APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

• RMweb Premium

There is the 'new project' which is 'Apa Something' - as linked. the possible 'new new project' using the remainder of the materials I have to hand will be a slightly larger layout currently based on Leicester TMD (there is a plan on here I drew), but that is definately a back burner job for now and nothing more than "I will keep this for X" or "thats cheap I shall buy now for X"...

• RMweb Premium

A selection of new stock for Apa Park arrived,  heres an overall shot…

14668130773_5b66b545f6_c.jpg

20140713_234737 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

The 60 will look good with my Dapol LH 56, and the 37 is to be paired with my Dutch 37…

The Black 5 will be paired with a maroon BSK when I can find one and will arrive/depart from the front track for servicing between railtour duties.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here’s some gratuitous shots, I had Apa Park out for a play on Saturday. I wanted to test out some shots ready for BRM coming next week and I wanted to test some of the new stock I have acquired…

Firstly a nice overall shot –

14514119519_142fd9b50c_c.jpg

Apa Park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

And a shot from above with the lid off –

14720657943_9615284cd6_c.jpg

One of my favourite places for photographs is actually under the bridge, this is the lower level –

14697595801_ff0f94d1c0_c.jpg

And the upper level –

14514127609_4809027bc0_c.jpg

The station area –

14514136778_e4c64e5382_c.jpg

And the yard –

14514094640_60cceccca9_c.jpg

And someone asked for a shot of the fiddle yard in action –

14514112238_0258edf314_c.jpg

• Like 8

Looks great Steve. The "moody" sky works a treat, WAY more effective than the hand painted blue sky, fluffy white cloud fairytale backscenes I usually knock out. Out with the blue, in with the grey methinks.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, you're making me wish I'd persevered with the ITtrunking cassettes now. I never thought of trimming off the top lip. One of issues with my layout is the amount of handling of stock you have to do. APA Park seems to have gone from strength to strength. Love the new stock.

Did I read somewhere that you're exhibiting at TINGS? I will have to try and get there and say hello.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David. Not booked for Tings, not booked for anywhere for that matter! A young family precludes me going AWOL for too long. Local 1 day shows for me unless I put a team together!

I will be attending Tings so will have to catch up!

What have you done in place of trunking now? Can you not retrofit?

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I have decided to start offering my weathering services to people, as a result took delivery from a friend of 30 odd wagons and some locomotives. One bonus is that they make a guest appearances on Apa Park! Here is a few examples…

A grubby 37672. Layers of brake dust, oil and track dirt, finished with some streaks and clag. No additional details added.

14721649386_dbf4a3288b_c.jpg

Apa Park weathering by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Same treatment for 37431

14741479191_7c0f5a63b8_c.jpg

A selection of patchy open wagons

14744656805_97f25a0b4c_c.jpg

14558004618_7b76a1edd0_c.jpg

So Whilst I had the airbrush out I took the opportunity to ‘blow over’ a few of my new acquisitions, a triple grey 58, some dogfish and the rake of BAA’s that I had acquired last month.

14744358482_5e8a138608_c.jpg

14721648046_9063ba8342_c.jpg

14558020059_60f1151423_c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

More new arrivals on Apa Park, an 08 from RMweb and some HAA’s from the N Gauge Forum. Still awaiting two more loco’s to arrive this week, before the BRM photoshoot

14777887934_aba7766fa8_c.jpg
New gronk by Steve Purves, on Flickr

14591966580_e11a75a278_c.jpg
Apa park by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I know I know... Another new toy has arrived. I bought a Dapol 56 in EWS livery that was sound chipped, being too modern for my current tastes, swapped the body over with my own 56003. as a result I now have a sound fitted grid and an DCC fitted/ready EWS 56 for sale!

The video is a little poor, and I need to get the hang of driving one handed and holding the camera (or get a tripod) and I need to tweak a few CV's but here is the result... 

The link is to Apa Parks facebook page, but it should be public and openly viewable...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1509854559251222

Edited by stevepurves

• RMweb Premium

Friday came and passed. An enjoyable couple of hours spent with Andy RMWeb shooting Apa Park for a future issue of BRM. I have so far seen one image that has been processed and I'm itching to share but I must hold back! I must say Andy has done a fantastic job. It doesn't even look like a model, let alone N gauge!

Having spent a bit more time with the grid and a phone call to Digitrains in Lincoln made me realise the sound set was in fact very old and a newer and more superior set was in fact available. A trip to Lincoln on friday afternoon rectified that...

N gauge Dapol 56 DCC Sound:

Whilst there and chatting to the ever helpful Paul my arm was twisted into new toy position and this was the result...

N gauge Farish 37 DCC sound:

The 37 is an interesting one. I had always believed that sound in N required major surgery... with this one all I did was unclip the cab interiors and plug the 6 pin Zimo Mx646 in. The speaker fits in the other cab space. The speaker end lifts the body by about 1mm. Some light filing will relieve that..

• Like 4

Just coincidence I was at Digitrains getting some views, thank you for yours, on my completely new Class 47 project.

There is a thread in the DCC sound section where you can also post your sound videos. There aren't many N gauge models featured so It would be good to see your locos put in an appearance.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78924-dcc-sound-videos/?p=1530610

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

First trial of sound fitted class 47. Again the chip is a Zimo 646 and the sounds are by the excellent Paul Chetter. Not as easy install as the 37, this involved minor pruning of lighting unit and cab interiors. Will post a how to in the coming days...

Graham Farish Class 47 DCC sound:

Edited by stevepurves
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few irons in the fire...

There is a possibility of a replacement box, 'APA' like, designed with model railways in mind coming to market soon. I will be reviewing and testing once final details are sorted. size will be a little larger (3ft x 15") and cost will be 'reasonable'. I will keep you posted and start a thread when ready.

I am having a clear out of a few loco's, some bills have come up and will have to reorganise some funds. check the classifieds for some sound fitted and DCC fitted locos.

Apa Park will be featured in BRM October edition, to shops on 11th of September...

• Like 1

A few irons in the fire...

There is a possibility of a replacement box, 'APA' like, designed with model railways in mind coming to market soon. I will be reviewing and testing once final details are sorted. size will be a little larger (3ft x 15") and cost will be 'reasonable'. I will keep you posted and start a thread when ready.

I am having a clear out of a few loco's, some bills have come up and will have to reorganise some funds. check the classifieds for some sound fitted and DCC fitted locos.

Apa Park will be featured in BRM October edition, to shops on 11th of September...

That sounds interesting. I don't have an Ikea anywhere near me but when checking APA box stock at the four closest stores (Croydon, Lakeside etc) no-one has any left in stock. Didn't you post on another thread that Ikea's APA has been discontinued? I thought I'd try to pick up a couple with a future project in mind.  3' x 15" is a decent size and a couple together should satisfy even a 4mm BLT. I'm just mopping up from a "Darwin Award" disaster on my latest roundie so I always have an eye on the next project... Good luck with the stock sale. Pete.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Didn't realise this thread had moved from the micro section. I take my hat off to you for pushing ahead and filling a gap created by a huge company with something even more convenient for our modelling needs, hopefully the demand is there - I know I'll be ordering one anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had it moved today with the upcoming article in mind...

I can't take any credit for the new box, its the work of the excellent Tim Horn. I made a suggestion and we had a chat about sizes and construction... the rest is history!

Stay tuned as they say...

Ah I had wondered if it was his system you'd be reviewing. I'd had a look at the boards he offered but the sizes he was offering at the time didn't really appeal, this one should be a winner though. Might want to put up a message about these boards in the micro section once they become available.