American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

On 20/12/2021 at 16:00, 298 said:

For BN green I've been recommended Revell Leaf Green #364, not my favourite choice of paint but it's about the only range that Hobbycraft seem to have full stocks of.

Funny enough I bought Leaf Green when I got the Tamiya XF-5. It didn't match the Atlas Bobber either, but I've tried it on my BN cars.

'Not quite' on an Atlas boxcar...

20211220_215953.jpg.3674b23121b65e1d7bd2f2667c8ea5d2.jpg

Nor on an MTH centerbeam, which is a different shade to the Atlas... 

It might work for mis-matched patching, or if it's weathered afterwards. 

20211220_220236.jpg.c2c487dc652354923ef942be5b55c82d.jpg

Edit: note to self - must wear 'readers' when taking photos, so I can see if my phone camera is actually focussing properly!!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Annual State of the Layouts Address

Or, "Where the heck did that year just go..??!!"

Portway Terminal RR.

I'm not entirely sure where another 12 months has gone - summing up a layout's progress every 365 days or so is actually feeling a bit depressing, as it brings to light how much has not been done, and how much more there still is yet to be done. Still, I keep telling myself that the Portway Terminal Short Line is a long term project.... :rolleyes:

Actually 2021 has seen some progress in a few areas of the layout; not least of which was completing the ballasting of the main line and some of the branch. Also, the main industrial buildings are now all in place as basic shells at least, with lots of work to do on them. Work has continued on the chain-link fencing which is almost complete. 

Progress with locos and stock is a bit hit'n'miss; The two Weaver Geeps are still in bits and very little has been done with them. The three Atlas Plymouths are great fun lashed together and despite the lack of DCC Sound, have been used in operating sessions rather more than the Atlas RS3. They make a fair racket without the aid of sound, but the Zimo decoders have been a revelation in motor control. The Railroad is making progress with it's "Heritage" train; fitting compensation to the two Atlas Bobber Cabooses has been very successful, and one of them is not far off completion of the detailing & repainting. The Weaver NE-type Caboose will then undergo a similar program of detailing & repainting; in this case Tamiya XF-7 Red has proved to be a very close match to the existing shade of red.

Of course the Railroad's Atlas ex-Soo Line WV-type caboose has been the recent target of vandalism; it has also had some graffiti painted on it... ;)

A long-term project with the rolling stock is to take each item one at a time and add details & weathering as appropriate. The intention is to avoid having too many out of service at once due to being in bits and suffering from lack of Mojo when it comes to re-assembly - see Weaver Geeps for details :blush:  Even some of the better detailed cars still need things like coupler cut bars adding. Just painting the wheels rusty makes a big difference to the appearance, but other plans include 'patching' some of the older cars with stencil numbers to reflect modern appearances, and no doubt some graffiti will be blighting some of the stock. One thing I want to try is adding magnetic air lines to the cars, that will link up & separate automatically. I have the wire and tiny magnets already to hand. This will also involve the removal of the trip pins from the Kadee couplers, which I don't use anyway so will be no big loss. 

So there is always lots to do on this layout, and the careful planning in the early stages is reaping rewards now when it comes to operating, which is always a pleasure.

Enderlin, ND

My new little project was started earlier this year, as a light-hearted diversion from my main layout. Still at a very basic stage, with certain details not yet worked out, like a 'fiddlestick' of some sort, or fitting a backscene!! But the temptation to lay more "Jordan Track" was too great to resist, although in such a short length the results may well not be quite as spectacular as people may be expecting... time will tell...

Lyddlow Goods, BR

No scenic progress on this Shunty-plank, although it is more-or-less finished scenically anyway; I have had a few short playtimes on this layout this year. This week I have also submitted a short article and photos for inclusion in Ian Holmes' "The Dispatch" online Micro-layouts magazine. Sort of a successor to the late Carl Arendt's micro layouts website, search RMweb for details if you like micro layouts but haven't yet seen this new magazine, which started earlier in 2021.

One of the ridiculous things I find with this layout is that every single time I write about it, I find that I have to check the spelling of "Lyddlow". Is it two D & one L, or one D & two L...?? You think I'd know for sure by now!!! :scratchhead::read: :mail:  :banghead:

Withyn Reach, BR(W)

Like another member has said about his layouts somewhere - summed up in one word for 2021 - "STATIC".  No work done on it, I have run a few locos up & down it briefly, but nothing further.

Ah well....

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling!!!
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I think I’ll keep off my “state of the Union” this year, you just look round, and it’s the same old same old, with just as much unfinished. Never fear, New Year resolution is to finish stuff, including a bobber, and not go round with spray cans and pictures of XXL women. I’ve always been a big fan of Lyddlow, and Enderlin sounds very promising, so looking forward to 2022 on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jordan, you bum, I was all set to nip up to the loft and paint a coach this afternoon, then I followed your link to the Dispatch, which was something I was totally unaware of, and which has set my thoughts off into all manner of directions, and no modelling gone forward!

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Jordan, you bum, I was all set to nip up to the loft and paint a coach this afternoon, then I followed your link to the Dispatch, which was something I was totally unaware of, and which has set my thoughts off into all manner of directions, and no modelling gone forward!

I’m sorry reading The Dispatch can have unexpected side effects. Please consider subscribing to my little publication and building a Micro Layout. 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Ian, I can access it via your page on RMweb, saving signing up and codewords and all that malarkey, but I’ll certainly look in, I’ve found it a worthy successor to Carl Arendts old thread, very thought provoking, and I’m another  with Nearholmer in just wanting some fluidity in the definition. Every Modeller has an alcove or old piece of ply that can be pressed into use, which is very worrying when I’ve got various other layouts on the go, and I do want to, oh yes!

38 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I’m another  with Nearholmer in just wanting some fluidity in the definition.

Happy to help sidetrack you, Sir! :mosking:   ...but if we can just leave the matter of micro layout size definition alone on this Thread, please everyone, as Ian has stated the position very clearly on his Thread. ;)

Subscribing only involves submitting your email address to Ian, then you also get each issue, free & direct, earlier than 'general release'. :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, long time no post!!

Well, the Future is here... again. 2022, and over halfway through January already. :scratchhead: :dontknow:

I do have what sort-of passes muster as a new year resolution - to 'extract digit' this year and actually finish some of the far-too-many projects I have on the go in bits at the moment, before starting any new ones. :yes: :sungum:

I haven't broken it yet purely because with the loft being a bit cool in this weather (although there is a heater up there), I've not actually done any modelling or trainset playing recently anyway!!! :notme:  :banghead:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2022 at 21:19, F-UnitMad said:

Wow, long time no post!!

Well, the Future is here... again. 2022, and over halfway through January already. :scratchhead: :dontknow:

I do have what sort-of passes muster as a new year resolution - to 'extract digit' this year and actually finish some of the far-too-many projects I have on the go in bits at the moment, before starting any new ones. :yes: :sungum:

I haven't broken it yet purely because with the loft being a bit cool in this weather (although there is a heater up there), I've not actually done any modelling or trainset playing recently anyway!!! :notme:  :banghead:

Looking forward to seeing what transpires this year.  Modelling was moved upstairs to our attic room (not quite a loft) last February half-term, so I’d not appreciated how cold it is in January until this year, even with a working radiator.

January is therefore being used for trading - buying the things I need* off a list for my 2022 project and selling the things I don’t need for funds.

(*so far it is actually working - if I can stop myself from buying anything else now 😀: just one more order to arrive).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 5

Hi Keith, if you come out on top any time with spare cash, there are O-scale Meets just over the border from you.  On sunny days I have been known to drive up from Wiltshire with spare stuff that can be swapped for some of it for an O-scale Diorama....

Jason

I'm sure I said something funny about not starting new projects this year until I'd finished some current ones.

I'm not sure what this counts as....

20220122_093837.jpg.f7534b87b0cc7d37a6183e67404f9e96.jpg

A couple of the excellent Modellu figures, these chaps are intended to ride the back porch of the Caboose on the Portway's Heritage train, like on the YouTube video I posted a while back of the Stewartstown RR.

These are printed at 1:48 scale, & although of UK prototypes, will hopefully 'Americanise' easily enough into a Conductor & Rear Brakeman, since obviously a train of one Plymouth loco & one caboose needs a full "old time" crew complement of five to operate it.... 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Some actual modelling to report - hold the front page!!

Carrying On with the Bobber caboose, a couple of days ago I applied the second coat of green (Tamiya X5) & tonight I applied some lettering.

For letters especially, dry-rub transfers are my prefered weapon of choice; these are Woodland Scenics DT506, 'Railroad Roman'

As confessed to before in this Thread, I am incapable of doing things the 'right' way, and often only weather one side of a loco or car, or do one side heavier than the other. My RS3 is only lettered for the Portway Terminal on one side. In that tradition this Bobber is lettered differently on each side....

20220125_205207.jpg.898f5c60bf775ebe659ae8e4473846d1.jpg

This side is just 'Portway Railroad' which I have decided it was called in the 1950s/60s, before the more modern sounding Portway Terminal.

However, on the other side, we go back even further in time....

20220125_205219.jpg.517ec9937b971959e80d710b0bfd4492.jpg

When first built, some railroads had rather long names, often reflecting aspirations more than reality!!

As my Industrial park is called Shortside (because it's on the long side of the layout, of course) I assume it's in a valley and the railroad did actually get there from Portway, when it was built. In 1896, if anyone wants a date....

I got the 'Portway' and 'Railroad' a bit out of sync with each other, but I was trying to get them on a curve!!

Finally, a contrast in the green when I put the flash on!! The actual green shade is somewhere in between the two!!!

20220125_205232.jpg.148f7301f401d82f3dd9caa713de51c2.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

At least it's Caboose #2 on both sides!!! :rolleyes:  Reflects the fact one of the Bobbers was my first US O Scale model, so the one left "as is" counts as #1. The red NE Caboose will become #3, and the ex-SOO WV will be #4 - if some vandal doesn't put more graffiti on it!!! :shout: :jester:

• Like 6

This idea of actually finishing projects has a lot to be recommended for, I must say!!

Bobber Caboose #2 got a couple of coats of Dullcote earlier today; this evening I fitted glazing & bent up a couple of coupler cut bars & brackets from brass rod & strip. Here it is, reassembled & ready for service, next to #1 which apart from comedy repairs to the tops of the ladders, and fitting axle compensation and metal wheels, is as supplied by Atlas.

20220129_213335.jpg.43ed3a9bf1b4ca042f0d4325f23ef135.jpg

20220129_213359.jpg.d160b08d02458d4bb54f9c9f8c9da5f9.jpg

#2 isn't quite finished yet, I intend to fit the air brake pipe as well, but need some brass tube before I can do that.

Meanwhile the Conductor & Rear Brakeman have been painted and are in place on the porch of Caboose #3. The Conductor does tend to like his badges, & his gold pocket watch. That chain for it must be heavy though!!

20220129_214114.jpg.306ca26376f15ea1884fe615fb451984.jpg

Given their comparitive sizes, I get the distinct impression I should put bowler hats on them. Once I'd thought it out loud to myself, I think Laurel & Hardy is going to stick, whatever their real names are!!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Another 'to do' job ticked off the list, even if it's only a small one....

The "ex- Soo Line" Caboose gets it's Short Line identity - PYTL 4.

20220130_201626.jpg.94a9ac4b42aeb71f9e75c681c1d7a43f.jpg

Tranfers are Archers dry-rub stencil lettering. PYTL is of course the reporting mark of the Portway Terminal. Yes I did check it doesn't duplicate any real reporting marks!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

Here we are, clinging to the wreckage of RMweb - all present? anyone hurt? 

Looks like photos from Jan 2021 onwards are missing, as per Andy Y's update post today.

For my own thread here I think I have all of them myself on my own devices, but restoring them will just take some time.

Smileys seem to have gone to 'word' versions as well, but they are less important. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

18 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Here we are, clinging to the wreckage of RMweb...

Must have been some train wreck, I have searched U-tube and as yet have not found any video of the event.  MIght have to wait for the RAIB report.

regards, Graham

• Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Western Star said:

Must have been some train wreck, I have searched U-tube and as yet have not found any video of the event.  MIght have to wait for the RAIB report.

regards, Graham

That's because it was a Ship wreck, of course. No one clings to the wreckage of a train crash!!

You need to interogate the local U-boats rather than U-tube, especially look for U-666, "Dediserve" which is the main suspect of firing the fatal torpedo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

... especially look for U-666, "Dediserve" which is the main suspect of firing the fatal torpedo.

Nope, the torpedo was full of molten steel and a dud in the water...

Captain Did-not-Serve is responsible for failing to put the plug back in the bilge hole with the result that the sinking of RMW was a prolonged affair and with no photographic record of events during the last twelve months.

Edited by Western Star
  • Funny 2