American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of gentle progress with the scenic side of things.

The grade crossing at 148th Street is all smoothed off and got a first coat of paint today.

20220916_212505.jpg.393215570607ed338694c747a56f4974.jpg

A turn off on the right leads to the Short Line's Yard Office for Shortside Industrial Park. 

A start has been made on the grade crossing for Telegraph Road. This is having some forced perspective built in - the first high-viewpoint photo shows the outline (balsa strips), the second photo is more-or-less the eye-level view at this point.

20220916_212520.jpg.0b2e5c561a20d72bb76edf9e6e5c4cb2.jpg

Ignore the pointwork of my UK O layout "Withyn Reach" sneaking into the view above!!

20220916_212527.jpg.dedfa1d938ba9ca9c22ede9893a0140e.jpg

The "overpass" which is actually where the layout passes through part of the loft drywall has also been painted, to try and give the impression of a road overbridge.

20220916_212546.jpg.f646717aee0d32e25bfbfa2f5e2277a3.jpg

20220916_212557.jpg.1902e400e1db107c53f4a469d51e5adc.jpg

• Like 11

Issue #6 of micro laouts e-magazine The Dispatch is out now.

https://micromodelrailwaydispatch.com/

I mention it because there's a layout in there that uses American 'shorty' freight cars that I think would impress even a certain member on here who is famous/notorious for his own Shorty cars. 😁

Me? I do like the Critters that are pulling them. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Beg your parsnip, Jordan, I see that layout using shorty cars is actually done in HO standard gauge, not n.g. as I first thought. I sat down at my leisure this afternoon to study the Dispatch more closely, getting slight resentment from my better half, as we’re going away for the weekend, and I wasn’t very interested in the packing. (She likes to fill the car boot and back seat for just three nights away)

It looks like he’s made really short cars to get round the curves, it works well in HO, but if you double up the area for O scale it gets too big a block. A while back I tried doing a three foot square O gauge, 13.5” track radius, and I found it worked better for American outline with Kadee couplers than British outline with magnetic swing couplers. It’s since been cast to the four winds, but that could have been the start of my shorty car obsession.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Beg your parsnip, Jordan, I see that layout using shorty cars is actually done in HO standard gauge, not n.g. as I first thought.

You were right first time, it's HOn30. 😉 

...but the shortys are great - and the locos. 😁

I don't know how long these have been available, just saw them mentioned on Lance Mindheim's Blog:- a new range of North American railroad figures from Modelu;

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/north-american/

No doubt at least one of the figures will reinforce popular prejudiced stereotypes as per the Jeremy Clarkson School of Diplomacy - "One in three Americans weighs as much as the other two put together", but they look like being a useful range and the 5-figure 'Crew bundles' are a decent saving on the price of individual figures. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A 'blast from the past' picture today - a photo I thought I'd lost, but found a copy recently, much to my relief.

This isn't the present layout, but my 12ft long 'Portway Center' that I built about 10 years ago. It was 2ft wide, and the backscenes were 2ft high. I think it managed to capture the big skies & wide open spaces of the Mid-Western USA quite well...

IMG_1476_zpsff45cbc7.jpg.97b27a4bf04551c51e916309b0405f5b.jpg

The backscenes on the long sides of my loft layout are only about 9" high before the angle of the ceiling starts, so I can't get the same big sky effect now, but it's nice to look back on something that was quite successful, once upon a time...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Got new toys to play with this week, part of the new ModelU North American range.

I got the two Crew Bundles, for Transition Era (1940 - 1970)* & Modern Era (1970 - now)*. It doesn't look like there's much difference in the clothing, albeit the Modern crew should wear Hi-Viz.

Given that US Steam mostly died in the 1950s, it's a pretty generous definition of 'Transition' to me!!!

20221007_175002.jpg.d24fc1878b0f7b96d92fdb87aaff9897.jpg

All the extra support 'legs' that come with ModelU figures still freak me out, a bit!! Makes the figures look really weird like that!! 🙄😁

* Edit - the dates are ModelU's own description.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, long time no update - again...😳🤦‍♂️

However, in a bid to wean myself off too much online model railway forum time when I can't get up the loft, I have started reading a new book... (well new to me, anyway)
20221025_203957.jpg.567933246b07dadf95d07cbfff8f42ca.jpg

Now most of my Soo Line books, like many railway books, are really glorified picture books - you know the sort of thing, loads of pictures with captions, hopefully informative even if brief. Ideal Back of the Class literature - ""See the train" says John. "It's red and white" says Janet". You get the idea.😉
This mighty tome is a bit different. It's very thick & heavy for a start....
20221025_204009.jpg.2f28a753866437d707ed7d54ecae5d17.jpg
It isn't what I expected when I ordered it!! Full of chapters with lots of small writing & hard words, but happily there are pictures too. it's basicly a history of the Soo Line in Minnesota (yeah, well, duuhh!! 🙄🙄) right back to the 1860s with the earliest lines that ended up as the Soo Line.

It runs to 315 pages. At the moment, I have 304 pages to go..... 🤯

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1