American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

I suggest this may be amusing  https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice/humor/english-lesson.html

However in a US based thread this may be an absolute load of bunkum

Personally  I would follow Moose the pural is Moose because that was the indian for more than one from which the name is derived so we could just use Caboose to cover however many you have. Although in truth I suspect the workers used cabooses.

Don 

Edited by Donw
s missing from is, bad fingers again
  • Like 1

Just to illustrate what happens with rigid-chassis 4-wheel stock on my rough siding - first photo shows the unmodified Bobber with one wheel on the high spot of the rail; the other wheel is clearly off the rail by some margin. Both wheels on the other side are on the rail at this point.

20211125_182017.jpg.42046f68f898adb215b13718efcec228.jpg

Second photo shows the modified Bobber with the compensation unit fitted. At the same place on the track, all 4 wheels are in contact with the rails in the required fashion.

20211125_182128.jpg.3d60c7c2b5be82fe1e8c8c9a86b6dc9b.jpg

I have now modified both Bobbers so they both have compensated chassis, although I'm minded to leave the one in otherwise original condition, as a bit of a nostalgia piece and a reminder that one of them was my first American O Scale model.

I solved the uneven ride height by removing the bearings from the compensation unit, and opening out the holes for them by a millimetre closer to the mounting plate - making the holes oval, in essence - and resoldering the bearings so the axle is now 1mm closer to the underside of the chassis, and the whole thing sits level. Apologies to the etch brass Purists, though I doubt any read this Thread. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

VANDALS AT PORTWAY CENTER!!

Shock news just in - we are sorry to have to announce that there has been a case of vandalism at the Portway Center railroad yard in downtown Portway, MN.

The railroad's ex-Soo Line caboose, which is used on trains being propelled to the Shortside Industrial complex, was subjected to the unwanted attention of a graffiti "artist" overnight.

Early this morning Police were called to the scene of the crime. Sheriff Lou Scannon said "Despite extensive investigations, we still have no idea who did this. We are appealling to anyone with potential information to contact us."

20211126_204651.jpg.75081dc9af261acd376757bfbc23bb7a.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

I don't really like graffiti - I'm not sure any of us do as railfans - but it is part of the modern rail scene, so I thought about including some on some of my stock.

'JAMO' was nice & short to have a practice with, and even sounds a bit like a 'tag' sort of name. I guessed no one would be offended. The regulars on this Thread and the US Section are an inspirational sorce of names, so you have all been warned!! :jester:

The real trick will be in making them almost, but not quite, totally illegible, like real graffiti!! :mail:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This evening's bit of modelling has seen a bit more work on the 'Detailed' Bobber caboose. I've been fitting seperate wire grab irons from brass wire, which has sometimes been a frustrating experience, getting all the bends right, and dealing with the inherent springiness of brass wire, especially it's incredible properties of travelling amazing distances when dropped on the floor, and despite being shiny in normal circumstances, becoming almost invisible on said floor, which is only wood-effect lino!!

I have now remembered why, back in the 1980s, I used to use the soft steel wire from inside those paper twist ties that used to be on bread wrappers and the like, when detailing my 4mm diesels. It was much easier to deal with than brass!!!

20211204_220824.jpg.d63b05400963d438e41f665c4a48483b.jpg

I've also run out of the Tamiya paint I used for Plymouth #30 (a.k.a. Shortliner Jack) and the only other green I had is much darker. Today I have ordered a Vallejo acrylic green which I'm hoping will be closer to the original green of these bobbers, not too bright, but a bit more welcoming than this sombre shade!!

20211204_220854.jpg.1b74cdf56bc5d53f4f11aaae62a9d7f2.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9

Nice, but ... but ... tell you what, dig into the barrel again and get 2 more 4-wheeler bodies.  Cut one entire end (roof, wall, etc) squarely off both and the cupola off one, then glue 'em together!

image.png.8c1fdecc44769a734e8a6c6cbfe4e1c0.png

But what about this spare baggage car and caboose bodies I've found?  Oooh...

image.png.6ecf4487824fd73807d519552f9f7944.png

Hmmm, O-scale projects are such fun, lets start more and more of them!!

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, jasond said:

Nice, but ... but ... tell you what, dig into the barrel again and get 2 more 4-wheeler bodies.  Cut one entire end (roof, wall, etc) squarely off both and the cupola off one, then glue 'em together!

image.png.8c1fdecc44769a734e8a6c6cbfe4e1c0.png

Hmmm, O-scale projects are such fun, lets start more and more of them!!

Jason

To be honest, with that post I'm finding it hard to work out who, exactly, had - or has - too much time on their hands.... ;) :mosking: 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/12/2021 at 09:30, jasond said:

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Now if he had cut em all in half....

You could cut that long one into quarters..!! :D

• Funny 2

Hmmm... so... this hasn't gone so well.

Vallejo 'Park Green' doesn't look much like it did on my computer screen!!

20211209_213927.jpg.a17755b651162c3cf1e4237fa56dd7f6.jpg

A bit of a 'yuk' moment, not what I wanted at all, which is something like the original Atlas green on the right hand Bobber.

So - any suggestions from you gentlemen for shades of green to try that could be closer to that green?

Acrylics preferred due to painting indoors. I appreciate the shade of colours will vary depending on screen settings for everyone, but there must be a shade close to that nice friendly green Atlas used. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I would go for British racing green it is a bit darker and practically the same as Brunswick green.  Greens can be funny I sat with Ken Payne discussing two GWR locos one built and painted by Guy Williams a noted loco builder the other was my Bulldog painted by Alan Brackenborough. The greens were widely different both of us preferred the Bracks paint job. Course Guy might have used a commercial paint whereas Alan gets a large tin of cellulose made up for him because he does a lot of GWR locos.

Don

• Thanks 1

While progress on the Bobber caboose stalls again, a bit more progress is made at Enderlin, my small shunty-plank/diorama.

20211211_215125.jpg.4fcb62c70b472aa6c75bfd21a4d7847c.jpg

The rear spur is getting the rails spiked in place. Mmmm, rickety.... 

Edit- the further rail is only spiked halfway, so far! Thought I'd better say it before any smarty-pants comments about gauge narrowing!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Regarding 'Bobber Caboose Green', Tamiya XF-5 Green isn't too far off. Not quite as vibrant but has a 'railroad shade' sort of feel about it. A second coat is needed, I think.

20211219_222645.jpg.f031a5fa2b8a311d918cc20aef341bb7.jpg

Meantime the ex-Soo shoving platform has been made to look rather more decrepit, as most of them got. Haven't done any weathering for ages, & acrylic paints aren't my favourite to work with. I might redo some of this.

20211219_222716.jpg.fb23155a4d25a7183a8437760c062e1a.jpg

And another graffiti 'artist' has struck!!  Who is it THIS time???!!!???

20211219_222735.jpg.ad6b085c8d0db08e7e109ac05efb35f8.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, JAMO said:

Nice green on the Bobber.

I can read something like "NORTHROADER" :) 

Help! The cops are after me!! Put down that spraycan, we have you surrounded.

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 298 said:

XF-67 NATO green looks close to my eyes, I do like their XF-5 green on metal but feel it looks too bright on wooden stock as does BN cascade green.

Yes the green Plymouth is painted with 'Nato green', which I then ran out of. But I wanted something a bit brighter for the caboose - representing a preserved example my thinking is that bright & cheerful would be more appealing, rather than a run down workhorse look, for which I probably would've stuck with the dark green I tried first, 'J.N. Green'.

BN cascade green might be even closer to the Atlas green, thinking about it, but getting hold of US paints is difficult at the best of times.

I was hoping the subtlety behind shortening "Northroader" to "NthROADER" would be appreciated... :jester:  

• Like 5