American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

Yoohoo! Only visiting, you mentioned Portway Center on my thread a while back, but I only searched for it and read it all tonight. Dull, or what? Looks good, I like the way you make a deliberate attempt to lay ropey track, mine just seems to happen without trying. Good luck for the future, at one time I tried a O gauge oval, but all the sectioned baseboards was just too much altogether, so now I stick to BLT formats. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Thanks, Northroader, glad you like it (& the RS3 I guess!! ;) )

My baseboards are permenant, not sectional, made from Knauf Spaceboard slabs, so I should be able to lay an oval okay. It's just taking rather a long time. :blush:

So now you've found the key to the shed, dusted off the snoozing spiders and suddenly remembered Portway Center, are you going to TVNAM this year (with or without)?  Any other O-scalers going?

Jason

So now you've found the key to the shed, dusted off the snoozing spiders and suddenly remembered Portway Center, are you going to TVNAM this year (with or without)?  Any other O-scalers going?

Jason

Without. Not many layouts get to go twice to TVNAM. Last time I checked there was no O Scale layout booked for this year.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jordan,

what's new please?

Not much, to be honest! Tracklaying has extended a few feet to one of the turnouts that forms the siding on the Main, & I'm plotting the curve from there round the corner.

Other than that, been swapping trucks on some MTH cars for Atlas roller-bearing ones, detailing an MTH 50ft car to be like a modern GATX refurbished boxcar, & continuing detailing the body of a Weaver GP38-2, which will eventually wear CSX YN2 livery - just because I like it!!

Have also just had delivery today of some thin brass strip, to experiment with replacing molded plastic stirrups on freight cars.

• Like 2

A few quick pics of some of the above...

Trackwork progressing on the layout...
post-704-0-96526100-1502830855_thumb.jpg
The main is Code 125, to the left, the siding will change to Code 100. Switch is a #6.

Detailing the Weaver Geep. I really don't want to have to do all this again..!!
post-704-0-16649900-1502830902_thumb.jpg
... hence my constant calls for a better one!! (MTH doesn't count - have you seen the brake blocks..??!! :O :nono: )

And the MTH boxcar - fitted Atlas 70t trucks, replacing the molded grab irons with brass wire, & adding depth to the sills. Due to it's 3-rail origins, the car looked a bit "stalky" and too high on it's trucks, but as the coupler height was correct, adding plasticard strip was the easier way to deepen the sills.
post-704-0-64885400-1502830941_thumb.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 10

• 6 months later...
Slow, slow progress on my US loft Layout.

The basics of my tracklaying underway;

post-704-0-90718000-1503002827_thumb.jpg

At this point I've been spiking only every 5th tie, to make progress! Later I'll go back and add tie plates and spikes to the rest.

The Alco RS3 pulls a train through the scenic (eventually!! ) Green Ridge area of the layout

post-704-0-29251500-1503002916_thumb.jpg

Before Green Ridge, trains have to negotiate North Bend. This is the sharpest curve on the layout; a flange-squeeling 26inch radius at it's tightest.

post-704-0-23830200-1503002964_thumb.jpg

One thing I like about this photo is that it shows how the reflective hi-viz warning stripes on the boxcars really are reflective hi-viz warning stripes :D

From a low angle things don't look too bad though despite the sharp radius.

post-704-0-79046400-1503003010_thumb.jpg

Close up view of the displacement between loco and cars is a bit frightening, though!!

post-704-0-54355300-1503003058_thumb.jpg

One day, trains will be able to circle the whole layout... one day!!! :yes:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 8

Looking good Jordan at least your making progress. I was hoping to have my baseboards up by now. Unfortunately although my boards are made, the timber for the legs did not turn up so I'm not sure if they will be finished until the new year.

Season greetings to everyone

Regards

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Copied across from Jamo's Layout Thread, just to show I'm still alive & well & hand-spiking track...!!!

I'm still slaving away at my own track laying; in the interests of actually making progress I have speeded up the process a bit; once the ties are glued down & painted, I spike the rail at every 4th tie on both sides, but glue in all the tie-plates along the rail, ready to go back later & add the other spikes.
I have worked out that instead of a traditional "Golden Spike" Ceremony, I will have three seperate milestones to celebrate -
Bronze Spike - when the oval around the room is complete. Not too long to go now to that "one day"! All ties are in place; just painting and laying rails to do!! Then trains can once again chase their Caboose around my loft  :D
Silver Spike - when the last trackwork is in place - one siding off the Main; back to Code100 rail & as rickety as possible. Once that's laid, that's all my trackwork done!!
Golden Spike - when the very, very last spike of all is driven home - but as by then it'll be purely 'cosmetic', that day may be far off, & not actually of any significance as far as running trains goes! 

With the line extending past that tortuous 2ft-ish radius curve as photographed a few posts above, I can confirm that my 6-axle SD40 can get round the curve, but just as before on Schiller Point, it cannot haul any stock around it; it's just too long and the pilots overhang too far. I may experiment with Kadee long-shank couplers (#746 I think) but even that is a long shot, I reckon. A bit of a shame, but not entirely unexpected from previous experience. that curve is a bit of an Achilles Heel but unavoidable without some messy baseboard surgery. If it really does prove too unsatisfactory the maybe, just maybe, I might man up and rebuild that corner to try and ease the curve, somewhat.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

Happy to have news from you Jordan.

I'm pleased to follow the progress of your work and the progress of the others enthusiasts. That's motivate me to model.

We are waiting for the golden spike.

gallery_27876_4150_9666.jpg

6 axle locomotives need big curves and big layouts. I think the size of your RS-3 is the maximum. The proportion of the size of the locomotive and the layout look good.

A SD-40 is for "big" lines. It's only my idea. I don't want to fight somebody.

;)

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
More progress with track laying :yes: :D

After the line passes through Green Ridge, it continues to curve round, past the start of the Industrial Park. Doesn't a 36" radius curve look gentle after that flange-squealer at North Bend??!!

post-704-0-97527400-1503003187_thumb.jpg

After that we're on the long straight main line past the freight branch spurs. Keen eyed viewers will note the rail (singular) coming from the opposite end, and the short gap to be filled in between. I have been laying the rail from both ends of the layout, but these rails aren't spiked yet.

post-704-0-38614700-1503003226_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile at the opposite end, the curved turnout is fixed in place. Both the freight branch and the main cross Telegraph Road (inspired by/named after the Dire Straits song) here at grade.

post-704-0-18773100-1503003319_thumb.jpg

...and finally, one of my 'perspective modelling' attempts from a new angle; an old abandoned Prairie Skyscraper is out in the distance; an HO building only a few inches from the tracks! A bit of proper scenery will help disguise the gap further, hopefully!!

post-704-0-23952800-1503003356_thumb.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 7

Stop with the awesome modelling Jordan, you're not helping quell that tiny voice in the back of my mind going "You have O scale models, build a layout"!

Looks great pal, though that tight curve makes me really worried about derailing in your future. If you have the space, I'd ease that a tiny bit. :)

• Like 2

Stop with the awesome modelling Jordan, you're not helping quell that tiny voice in the back of my mind going "You have O scale models, build a layout"!

Resistance is futile!! :D

Looks great pal, though that tight curve makes me really worried about derailing in your future. If you have the space, I'd ease that a tiny bit. :)

Yes, as per one my posts above, it might come to that in the end. But most stock is ok, & it's a genuine reason for a Slow Order!! ;)
  • Like 1

Jordan is right. Daniel, you have to try to make a O  scale layout. :) :)

I've resisted until October 2014! Since, I model US O scale trains and I like a lot! I don't have regrets to made a try. I like N and HO but O scale too.

A little O scale layout is a good experiment.

;)

Edited by JAMO
  • Like 2

C'mon Daniel you actually admitted you have some O-scale models.  Do you want an old brick fireplace to do up as a free-standing module for your consist.  What?  No loco just now, how about an old All-Nation NW2 switcher on lease till you're confronted by and snap up something irresistible? :)

C'mon Daniel you actually admitted you have some O-scale models.  Do you want an old brick fireplace to do up as a free-standing module for your consist.  What?  No loco just now, how about an old All-Nation NW2 switcher on lease till you're confronted by and snap up something irresistible? :)

He's ok for a loco; he has a very nice Weaver RS3 ;) he made the mistake of posting a picture of it so we know it's true!! :D