PRODIGY 2

BenHodgi

I have one of the original units that gauge master updated for me and have had no problems in seven years. The problem is with the wireless unit which I also have, it has lost part of the LED display twice and is going for a third time, so will have to send it back to gauge master for ANOTHER repair, they won't replace it!

regards

mike g

To answer Ben's question, I have had the Prodigy Advance 2 for four years and although it has been back to GM once for a new on/off power switch, other than that it has proved very reliable at many exhibitions (Que the sound of van bouncing along Lincolnshire lanes - sorry, roads ! )

The only drawback is the operators - up to three largish blokes - having to avoid knitting the DC012 leads. Even with curly cables this is a minor irritation ! 

You may not have this problem. 

I was rather hoping to change to wireless handsets but I may have to sell my body on the streets to fund them................not a pretty sight :jester:

To answer Ben's question, I have had the Prodigy Advance 2 for four years and although it has been back to GM once for a new on/off power switch, other than that it has proved very reliable at many exhibitions (Que the sound of van bouncing along Lincolnshire lanes - sorry, roads ! )

The only drawback is the operators - up to three largish blokes - having to avoid knitting the DC012 leads. Even with curly cables this is a minor irritation !

You may not have this problem.

I was rather hoping to change to wireless handsets but I may have to sell my body on the streets to fund them................not a pretty sight :jester:

Thanks for the advice Bob. I doubt I will experience this problem. Only me and my brother and we will be back to back. How do you plug in the controllers, is it on a 'phone socket' that you can install where you like?

Thanks for the advice Bob. I doubt I will experience this problem. Only me and my brother and we will be back to back. How do you plug in the controllers, is it on a 'phone socket' that you can install where you like?

Hi Ben.  On the recently retired 'roundy-roundy' layout, I used the PA2 controller (stuck on strong 'Velcro') upside down so that the three sockets were handy. I also used a PA2 extension plate (DCC11) but this was somewhat superceded by finding some network extension back-to-back sockets which could be mounted into the baseboard sides.  I also obtained some cable extension pieces so that the actual lead from the PA2/socket to the handset could be doubled in length. I will look up the sources and come back with the information.

• RMweb Premium

I have had a PA2 for a couple of years and find it simple and easy to use, one of it's benefits over some other makes, where multiple button pushing is often needed.

It has been back to Gaugemaster twice for repairs, who have given first class service, but neither time has been the fault of the unit, but rather resulting from things I have done that has caused damage.

The second incident I must mention because it might be of interest, in that it resulted from trying to use it with a PSX-1 circuit breaker, with which it appears the current spec units are not compatible.

Izzy

Hi Ben

Links for RJ45 inline couplers, both baseboard mounted and cable extenders.

Cable extenders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-Snap-Joint-RJ45-8P8C-Female-to-Female-Ethernet-Connector-Couplers-/190957698720?pt=UK_Computing_Plugs_Jacks_Wall_Plates&hash=item2c75f73ea0

And these which I used as baseboards mounted cable extensions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-Coupler-Cat-5e-straight/dp/B000MQM2FS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1387661738&sr=1-1&keywords=RJ45+Coupler+Cat+5e+straight

The only snag for the baseboards might be the thickness of your boards; I now use the Model Railway Solutions ply baseboards which are thicker than the clips on the 'snap-joint' coupler allowed and so I drilled/filed a larger hole before mounting the coupler on a separate thinner piece of wood. The Ebay photo shows you what I mean but I will measure one and get back to you.

Archived