HO Scale screw couplings?

CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Noting that the HO Fremo layout at Warley last weekend used them, I'm wanting to fir my HO continental stock (mostly DR) with working screw couplings.

Aside from the excellent (though pricey) Weinert ones, are there any other makes available?? I did ask the Fremo chaps on Sunday and was given 3 or 4 makes, but failed to scribble them down anywhere and Weinert is the only one I can now recall :/

I've looked at the various makes of 4mm screw couplings I have, some are pretty close to HO and could probably be used at a pinch, but it would be nice to get proper HO ones.

First problem with DR stock is checking which type you need.

A lot of locos used the type with the top link being formed from two straight bars bolted through the hook, rather than the more common, in the UK

at least, version that has a U shaped top link. I would stick with Smiths non working type as I find them a good compromise between scale and function. Scale 4mm working couplings are pretty difficult to use I find, let alone going any smaller. Not to mention the need to fit working sprung buffers to match.

Bernard

Exactoscale - use the short D-links. But at £10+ per pair, you might want to think twice.....

I remember when they used to be relatively cheap. The whole thing is based around a long thin M0.5 screw, so that you can tighten or loosen the coupling. However that screw will snap if you're a bit clumsy, and they're not at all easy to get hold of. During the days of the late Bernie Weller, it was possible to buy packs of spare M0.5 screws from him, but C&L Finescale do not offer that service.

• RMweb Premium

I'd thought about the Smiths type (as I have a large stock in for the 4mm stuff) but the hook would be hugely overscale for HO.

Might have to look at the Ambis or Masokits ones, at least the hooks will be more suitable.

I find that, certainly in 4mm (running EM) sprung buffers aren't very necessary, though I'll have to check the buffer lengths on my HO stock to compare. Possibly retro-fitting with the Liliput sprung buffers might be an option, assuming they can be had as spare for sensible money.

Archived