Ross-On-Wye

JZjr

THIS IDEA HAS BEEN SCRAPPED AND BEEN REPLACED BY ANOTHER IDEA, NEW THREAD HAS BEEN MADE ON THE NEW PLAN.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/8286-stockland/

Ok, finally I have come up with a viable idea that will allow me to run a mix of all my stock!

The track off of the top left of the station plan goes to the Welsh coal mines in mid-Wales for Nuclear Waste storage underground.

The track off of the bottom right of the station plan goes to Cardiff via the Valley Lines and Queen Street.

The track off to the bottom centre of the station plan goes to the Severn Tunnel Junction - Gloucester line.

post-7028-12640956487196_thumb.png

Hopefully this can be understood!

I have some pictures of a station building which will be used and a shelter that will also be used on the station that I will upload when I turn on my laptop.

The station will be operated by First Great Western.

Also there will be a DRS Loco & Wagon deopt on the coal mine lines.

An idea of the services is outlined below:

1 a day: Virgin 221 to Glasgow Central

1 a day: CrossCountry 220 to Edinburgh Waverly (via XC route)

3 a day: CrossCountry 170 to Nottingham

3 a day: Arriva Trains Wales 158/150 to Swansea (Via Newport)

2 a day: Arrive Trains Wales 158/150 to Fishguard Harbour (via Newport)

1tph : Arriva Trains Wales 142 to Cardiff Central (Via Valley Lines)

2tph : Arriva Trains Wales 158/153/150 to Cardiff Central (via Newport)

1tph : First Great Western 153 to Gloucester/Cheltenham

Isn't it more likely that Arriva Trains Wales would operate the station? especially of this size and relatively low importance in terms of passenger numbers. Is Hereford north of Abergaveny?

Ross did have a station - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross-on-Wye_railway_station

With a bit of digging about you could incorporate some of this history quite nicely in the model :)

Good luck - sounds a nice little project.

Thanks for that link, I have been looking for information on the old Ross station but couldn't find anywhere!

The idea of it being operated by FGW is that in the past all services were operated by Wessex Trains but since the Wales & Borders and Wessex re-franchising then ATW started operating most of the services, but the station remained on the Wessex franchise. Also if I get a 166 then there will be a daily FGW stopping service to London Paddington via Gloucester, the Golden Valley line and onwards over the GWML.

Fred

If you allowed for the 'modeller's licence' that means none of the lines local to Ross-on-Wye never closed then you could have the following freight;

(i) Ballast (or stone) from Tintern Quarry - on the Wye Valley line between Monmouth and Chepstow.

(ii) Tinplate from Redbrook on the same Wye Valley line.

(iii) M.O.D. traffic to and from R,O,F. Glascoed via Monmouth

(iv) Timber to Pontrilas, again via Monmouth.

(v) Coal from the Forest of Dean care of the 'Free Miners'

(vi) Ballast (or stone) from Coleford in the Forest of Dean.

Nowadays, if the original lines remained and with a bit of 'licence' , I think the main services would be

(a)Gloucester - Hereford with a Cl.143 or Cl.150, possibly operated by FGW ?

(b)Cardiff - Newport - Chepstow - Wye Valley - Monmouth - Ross on Wye - ? and operated by ATW ?

You could then introduce your cross country workings to suit.

Brian R

I don't know how close you are to Ross (or if it's still open) but there was a small museum in the town with a nigh on scale length model of the station. It was 00 scale and operated by a very knowledgeable old chap.

It must be about 6 years since I visited (when I lived in Ross).

The choice of a 143 seemed odd initially as I've lived in Herefordshire for the last 8 years and never seen one locally but then all the runs from Cardiff and beyond are through trains up to Manchester and Chester so that makes more sense now I think about itrolleyes.gif

Best of luck with it

ps I'm sure that I read about some large item for a preseved railway being built/fabricated in Ross on Wye..... Maybe this could form the basis of a private siding?

• RMweb Premium

There was an excellent article about the old station in the Great Western Railway Journal a few years ago. It always looked like an attractive station to model.

The Severn Valley Railway station at Kiderminster is based on that at Ross and is in a similar style to that at Slough.

Archived