Stephen, yes I've cottened on to this idea aswell, except I am working in O gauge, and within that gauge T gauge represents 5 inch gauge. In fact I will be using all the smaller gauges within O gauge as the photo below shows.

From the back:-
O gauge standard
HO gauge track represents 2ft gauge
N gauge track represents 15 inch gauge
Z gauge track represents 10 inch gauge (sorry, track's there but no stock, don't know why)
T gauge track represents 5 inch gauge

I am converting to battery powered radio control, I love the freedom and constant power you get with radio control. You never get stutters, and do you know what? I reckon I can even radio control my T gauge. Because I will be using T gauge to represent 5 inch gauge the driver will be sitting on a wagon behind the locomotive (different to passenger coach shown in photo) and that wagon will be bigger than the locomotive and I reckon there might be enough room to house the smallest Deltang receiver and even the tiniest battery.

Well done with your 3D printing effort Stephen. I'm starting to get to grips with 123D Design. What software do you use? Assuming you are still there, I am rather late catching this thread.

Rich

post-17171-0-67457600-1465499190.jpg

Archived