American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

Nice, but ... but ... tell you what, dig into the barrel again and get 2 more 4-wheeler bodies.  Cut one entire end (roof, wall, etc) squarely off both and the cupola off one, then glue 'em together!

image.png.8c1fdecc44769a734e8a6c6cbfe4e1c0.png

But what about this spare baggage car and caboose bodies I've found?  Oooh...

image.png.6ecf4487824fd73807d519552f9f7944.png

Hmmm, O-scale projects are such fun, lets start more and more of them!!

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, jasond said:

Nice, but ... but ... tell you what, dig into the barrel again and get 2 more 4-wheeler bodies.  Cut one entire end (roof, wall, etc) squarely off both and the cupola off one, then glue 'em together!

image.png.8c1fdecc44769a734e8a6c6cbfe4e1c0.png

Hmmm, O-scale projects are such fun, lets start more and more of them!!

Jason

To be honest, with that post I'm finding it hard to work out who, exactly, had - or has - too much time on their hands.... ;) :mosking: 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/12/2021 at 09:30, jasond said:

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Now if he had cut em all in half....

You could cut that long one into quarters..!! :D

• Funny 2

Hmmm... so... this hasn't gone so well.

Vallejo 'Park Green' doesn't look much like it did on my computer screen!!

20211209_213927.jpg.a17755b651162c3cf1e4237fa56dd7f6.jpg

A bit of a 'yuk' moment, not what I wanted at all, which is something like the original Atlas green on the right hand Bobber.

So - any suggestions from you gentlemen for shades of green to try that could be closer to that green?

Acrylics preferred due to painting indoors. I appreciate the shade of colours will vary depending on screen settings for everyone, but there must be a shade close to that nice friendly green Atlas used. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I would go for British racing green it is a bit darker and practically the same as Brunswick green.  Greens can be funny I sat with Ken Payne discussing two GWR locos one built and painted by Guy Williams a noted loco builder the other was my Bulldog painted by Alan Brackenborough. The greens were widely different both of us preferred the Bracks paint job. Course Guy might have used a commercial paint whereas Alan gets a large tin of cellulose made up for him because he does a lot of GWR locos.

Don

• Thanks 1

While progress on the Bobber caboose stalls again, a bit more progress is made at Enderlin, my small shunty-plank/diorama.

20211211_215125.jpg.4fcb62c70b472aa6c75bfd21a4d7847c.jpg

The rear spur is getting the rails spiked in place. Mmmm, rickety.... 

Edit- the further rail is only spiked halfway, so far! Thought I'd better say it before any smarty-pants comments about gauge narrowing!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Regarding 'Bobber Caboose Green', Tamiya XF-5 Green isn't too far off. Not quite as vibrant but has a 'railroad shade' sort of feel about it. A second coat is needed, I think.

20211219_222645.jpg.f031a5fa2b8a311d918cc20aef341bb7.jpg

Meantime the ex-Soo shoving platform has been made to look rather more decrepit, as most of them got. Haven't done any weathering for ages, & acrylic paints aren't my favourite to work with. I might redo some of this.

20211219_222716.jpg.fb23155a4d25a7183a8437760c062e1a.jpg

And another graffiti 'artist' has struck!!  Who is it THIS time???!!!???

20211219_222735.jpg.ad6b085c8d0db08e7e109ac05efb35f8.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, JAMO said:

Nice green on the Bobber.

I can read something like "NORTHROADER" :) 

Help! The cops are after me!! Put down that spraycan, we have you surrounded.

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 298 said:

XF-67 NATO green looks close to my eyes, I do like their XF-5 green on metal but feel it looks too bright on wooden stock as does BN cascade green.

Yes the green Plymouth is painted with 'Nato green', which I then ran out of. But I wanted something a bit brighter for the caboose - representing a preserved example my thinking is that bright & cheerful would be more appealing, rather than a run down workhorse look, for which I probably would've stuck with the dark green I tried first, 'J.N. Green'.

BN cascade green might be even closer to the Atlas green, thinking about it, but getting hold of US paints is difficult at the best of times.

I was hoping the subtlety behind shortening "Northroader" to "NthROADER" would be appreciated... :jester:  

• Like 5

On 20/12/2021 at 16:00, 298 said:

For BN green I've been recommended Revell Leaf Green #364, not my favourite choice of paint but it's about the only range that Hobbycraft seem to have full stocks of.

Funny enough I bought Leaf Green when I got the Tamiya XF-5. It didn't match the Atlas Bobber either, but I've tried it on my BN cars.

'Not quite' on an Atlas boxcar...

20211220_215953.jpg.3674b23121b65e1d7bd2f2667c8ea5d2.jpg

Nor on an MTH centerbeam, which is a different shade to the Atlas... 

It might work for mis-matched patching, or if it's weathered afterwards. 

20211220_220236.jpg.c2c487dc652354923ef942be5b55c82d.jpg

Edit: note to self - must wear 'readers' when taking photos, so I can see if my phone camera is actually focussing properly!!! 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Annual State of the Layouts Address

Or, "Where the heck did that year just go..??!!"

Portway Terminal RR.

I'm not entirely sure where another 12 months has gone - summing up a layout's progress every 365 days or so is actually feeling a bit depressing, as it brings to light how much has not been done, and how much more there still is yet to be done. Still, I keep telling myself that the Portway Terminal Short Line is a long term project.... :rolleyes:

Actually 2021 has seen some progress in a few areas of the layout; not least of which was completing the ballasting of the main line and some of the branch. Also, the main industrial buildings are now all in place as basic shells at least, with lots of work to do on them. Work has continued on the chain-link fencing which is almost complete. 

Progress with locos and stock is a bit hit'n'miss; The two Weaver Geeps are still in bits and very little has been done with them. The three Atlas Plymouths are great fun lashed together and despite the lack of DCC Sound, have been used in operating sessions rather more than the Atlas RS3. They make a fair racket without the aid of sound, but the Zimo decoders have been a revelation in motor control. The Railroad is making progress with it's "Heritage" train; fitting compensation to the two Atlas Bobber Cabooses has been very successful, and one of them is not far off completion of the detailing & repainting. The Weaver NE-type Caboose will then undergo a similar program of detailing & repainting; in this case Tamiya XF-7 Red has proved to be a very close match to the existing shade of red.

Of course the Railroad's Atlas ex-Soo Line WV-type caboose has been the recent target of vandalism; it has also had some graffiti painted on it... ;)

A long-term project with the rolling stock is to take each item one at a time and add details & weathering as appropriate. The intention is to avoid having too many out of service at once due to being in bits and suffering from lack of Mojo when it comes to re-assembly - see Weaver Geeps for details :blush:  Even some of the better detailed cars still need things like coupler cut bars adding. Just painting the wheels rusty makes a big difference to the appearance, but other plans include 'patching' some of the older cars with stencil numbers to reflect modern appearances, and no doubt some graffiti will be blighting some of the stock. One thing I want to try is adding magnetic air lines to the cars, that will link up & separate automatically. I have the wire and tiny magnets already to hand. This will also involve the removal of the trip pins from the Kadee couplers, which I don't use anyway so will be no big loss. 

So there is always lots to do on this layout, and the careful planning in the early stages is reaping rewards now when it comes to operating, which is always a pleasure.

Enderlin, ND

My new little project was started earlier this year, as a light-hearted diversion from my main layout. Still at a very basic stage, with certain details not yet worked out, like a 'fiddlestick' of some sort, or fitting a backscene!! But the temptation to lay more "Jordan Track" was too great to resist, although in such a short length the results may well not be quite as spectacular as people may be expecting... time will tell...

Lyddlow Goods, BR

No scenic progress on this Shunty-plank, although it is more-or-less finished scenically anyway; I have had a few short playtimes on this layout this year. This week I have also submitted a short article and photos for inclusion in Ian Holmes' "The Dispatch" online Micro-layouts magazine. Sort of a successor to the late Carl Arendt's micro layouts website, search RMweb for details if you like micro layouts but haven't yet seen this new magazine, which started earlier in 2021.

One of the ridiculous things I find with this layout is that every single time I write about it, I find that I have to check the spelling of "Lyddlow". Is it two D & one L, or one D & two L...?? You think I'd know for sure by now!!! :scratchhead::read: :mail:  :banghead:

Withyn Reach, BR(W)

Like another member has said about his layouts somewhere - summed up in one word for 2021 - "STATIC".  No work done on it, I have run a few locos up & down it briefly, but nothing further.

Ah well....

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling!!!
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I think I’ll keep off my “state of the Union” this year, you just look round, and it’s the same old same old, with just as much unfinished. Never fear, New Year resolution is to finish stuff, including a bobber, and not go round with spray cans and pictures of XXL women. I’ve always been a big fan of Lyddlow, and Enderlin sounds very promising, so looking forward to 2022 on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jordan, you bum, I was all set to nip up to the loft and paint a coach this afternoon, then I followed your link to the Dispatch, which was something I was totally unaware of, and which has set my thoughts off into all manner of directions, and no modelling gone forward!

Edited by Northroader
  • Funny 3

10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Jordan, you bum, I was all set to nip up to the loft and paint a coach this afternoon, then I followed your link to the Dispatch, which was something I was totally unaware of, and which has set my thoughts off into all manner of directions, and no modelling gone forward!

I’m sorry reading The Dispatch can have unexpected side effects. Please consider subscribing to my little publication and building a Micro Layout. 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Ian, I can access it via your page on RMweb, saving signing up and codewords and all that malarkey, but I’ll certainly look in, I’ve found it a worthy successor to Carl Arendts old thread, very thought provoking, and I’m another  with Nearholmer in just wanting some fluidity in the definition. Every Modeller has an alcove or old piece of ply that can be pressed into use, which is very worrying when I’ve got various other layouts on the go, and I do want to, oh yes!