L&Y 2-4-2 tank LMS operations around Wakefield, and rolling stock

GraemeR BR (WR)

My Bachmann L&Y tank is on order with Santa, and I understand 10695 was based in Wakefield for a proportion of its career. Anyone know its typical operations in the 1930s, and am I correct in thinking that the Dapol non-corridor kits are the way to go in terms of rolling stock? Did it ever run with one coach, on a small branch? Did it ever perform any freight duties?

Found one great photo of the loco in question here:

http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-LMSR/17607201_bkhztJ/1453711107_c7BbhPt#!i=1453711107&k=c7BbhPt

Many thanks for any advice with this.

I can't recall seeing photos of them on goods work and would think it rather rare: the Lanky was well off with 0-6-0 tender engines, which had the advantage of brakes on all wheels, an important point when working unfitted trains around the Pennines

I have to agree. They would be allocated to sheds for local passenger work, which they performed right to the end of their lives despite withdrawals beginning in the 1930s. They were actually pretty good machines and still did work on Oldham Loop trains during the Second World War despite the influx of much bigger Stanier 2-6-4T's. When Lees 26F found itself short of Fowler 2-6-2T's in 1953, two LYR 2-4-2T's were sent to work the push pull services until some Ivatt and Standard Class 2 2-6-2Ts were found. I saw the 2-6-2T's on specials coming up to Oldham and the very last one I saw was in Mirfield Station in 1960. By that date they looked really ancient.

There is a picture in 'Pennine Steam' showing 50762 (same configuration as the Bachmann BR model) working a Huddersfield-Wakefield local passing Spen Valley Junction. The train is a 3-coach LMS Period II non-corridor set.  Another 2-4-2T (50818) like the Bachmann model with short bunker is acting station pilot at Sowerby Bridge while a third (50865) is at Sowerby Bridge tasking water after arriving with as local from Wakefield. 50757 is pictured at Huddersfield working a local to Bradford Exchange, a service these locos had worked since their introduction.

I'm currently making progress on a micro layout LMS 1930s goods yard, with a run-through. Pugsx2, Jinty and a 4F will handle the freight then, with the new L&Y engine on local branch or station pilot duties. Thanks for replies so far, and I'll see if I can track down that book coachmann.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from their usual stamping ground the radials were also prolific on the Midland main line between Skipton Leeds and Bradford.on both the Aire Valley route and the Wharfdale line with locos being sheded  at Skipton and Manningham.

With regard to freight duties, in LYR days the loco from 8.30 Bradford to Penistone ran light from Penistone to Denby Dale to work as goods pilot from 10.40 to 11.40, so they were sometimes used as shunting enginesThe loco is not  shown as running light back to Penistone so it may have hauled freight vehicles. The return passenger service departed Penistone at 1.25. The loco was a Mirfield engine.1

1  Bob Mills'Train Control and Passenger Workings on the L&YR. Published by the LYR Society.

Archived