Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

I'll be pleased when my E4 arrives.  As long as it looks right, and more importantly runs OK i'll be please.  From my point of view it will be a three role loco:  Passenger trains, goods trains and shunter.  I just need the Birdcage set....

From a critical point of view, not aimed at the E4, but a general comment.  With regard detail, I'd rather have less than more if it's of a unique nature.  Such things being of an easily added on nature.  I tend to leave most detail parts in the plastic bag.

Can I refer you to post #119 which seems to have disappeared in the squabbles about track and other things. Having seen, handled and operated the production model I can say you will not be disappointed.

CAT

• Like 2

Looks like the LBSC versions have either just arrived, or have just been posted up look rather nice... not sure about the wheels... only thing I can go on is the preserved LBSC livery...

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1%2Fbranchline%2F35-075.jpg&cat_no=35-075&info=0&width=650&height=355

• Like 9

Looks like the LBSC versions have either just arrived, or have just been posted up look rather nice... not sure about the wheels... only thing I can go on is the preserved LBSC livery...

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1%2Fbranchline%2F35-075.jpg&cat_no=35-075&info=0&width=650&height=355

Looks pretty but my eyes were drawn straight away to the black buffer bodies on the red bufferbeams. A minutes googling revealed what offended my eyes, on the preserved one indeed the buffers are black however this is the entire metal buffer housing including the flange that is bolted onto the wooden bufferbeam. Bachmann have taken the easy option and just painted the 'plug in' moulding black leaving the flange red. Looks strange to anyone who has painted a model.

Yes I know it is easy to add some black paint but of course that would de-value a collectors item and I bet 95% of people reading this will not bother.

Am I the only one that finds silly details like this (and the lack of cab front lining on the SR version) disappointing?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Looks pretty but my eyes were drawn straight away to the black buffer bodies on the red bufferbeams. A minutes googling revealed what offended my eyes, on the preserved one indeed the buffers are black however this is the entire metal buffer housing including the flange that is bolted onto the wooden bufferbeam. Bachmann have taken the easy option and just painted the 'plug in' moulding black leaving the flange red. Looks strange to anyone who has painted a model.

Yes I know it is easy to add some black paint but of course that would de-value a collectors item and I bet 95% of people reading this will not bother.

Am I the only one that finds silly details like this (and the lack of cab front lining on the SR version) disappointing?

Tony

Dunno about you, but I'm not in the business of storing models on behalf of future collectors. By the time my models enter that market I shan't be around to bother about one fetching a tenner less because I made it more accurate. In my case, a smidge of black paint round the base of the buffers is the least they'll have to worry about!

The mere act of opening the box, let alone the cardinal sin of actually running the thing will "devalue" it and I'll be damned if I am going to curtail my enjoyment of any model I've paid my money for just so my executor can pander to somebody else's obsessions after I'm pushing up daisies!   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What did the Western Division use as a heavy shunter pick-up goods tank ?

I'm not sure that it did. The Brighton had an enormous number of tank engines, some of which, like the E4, were fit for freight as well as passenger duties, while the E3 and E6 had smaller wheels and were freight-specific. I suspect the SW used tender engines more often for such duties. Think 700.

• Like 1

With deference to those who were involved, my understanding is that the duties were separate. Heavy shunters were the G and H16, but there does not appear any evidence to suggest that they operated pick-up goods duties.

But they looked the business though,  and no doubt someone will produce r-t-r versions when other ides have run out.

PB

I believe they were sometimes used on the Ascot race traffic – I've always thought that could be the theme for a boxed set were such a model produced. 

• Like 1

A number of E4s were transferred to both the Eastern and Western Divisions, initially during the war. They could be found, at various times, at Eastleigh, Nine Elms, Feltham, Salisbury, Guildford and Gilingham, as well as one which visited the Isle of Wight.

As for heavy goods on the Western Division, the H16s were used on general goods, as discussed in the Waddon Marsh thread, and one shouldn't forget the W class, which may be an earlier prospect on the Bachmann wish list, with their N class for starters. I am not sure about the Z class, which had a more limited range of duties.

• RMweb Gold

The majority of pick-up goods workings on the South Western main lines were handled by tender locos (late 50s to end of steam). Intermediate shunts were generally performed by the train engine unless a branch tank was available between passenger trips (e.g. at Seaton Junction, where it was not uncommon to see an M7 shunting the Express Dairy with the p/p set still attached!)

For me, living in Axminster, it meant primarily 700s or moguls, occasionally a Q (though these were not common in the West Country), an S15 if the load warranted it or nothing smaller was available. On rare occasions, even a Light Pacific. The odd M7 or "Midland tank" (Ivatt 2MT) used to show up but only if covering for a non-available rostered loco.

In the early sixties a lot of the duties were taken over by Ws (very short term) and BR4 2-6-0s and 2-6-4Ts as they were transferred into the area. It was not until this that tank engines appeared on such trains with any degree of predictability.  

Q1s weren't seen with any great regularity west of Salisbury and to see one west of Yeovil was very unusual. Although not a pick-up duty they did occasionally turn up on a weekly as-required Engineers train that conveyed materials from (I think) Eastleigh/Redbridge to Exmouth Jn. but even that was not guaranteed to produce one. 

John

• RMweb Gold

The Z class did work on the western division, i know of two that were worked at Exeter

The Z class was primarily designed to be yard shunters rather than trip engines. For example 957 was allocated to Salisbury for use in East Yard which was operated 24/7 and the quieter 3 cylinder exhaust beat was preferred by the local residents who complained when a 2 cylinder G6 barked around the yard when the Z was unavailable.

Indeed they were used on banking duties between St David's and Central stations until the arrival of the larger W Class tanks.

I heard unofficially on Thursday that some of the E4s have already arrived and are at Barwell. However, there aren't enough there to fulfill pre-orders so Bachmann have decided to wait for the rest of the delivery before distributing to shops. As much as I want mine, I have to agree with Bachmann that it seems a fair way to avoid controversy of some shops getting their orders whilst others are left waiting for the second delivery.

• Like 1

I heard unofficially on Thursday that some of the E4s have already arrived and are at Barwell. However, there aren't enough there to fulfill pre-orders so Bachmann have decided to wait for the rest of the delivery before distributing to shops. As much as I want mine, I have to agree with Bachmann that it seems a fair way to avoid controversy of some shops getting their orders whilst others are left waiting for the second delivery.

Thanks heavens for that - the last thing we want is a million disgruntled RMwebbers moaning that they've not got one yet. 

• RMweb Gold

....ah, that's where my money has gone......just got statement from Southern Water....account £42.17 in credit....monthly standing order being increased from £17.60 a month to £24.70 a month!!

Enjoy the E4

Keith

PS: can't seem to quote dseagull's posting despite clicking the "reply quoting this post" button

....ah, that's where my money has gone......just got statement from Southern Water....account £42.17 in credit....monthly standing order being increased from £17.60 a month to £24.70 a month!!

Enjoy the E4

Keith

PS: can't seem to quote dseagull's posting despite clicking the "reply quoting this post" button

You are probably using IEX11 as a browser - Change to Firefox - For some reason, probably security related, IEX will no longer do a lot of things on this site - including uploading images to a blog and quoting pages. If you lower the security settings on IEX to "Please give me a virus, now" then these services might just return, but don't bank on it :)