APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

• RMweb Premium

For point motors I have used the Peco surface-mounted ones with no problems; the 'box' is easily hideable in a loading platform/pile of ballast etc...or you could use a standard point motor with the arm extension poking out from adjacent scenery - again easily hideable...

Edit; just seen Steve's reply; all sorted then...!

I would have had a lift-out fiddle yard board attached to the main boards so only using the lid as a loose base, which would make for easy 'boxing up' after a running session; maybe you can still experiment with this?

Also as a suggestion to increase flexibility in a small space had you thought of having (re)moveable platforms/loading bays/warehouse/garage/whatever so you can create different scenes in the same space and run different trains accordingly? Just a thought....

Following with interest!

David

Edited by Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

I have enjoyed looking at this as I am thinking of something similar in N - but steam era. I think a BLT or tank engine and two suburban coaches should fit easily. Can I ask which point motors you are using and how are you fiting them? Wondering about motors and the 'floor' of the box.

Hi Tom,

I have used 9mm Ply as a baseboard (I had some offcuts available) and have placed them on 1 inch blocks. this sits loosley in the box for the minute but will be screwed from the bottom up once wiring is completed...

• RMweb Premium

Very quick update,

Not a lot happening this week so started building the Scalescenes bridge to replace the one I scratchbuilt…

I am going to lower the high level by 10mm to match the height of the scalescenes retaining walls and replace the ones I have made. This will also level off the bridge slightly so it looks less like a take-off ramp…

12824452734_ee8590f632_c.jpg

Untitled by Steve Purves, on Flickr

12824457694_351289fb3b_c.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Last night saw the completion of 6 pairs of Scalescenes arches to replace the free brickpaper ones I downloaded, quite an improvement I think you’ll agree. This complements the new overbridge nicely (2x Scalescenes concrete bridges joined together). These kit really are a joy to work with, I think the fact that if you bodge you can just print another takes some of the pressure off doing it right first time, which usally leads to the bodge in the first place! I have downloaded the Multistorey carpark kit which I think I’m going to double up to make up to 10 storeys (I’ll keep building until it looks right) and then depending on how space goes I may go for the high rise kit also!

12922372845_42c091454c_c.jpg

Scalescenes arches completed by Steve Purves, on Flickr

12922781094_d9f141b69f_c.jpg

Scalescenes arches completed by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Major Devopments over the last week…

I have been indulging in a bit of retail and picked up a Dapol 56 DCC trainset, 15 HAA wagons, 5 Telescopic hood wagons and a Ltd Ed 66 amongst other things!

So now I have a DCC controller and some chips I thought I’d better bite the bullet and have a go. I lifted the track removed and replaced isolators rewired the layout over the weekend which saw the first trains run on APA Park! The track is only loosely placed at the minute (located only by baseboard joints and power feeds!) so is not properly straight. I also picked up a trio of point motors so fitting them will be the next job now I know that the trains run. I have attached some photos of last night’s play/testing session. Getting close to having to start ballasting now!

13212569653_0692912bb2_c.jpg

Apa Park wiring complete and working on DCC by Steve Purves, on Flickr

13212748424_f1fc6aa97c_c.jpg

13212756174_b482fa3fac_c.jpg

13212764744_472937dc0e_c.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, I paid £231 from Rails... the 56 would retail over £100, plus the DCC chip, plus the controller which is around £135, 3 wagons @ £20 each and a large oval of track (peco 3rd radius and 8x double straights). So yeah, I agree, quite a bargain. I wanted the 56 anyway and a DCC controller (was going to get a powercab but this will do)

As an aside, Osbornes and Cheltenham I believe are splitting sets and selling the controller/loco at £100 ea ISTR.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Those Dapol sets are good value at around £250 (ish?) including the Prodigy Express. Black is the new beige for Gaugemaster controllers! Nice work with this, Steve. Pete.

I've just seen you are selling your controllers, is this a hint that you are going DCC? will we see an N gauge plank from you in the future?

I've just seen you are selling your controllers, is this a hint that you are going DCC? will we see an N gauge plank from you in the future?

Hi Steve. Plank yes, N gauge no. I'm still frustrated at my space issues (lack of) so as much as I like N, there's no room for another roundy. I thought long and hard about a micro layout (thanks in no small measure to this thread) but have decided to go back to OO for the next effort. Long and thin this time. Layout length isn't too much of an issue for me, but whatever I do build will have to be operated from the front and be pushed up against a wall. As for DCC, I've been a DC dinosaur for too long so thought now might be a good time to experiment. I am seriously tempted by one of the Dapol sets, maybe the Gresley one. You guessed, all I'm after is the Prodigy and some cash back!!! The N gauge APA box (for me) is an idea maybe for the future but huge respect for what you've achieved - you almost got me hooked! Pete.

Edited by Pete 75C

Firstly I have finished the baseboards that fit in the box. I lowered the height of the upper level to 45mm, which I think looks better. I then cut the hole in the end of the box for the ‘exit’ and then came to the problem of how to join the boards together… Because the lid is so thin I struggle to get a catch to fit so had to fix some bocks on to the lid and mount the toggle catches over the two. This now means the lid won’t fit anymore but it will sit on top with the fiddle yard exposed.

Re - joining the Fiddle-lid to the main box, rather than using catches, I'd have used multiple Neodymium magnets(that way it would have fitted in the box)- see First4Magnets website for lots of choice

I'm using the lid in the same way and I've been pondering this connection myself, although I'm purposely not building the fiddle yard until I've finished the main module so I don't get distracted playing trains! I'd also come up with the idea of the over-centre catches (in exactly the same place as yours), but I can't find anything smaller than what you have there. Being able to replace the lid is a must-have for me though, as the box has to live in the living room. Unless I can find a source of smaller catches that will fit on the edge of the lid, I had thought of mounting them on pieces of angle rather than blocks which would then fit around the box when the lid is on?

• RMweb Premium

I looked at your box, Sparks, when I was planing mine... I like the feel it gives the viewer. I never thought about using angle for the catches, the lid is ever so slightly wider than the box so by putting the toggles on tight this actually aligns the box aswell without the use of dowels. One thing that is worth mentioning with dowels, if you were planning to use them is their location. you cannot locate them on the central section due to the gap between box and lid, leaving the only place the box corners. The bottom corners are now a very busy place with the fixing screw already there, the screws for the toggles and now the holes for bullet dowels. I split my box by drilling the dowel hole on one side and had to clamp and reglue. I'm planning a further two boxes to utilise the stock from this... Apa Road TMD (a genereric uncluttered suburb TMD for my freight locos inspired by Leicester/Saltley). The final instalment will be an as yet unamed BLT to utilise the units from Apa Park, a single platform face with a couple of stabling roads, maybe a run down seaside town or country backwater...

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve. Plank yes, N gauge no. I'm still frustrated at my space issues (lack of) so as much as I like N, there's no room for another roundy. I thought long and hard about a micro layout (thanks in no small measure to this thread) but have decided to go back to OO for the next effort. Long and thin this time. Layout length isn't too much of an issue for me, but whatever I do build will have to be operated from the front and be pushed up against a wall. As for DCC, I've been a DC dinosaur for too long so thought now might be a good time to experiment. I am seriously tempted by one of the Dapol sets, maybe the Gresley one. You guessed, all I'm after is the Prodigy and some cash back!!! The N gauge APA box (for me) is an idea maybe for the future but huge respect for what you've achieved - you almost got me hooked! Pete.

Kind words good sir...

I was quite a fan of your last roundy and liked the oped air feel it gave. I will be plucking ideas from all over the place for my other two boxes once this one gets a little closer to the finish line!

...the lid is ever so slightly wider than the box so by putting the toggles on tight this actually aligns the box aswell without the use of dowels.

That's good to know. I was thinking of adding a block to the rear of the box to build it up to the same width as the lid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all, I have been trying to figure out how best to put a backscene in the box, and came to the conclusion that the best possible way is to line the inside of the box with 3mm hardboard. You know when you are making a Micro when you worry about losing 1/2 and inch from the inside dims!!! I thought I would have a go with paints and try to create my own sky. I didnt want to go for the generic 'blue with white fluffy clouds' sky that we never see in full size! I am suprised nobidy makes a pre-printed backscene in 'full glum' as it adds atmosphere IMO. I think what I have achieved is reasonable, but I am my own worst critic! I think I still need to add some definition and layers?

I started with a base of light grey and using a sponge lightly dabbed and smeared slate grey from the top working down. then added another few smears of the light, and then the dark and so on...

13567366895_5bdaa4faca_c.jpg

13567708434_1c38d0f928_c.jpg

13567358395_afe971ac4f_c.jpg

Happy Modelling!

Steve

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a 'out of the box thinking' suggestion! Next to the Trafford Centre near Manchester there is a covered dry ski slope. You can see it clearly from Barton Bridge on the M60. That would make an unusual alternative to your sloping road bridge. Should be easy to make too, just corrugated sheet with a big sign 'APA Dry Ski Slope'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, I have been trying to figure out how best to put a backscene in the box, and came to the conclusion that the best possible way is to line the inside of the box with 3mm hardboard. You know when you are making a Micro when you worry about losing 1/2 and inch from the inside dims!!! I thought I would have a go with paints and try to create my own sky. I didnt want to go for the generic 'blue with white fluffy clouds' sky that we never see in full size! I am suprised nobidy makes a pre-printed backscene in 'full glum' as it adds atmosphere IMO. I think what I have achieved is reasonable, but I am my own worst critic! I think I still need to add some definition and layers?

I started with a base of light grey and using a sponge lightly dabbed and smeared slate grey from the top working down. then added another few smears of the light, and then the dark and so on...

13567366895_5bdaa4faca_c.jpg

13567708434_1c38d0f928_c.jpg

13567358395_afe971ac4f_c.jpg

Happy Modelling!

Steve

I like the idea Steve and it does give the right 'atmosphere'!  I wonder though if it might be worth putting some shadowy outlines of distant buildings, chimneys and so on, to give a more claustrophobic, man-made background which will push the foreground out a bit...?

Looking good all the same...

David

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea Steve and it does give the right 'atmosphere'!  I wonder though if it might be worth putting some shadowy outlines of distant buildings, chimneys and so on, to give a more claustrophobic, man-made background which will push the foreground out a bit...?

Looking good all the same...

David

Hi David, I did consider putting something 'low level' on the right hand side of the box, behind the bridge but I wasn;t sure I could pull it off convincingly. The left hand of the box is going to be covered by a multistorey car park on the low level (up to about 3/4 height of the box) and the station building on the upper level. I still havent finalised the building arrangements on the top deck yet (with those handy platform lengths) I need to decid the shape and size of 'Apa Park' itself as the one that is there is only a mock up

The plan is to get some multple units so I can check clearances on the top deck and plant the platform edging, then work out how much platform/building space I have left to the rear before bashing something out of a few scalescenes kits to resemble a retail park/station frontage.

• Like 1

I like this, made so many plans for the APA waiting patiently in the cupboard but I never seem to have the time to start. Yours is a lovely wee model that is developing well and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it - just wish you'd put it in the Micro layouts sub-group so I'd seen it months ago rather than now!

Just a suggestion, you'd get away with that grey sky much more convincingly if it were a few shades lighter and the corners weren't so right angled. I'm sure it'll look better with a light source within the box though - the shadows don't help visualise what's there currently. Oh, and is that ramp leading to a loading bay or customer car park? Sounds like a silly question, I know!

• RMweb Premium

Hi ST,

I keep thinking it should have gone in the micro's forum, I didn't know it was there when I started on here! RMWeb is a bit of a minefield until you can find your way around... Not sure if it can be moved?

The plan is to have a facia at the front to reduce the viewing picture, with a lid on the top and an Ikea LEDBERG light unit top/front. I have recently completed a multistorey car park which now graces the box and will start on the 'park' now I have a unit to gauge platform clearances.

The bridge was planned as an access road for the car park, but I'm not sure as yet what the final design will be..

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A Little photo update, I have recently been working on a version of the Scalescenes car park to go at the end of the sidings. This will have a bridge across to the platforms and low relief station building which will also connect to the new shopping centre.

13739073115_ba8517c606_c.jpg

Scalescenes Car Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

The next job is to locate the platforms now that I have a unit for gauging trials. This will enable me to make the replacement shopping centre fit the space that remains. I am thinking of making it look more striking/modern than the one that currently stands.

13739471094_86970d0886_c.jpg

New Unit by Steve Purves, on Flickr

I have swapped my telescopic hood wagons as they pre-date what I am trying to achieve by a few years and replaced them with some JGA wagons.

13739119233_0576151a69_c.jpg

New Wagons by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like and loathe that carpark in equal measure; like because it's a really good model representation and loathe 'cos the prototypes really are an eyesore and I've spent too much time and money in 'em!!

Coming along nicely...

David