American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

I recall seeing this on Roger Nicholls 'Sundown' layout.

Great looking layout, Jordan

Yes that's the one, although his signs were much larger than mine.

I should also have said that the "Old fuel" one isn't original either; I've seen a photo of an American layout -probably from the 1950's or so - where the coal depot was named "Old Fuels" with the tag line underneath. IIRC the same layout had a factory called "Miracle Furniture" with the tag "If it's a good chair, it's a Miracle" .... I'm not always a fan of 'pun' names, especially extremely contrived ones, but some like these I think are very clever.... ;)

Looks great, Jordan!

I doubt anyone will notice the bullhead, it’s the alt. SAS thing: What Needs, Must!

I hope to see some movie of it, soon.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Looks great - the track is awful, just as it should be.  For any doubters of its prototypicallity (if that's a word) have a look at these gems on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwuA-oJdNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrvLK24VlEs

... and don't forget your scale chainsaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcwNp3PEyUE

The compression caused by long throw lens’ tend to make it look even worse......however staggered rail joints also accentuate the side to side rocking.

Modern Class A track is a good as anywhere in Britain and Europe.

Best, Pete.

The Maumee & Western has sort of become the 'default' Railroad of choice to demonstrate awful track.

The sway of the trains is caused by several factors including the state of the track, & all of which are difficult or even impossible to replicate in model form, especially with r-t-r stuff.

Considering the axle weights of US stock, the proper mainline track is probably some of the best in the world, surely?

Looking at my now older, DVD's of coal trains in & out of the Powder River basin and studying the track - it looks absolutely first class indeed!

Some of the older eastern coal haulers also had to have 1st class track as you simply couldn't have 600T locos and 14000T trains on anything but. (Thinking of the C&O specifically but N&W, VGN and others also come to mind.

I believe some of the Pennsy's metals were such that you literally need code 100 rail to model them accurately in H0 scale!

So, US outline encompasses everything from "High Iron" to ropey, weedy old rails that make modern cars sway all over the place! I've seen videos of old C&NW branchlines where the speed limit was 5 Mph for mile after mile, out in the Dakotas.

As to your layout, Jordan - it looks lovely and I'm sad I won't be able to see it at TVNAM, sorry!

Cheers,

John E.

If you sit and watch any of the Transcons (outside of towns - which is most of their trackage. The USA is still mainly empty or rural at best). It’s possible to watch trains of well over a mile in length cruising at 70 mph. Pretty awesome sight indeed.    However  - and this is very good for us modellers - there are also plenty of secondary lines (or worse) where you can still see crawling local freight trains wobbling their way about their business.

The sheer volume of freight carried on an annual basis in the USA is freaking mind-blowing! I’m not going to repeat the figures here because it is difficult to persuade people used to the British scene that they are real in comparison to the UK - it’s very easy to look up online...

Loof forward to more updates, Jordan!

Best, Pete.

Agree about the tonnage figures, but I'd contend that for many "UK only" enthusiasts the image they have of US trains IS of those mile-long freights with 5 locos on the point. It's the secondary Regionals & Short Lines they know little about.

• Like 1

It's the secondary Regionals & Short Lines they know little about.

It had been difficult to find info about such lines, until one got onto the internet.

Now we can ask about them on forums & get links to info from those that have the knowledge. :this:

It had been difficult to find info about such lines, until one got onto the internet.

Chris Ellis, Editor of Model Trains (the old Airfix mag, still going as MTI ) did articles about Short Lines in 1980, which was when I first heard about them ;)

The Interweb has made things much easier, though, that's true - with easy access to video footage of them in action, too.

The annual issue of Trains magazine covering regional and short lines is always good for some information and inspiration too. 

I was amused to note that there are two "Great Western" companies in North America , one in Colorado , and the other in Canada using MLW power to shift grain. Perhaps a warped sense of humour, but I quite like the idea of a Great Western branch line layout that might cause a bit of chuntering and spluttering in certain quarters when an MLW appears instead of a pannier tank.

Edited by Supaned
  • Like 3

Been having a play - er, um... I mean Testing Sessions this week.... :) all going well so far; everything staying on the rails as intended, despite some stock looking like it's about to fall over, never mind just derail... ;)

Of course, when there's a large crowd in front of the layout - that's when the stock will fall off.... :blush:

• Like 1

One for Pete... a not-very-good video clip...

The sound wasn't up (it doesn't sound like an Alco anyway) and camera in one hand & controller in the other was always going to be dodgy... :blush:

http://youtu.be/xA562W8gn9w

It's a clicky-link as I've no idea how to 'embed' you-tube videos... can't find an 'Embed' option  along the toolbar.... sure there used to be one, nice & simple for us simple types... :(

• Like 2

I thought we might see it 'rockin & rollin', but that was pretty tame..... :lol:

It leans over but I couldn't get a decent enough angle whilst also operating to show it. The end of the layout is almost up against my shed wall.

It won't rock'n'roll like the Maumee & Western anyway - first I don't have the length of run, & second, there are limits with rigid truck r-t-r locos, & I've pushed them pretty far as it is...

Edited by F-UnitMad

Well that went well - the layout seemed to be a hit at TVNAM yesterday (which is good as that's why it was built!!) with the trackwork being the main feature.

Only slight snag was a short on one of the points (when Jez was watching :blush: ) - turned out the operating rod underneath had come off the microswitch that changed the frog polarity - soon fixed!!

Thanks for all the complements I got! & nice to meet some fellow members, CP3000 in particular from NI & on his way to Cornwall ;)

Well that went well - the layout seemed to be a hit at TVNAM yesterday

Glad to hear that the exhibition went well.  Was this the layout's public debut?  I'd love to see more pictures (or video) if you have then.

Thanks,

Damin.