APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have lights! Also from ikea is Ledberg, a 3 section led striplight. 3 sections are too long so i have used 2. Glued along the top bar of the box at 45 degrees it illuminates the box fully. Now for the new platforms!

13931887463_e4d5e4b7f5_c.jpg

New light bars fitted to Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

13908707716_9e659acb0c_c.jpg

New light bars fitted to Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Also for the first time since going back to model railways, number 1 son has shown an interest. A quick crash course on DCC and he spent a happy half hour shuffling stock around. Later that evening he spent another hour on the roundy test track with the 153!

13913669061_9c26d17dc8_c.jpg

Lewis masters DCC. by Steve Purves, on Flickr

13962171093_8b2b113ed2_c.jpg

lew in control by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Really good lighting idea, especially for a box layout; shame they don't do them in 11' lengths as I could use some for Prestatyn!!

Great to see your son getting into it - DCC is probably second nature to him; I still don't fully understand DC! :scratchhead:

David

• RMweb Premium

Here we go, Having been up pre 6am with number 2 son I decided it would be time to get the box out and clean and check the track now all is set. A few problems with the points initially but pleased to report that all went well. I'm on holiday tomorrow for a week down on the (hopefully) sunny English Riviera so this will be the last update for a week or so. On my return the next job will be to weather the track and then bed the structures in (including the platform surfaces).

Here are some pictures for your perusal

13980587196_35a3d90b51_c.jpg
looks good with a bit of ballast by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14000529321_264436433a_c.jpg
bone on the blocks by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, very good; layouts always look better for some 'texture' IMO! 

I like what you're doing with the station area too; looking forward to more progress reports...

Enjoy the English Pre-Summer; hoping the fog lifts and you need the sunblock!

David

• RMweb Premium

A week in the west country was nice but now back to business. I have decided to try and get the layout finished for the NGS AGM on June 7th so I can enter the layout competition... no pressure! I will see how far I get by deadline day and make a decision about entering or not! Our holiday yielded a few goodies, a NR van and a bargain of a 156 DMU. I paid a visit to the excellent Paignton Model shop and I aquired chips for the DMU. I have decided to run a stub road down the front of the layout. This will be seperated from the yard by some pallisade fencing. I have also finished the platform surfaces using scalescenes roads which I think looks good...

Still need to weather the track and plant the buildings...

Comments as usual are more than welcome!

14091134422_804e6f0b82_c.jpg

Apa Park platforms and roads by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14114334923_639f4bff76_c.jpg

Apa Parks new DMU by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Regards

Steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I don’t know if this has been done before but I thought I would share anyway.

I was fitting point motors last night to Apa, and whilst holding the motors central with a piece of mounting card (vice a clothes peg) couldn’t find anything to centralise the point blades. This is the result, I chopped some offcuts of layout wire (standard size) and put either side of the blades. The thickness was just enough to offer a little retention when the layout was upturned.

Now I just need to find a suitable power supply free or very cheap!!!

14143956925_6c22e40090_c.jpg

Points by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Happy Days

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit the bullet last night and made a start on the station building and the problem of how to fence the platforms.

Using plasticard, remember that medium, used a lot before scalescenes was discovered, I knocked together some corrugated walling just over a scale 8 foot high. I think this would be about right. The corrugated work will be painted in 90s brown shades.

Work remaining includes walling for the other plaform, framework on the glass fronted entrance hall, fascias and guttering around the roof and finally paint.

14183582941_15aa6dfc76_c.jpg

Apa Park Station by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14207014483_bef3a3de0a_c.jpg

Apa Park Station by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Done a fair bit today. Replaced the placeholder Apa Park building with the final edition.

14026321919_3e7a70116d_c.jpg

Apa Park building and station concourse by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Also done some more work on the concourse. This is now to a stage that I am happy with.

14026350970_1532afe1b3_c.jpg

wanting something a little different from the peco bufferstops and whilst I had my scratchbuilding head on I decided to have a go at some modern style bufferstops

14026343620_b99d849d14_c.jpg

14026314399_d362b3a5a6_c.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats it... Done... I have entered Apa Park into the N gauge Society Annual Model Making Competition, To be held at the AGM/exhibition on the 7th of June...

Come and see Apa Park at its public debut, come and have a play

See linky... http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=AGM

That gives me 2 weeks and a few days to 'furnish' the whole layout with people, clutter, signage, fencing, lamposts, benches, bushes and weathering <gulp> Easy...

(that requires mail ordering all of the above, including an airbrush/compressor)

Happy Days!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thats it... Done... I have entered Apa Park into the N gauge Society Annual Model Making Competition, To be held at the AGM/exhibition on the 7th of June...

Come and see Apa Park at its public debut, come and have a play

See linky... http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=AGM

That gives me 2 weeks and a few days to 'furnish' the whole layout with people, clutter, signage, fencing, lamposts, benches, bushes and weathering <gulp> Easy...

(that requires mail ordering all of the above, including an airbrush/compressor)

Happy Days!

I'll be in Oxford that day but I really hope it goes well and they recognise the skills displayed here...

One thing I would do, and it may well be on your to-do list, but I would pass a brush of something dirty over the platform edges/buffer stops/sleepers in the station area as it looks far too clean against the rest of the layout!

David

• RMweb Premium

I'll be in Oxford that day but I really hope it goes well and they recognise the skills displayed here...

One thing I would do, and it may well be on your to-do list, but I would pass a brush of something dirty over the platform edges/buffer stops/sleepers in the station area as it looks far too clean against the rest of the layout!

David

Thanks for the encouragement... I am waiting on the arrival of an airbrush to paint the whole of the station building/platform area. Then it will all be dirtied up a little (not too much because its a new build)

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a micro update...

Having picked up an airbrush (gravity fed, 0.3mm needle) and a compressor (with tank and trap) for a reasonable £45 I set to toneing down the ballast. This week will be hopefully chock full of progress now...

14088259288_f6313db7c7_c.jpg
Untitled by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

9 days to go...

A package turned up yesterday from N Brass Locos, containing the pallisade fencing and gates for the low level and posterboards for the station area. I have been waiting for these to arrive so I can start laying scrub/bushes around their base and finish of the scenics for the low level. The fences are not cheap but are a requirement of the modern railway. A quick coat of primer and they were 'planted' they will be given a top coat of a slightly lighter shade of grey now they are in situ (excuse the finger marks)

14099020287_c289847394_c.jpg

14098937368_276294d08c_c.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes. But litter isn,t. Try some windblown paper and plastic stuck to that nice fence.

Mike

some news paper ad a lemon zester I think... maybe a bif of cling film (pallet wrap) lying in the gutter and against the fence.

Great idea, thanks!

• Like 1