Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Storage Boxes

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Long term yes as there are a lot of types so best to change it every 3-5 years and I've not had any marking. That's why I don't trust any plastic based material long term because it's hard to know exactly what type you have

It might be worth asking a local gallery or museum how they protect objects in storage that are not on display. Conservancy over hundreds of years is their business so they wouldn't be very pleased with some plastic foam that attacks the old masters so they should know some answers. More important they're likely to have a better "in" to the conservators in the larger museums (though you could always approach those directly)

Edited by Pacific231G

• 10 months later...
On 24/01/2017 at 18:32, Pacific231G said:

It might be worth asking a local gallery or museum how they protect objects in storage that are not on display. Conservancy over hundreds of years is their business so they wouldn't be very pleased with some plastic foam that attacks the old masters so they should know some answers. More important they're likely to have a better "in" to the conservators in the larger museums (though you could always approach those directly)

I use the 10L Really Useful Boxes, and cut 10mm thick foam into 36mm wide strips, glued with clear UHU. Lay these lengthways starting with an upright, then a flat against it, then an upright against that etc. I then use the leftover bits to make slightly wedge-shaped movable inserts to separate the stock

20230416_150152.jpg.f8c63e81cd729758e9d18fdd47fb3838.jpg

This conservation products supplier, Conservation by Design, recommends and sells nitrogen blown foam for museum conservation, Plastozote, and the prices are very good but you have to buy a quantity. Either club together, or the same product is available elsewhere but dearer. http://www.conservation-by-design.com/category.aspx?id=369

Edited by woodbine
restored lost images
  • Like 3

I use the 10L Really Useful Boxes, and cut 10mm thick foam into 36mm wide strips, glued with clear UHU. Lay these lengthways starting with an upright, then a flat against it, then an upright against that etc. I then use the leftover bits to make slightly wedge-shaped movable inserts to separate the stock

attachicon.gifP1060777.JPG

This conservation products supplier, Conservation by Design, recommends and sells nitrogen blown foam for museum conservation, Plastozote, and the prices are very good but you have to buy a quantity. Either club together, or the same product is available elsewhere but dearer. http://www.conservation-by-design.com/category.aspx?id=369

I see that Plastazote conservation grade foam is also available from https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/zotefoam-plastazote.php

I have been using A4 size polypropylene storage boxes, 304 X 216 X 55mm internal size, from Amazon which cost about £2 each.  I initially bought them to store my unbound Backtrack magazines but found they were very handy for 00-gauge models.

I've also started using acid-free tissue paper to wrap models in when putting them back in their boxes.  I can't comment yet on its long term suitability except that it ought to be good. 

Peterfgf

• RMweb Gold

Is this the ultimate in combined storage and work-station?

http://www.thisisinsider.com/collapsible-closet-for-crafters-2017-11

Next Christmas maybe... 

A fabulous piece of kit, but, if you've got 9 feet of space to expand it into, why does it need to collapse down to 3 feet?

Mike.

• 10 months later...