Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• RMweb Premium

Kernow are a quality supplier all around. As well as offering great retail service their funding of some terrific choices of prototype from Bachmann and DJM deserve a lot of respect.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit I am not very happy with Kernow at the moment, those Blue DMUs are far too cheap and I promised the other half I wouldn't buy any more trains until the layout is up and running (a couple of years yet as the new house needs sorting first) but those DMUs are very very tempting!

Oh she was in when the last package (containing Presflos and ballast wagons) was delivered last week so is watching me like a hawk at the moment, I might have a day out down to Cornwall next Friday!

Drop em off to me and I'll give you a slice of cake, she'll never know ! LOL

• 1 month later...

Excellent service. I ordered a class 401, a Beattie Well tank and an O gauge open wagon yesterday lunchtime and they arrived 30 minutes ago. They emailed me the estimated delivery window for the courier as between 1 and 2 and they arrived bang on 2.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on the Kernow website for the first time in a little while. Sorry but I don't like the redesigned website - the pictures are so small as to be virtually useless! A significant amount of screen real estate is also wasted by putting the items in three columns rather than 4 or 5. Maybe it's designed for tablets or something small.

Such a disappointment compared to their previous site,

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on the Kernow website for the first time in a little while. Sorry but I don't like the redesigned website - the pictures are so small as to be virtually useless! A significant amount of screen real estate is also wasted by putting the items in three columns rather than 4 or 5. Maybe it's designed for tablets or something small.

Such a disappointment compared to their previous site,

Dave

It could be as much to do with how it works with your web browser - It looks great on Firefox filling the full screen on my PC (3840x2160) but on IE it fills less than 30% of the screen. This is probably down to MS than KMC

I use Firefox, and Chrome/IE when I have to. I find the images rather small, as does Danemouth, so it maybe personal settings and hardware that are making the difference. I don't find it a problem as such, but it is noticeable and maybe does result from a need to be "tablet/phone friendly".

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Cornwall and a trip into Camborne was in order and £200 less, I'm well happy with the staff there, They all know what they are talking about and are up-to-date on latest releases. The only thing I must complain about was the radio was tuned to Radio 3 and I never listen to that station (I'm a radio 2 man) Ken Bruce Pop master you know!

Mathew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There has been some debate on the Kernow commissioned model, Southern O2, about pre orders being lost on the Kernow system. I checked mine again and found that 2 orders for the LSWR Gate Stock coaches were missing. I didn't have my original e-mail order confirmation as that was sent to an old e-mail account, now closed. I phoned Kernow and they confirmed that my 2 orders were intact on their background system. Apparently some pre order data did not transfer over to users accounts from the old to the new website systems, so its worth checking pre orders and contacting Kernow if any have gone astray. As usual very helpful support from the Kernow staff, despite dealing with an influx of new commissioned products.

Edited by rembrow

I've had a note from the boss on this issue to clarify the position:

We have never had an order go missing from our system.  As said before, we can even tell when something has been placed in a basket but not completed.

What has happened is that when the system was upgraded in April, some customers were unable to view their entire account history on the website.  Nothing has gone missing, everything is still in place, but it took some time for us to get to the bottom of the fault.  We subsequently found that on the new upgraded system our supplier had made it so that you can only actually view web orders on the website.  Any order that has been placed by phone, letter, in person, at a show, or by email, does not show up.  Also, any web order that has been amended by us for any reason, will also not show up.

I know this is rubbish, and I have been pressing Cybertill, our supplier, to get this resolved as soon as possible.  This is taking longer than expected, mainly because I am having difficulty convincing them of the need for it to allow the entire order history to be viewed as was previously possible.  I have told them this is the most important outstanding fault with the new system and they assure me that it is logged for future development.

In the meantime I can assure everyone that the back-office system is working fine and every order is still in place, and if you really want reassurance you can of course contact us, but we are extremely busy dealing with sound fitting Thumper models, processing orders for O2s and also a run of exhibitions, as well as four sets of cads arriving this week (one of which is a model that has not yet been announced!).

Regards and thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I ordered a couple of items yesterday Friday from Kernow Models. My order was made at 13.46, I got a note at 13.55 saying my order had been shipped and sent ..... and the doorbell rang at 08.32 today Saturday here in Edinburgh with the delivery.

I was astonished, and still am astonished, that a delivery of a routine parcel from Kernow in Cornwall arrived in Edinburgh the next morning! It was simply Royal Mail Standard Delivery, so I wasn't expecting it to arrive till Monday at the earliest, more likely Tiesday. There is still no word on the order I made immediately before to John Lewis for a similarly sized parcel.

Full marks to Kernow and Royal Mail. I have no connection to Kernow or Royal Mail other than as a satisfied customer. Well done, Kernow!

John

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Just to bump and largely echo the above - I placed an order at 08.46, had an email saying it had been shipped by 09.30 and received today in Cardiff at 09.30.

Incredibly quick!

Oops my order was missing two items - perhaps less haste before dispatch in future? Hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Regular browsers will know I choose to support Kernow MRC.  But a word of recognition is due here for today's order.

I placed a modest order for a few items of control gear all of which were listed as in stock.  Within eight minutes I had received not just the expected order acknowledgement which is auto-generated but also the "Order Shipped" email.  It will take a few days to reach me on the other side of the world but to have it picked, packed and shipped (or at least to suggest that is so even if it is physically still awaiting collection by the courier) within eight minutes of receiving the order is a remarkable feat.  A large business on Merseyside doesn't manage that.  A small family business in the far west of Cornwall clearly does.

And it will arrive with the usual hand-written note of thanks on the till receipt signed by the packer.

Proper job.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Regular browsers will know I choose to support Kernow MRC.  But a word of recognition is due here for today's order.

I placed a modest order for a few items of control gear all of which were listed as in stock.  Within eight minutes I had received not just the expected order acknowledgement which is auto-generated but also the "Order Shipped" email.  It will take a few days to reach me on the other side of the world but to have it picked, packed and shipped (or at least to suggest that is so even if it is physically still awaiting collection by the courier) within eight minutes of receiving the order is a remarkable feat.  A large business on Merseyside doesn't manage that.  A small family business in the far west of Cornwall clearly does.

And it will arrive with the usual hand-written note of thanks on the till receipt signed by the packer.

Proper job.

Agree wholeheartedly Rick, although at present Royal Mail/Australia Post between them are contriving to take over two weeks for packages from Cornwall, Liverpool and elsewhere to reach Sydney. My last order from KMRC was ordered and shipped by Greg on 13/6/16 (44 minutes from order acknowledgement to shipping confirmation in this case!) but only arrived today. And it just squeezed into the 1 kg band so I got a GBP 7.00 refund to boot, which is worth about 10% more than it was three weeks ago!

Agree wholeheartedly Rick, although at present Royal Mail/Australia Post between them are contriving to take over two weeks for packages from Cornwall, Liverpool and elsewhere to reach Sydney. My last order from KMRC was ordered and shipped by Greg on 13/6/16 (44 minutes from order acknowledgement to shipping confirmation in this case!) but only arrived today. And it just squeezed into the 1 kg band so I got a GBP 7.00 refund to boot, which is worth about 10% more than it was three weeks ago!

I live not far from St Enodoc's place in Sydney and got a parcel from Kernow today.  It was ordered and despatched on the 28th of June, so 9 day delivery which is usual. Liverpool is similar. I'm happy with both but the hand written thank you from the Kernow folk gives them an edge.  Cheers.

Edited by KymN
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

just to report excellent service from Kernow: less than 24 hours between me placing my order and a parcel being delivered!

and all the way from Cornwall to Norn Iron, amazing. (well done Royal Mail too).

all the best,

Keith

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

another excellent Kernow experience - look at this fantastic packing:

post-10919-0-85359800-1483360266.jpg

containing the Hornby MSC Peckett and the Bachmann E4 - in LBSCR umber, a beautiful model, lovely gold lining, and for less than £70 too!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

...... Bachmann E4 - in LBSCR umber, a beautiful model, lovely gold lining, and for less than £70 too!

I saw one in their shop the other day too, same livery, £68 I think.  

Almost tempted, but I don't think they made it onto the Central Wales line in 1910   :no:

Edited by Penlan

I saw one in their shop the other day too, same livery, £68 I think.  

Almost tempted, but I don't think they made it onto the Central Wales line in 1910   :no:

I paid £93.46 for my LBSC E4 as I got caught up in the Hattons pre-order saga with Bachmann. Looks like it pays to shop around.

I'm another who has had great service from Kernow. Both my 02 and E4 arrived well packed and quickly. I even called to thank them for their service; something of a rarity these days and something Kernow should be proud of. I'll most certainly shop with them again-something I definitely won't be doing with a well-known, small, Sheffield retailer...

Edited by AndyG

Seen them at a few exhibitions and they always have a wealth of stock on show with some very tempting offers which included at one point the railway children train pack for £89.99 I've also ordered a couple of locos that my local model shop no longer had in stock and was quite surprised when I got next day free postage because I spent over a certain amount. Great service, great stock and great offers. Must visit them sometime if I ever go back down to Cornwall.

• RMweb Premium

Those following the D600 (class 41) thread will be aware that those of us with pre-orders will be receiving emails advising how the new price is to be "mitigated" (their word) as the original can, unsurprisingly, no longer be honoured.  I won't go into the terms here as they may differ between customers but suffice to say I am more than happy with the offer I received and the order for the entire fleet stands.  Quick, friendly exchange of emails and a result perhaps a little better than I had anticipated.  Given that the new price is outside KMRC's control they are as always doing a sterling job of communicating with their customers and providing timely information.  Which is more than can be said for some other retailers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those following the D600 (class 41) thread will be aware that those of us with pre-orders will be receiving emails advising how the new price is to be "mitigated" (their word) as the original can, unsurprisingly, no longer be honoured.  I won't go into the terms here as they may differ between customers but suffice to say I am more than happy with the offer I received and the order for the entire fleet stands.  Quick, friendly exchange of emails and a result perhaps a little better than I had anticipated.  Given that the new price is outside KMRC's control they are as always doing a sterling job of communicating with their customers and providing timely information.  Which is more than can be said for some other retailers.

My email hasn't arrived yet but I know roughly what it will say and I've already told Kernow that whichever way I go on their offer my order for two D6XX remains in place.

• Like 1