New layout,with no name (here we go again)

Great to see you got your mojo back Ray and look forward to seeing your layout progress in 2015.

Having stocked up on plenty of US Craft Beer/Mojo Ale for Xmas and New Year, hopefully I should be ready to return to the dark side in 2015.

Mal

The opened bottle is in there to provide the appropriate "Brewery Smell" , rather like the old Airwick air fresheners - it will probably have a small, low voltage computer fan to "waft" the smell through ducting, towards the Audience  - it will, no doubt, be replaced regularly, knowing Ray!

Juices have really been flowing today(hopefully like the turkey Thursday!),

post-13979-0-98034200-1419362755_thumb.jpg

had to join the two halfs of layout together to finish the brewery frame.

post-13979-0-34345500-1419362768_thumb.jpg

after that was done ,decided to finish of most of the card and fill in all the joints on the LARGE warehouse which hides the sector plate

post-13979-0-75194400-1419362784_thumb.jpg

while everything is drying(over night),i connected the power up and did a bit of clearance testing,B30-7 on the factory track,Reading hopper on track to sector plate.

post-13979-0-50046400-1419362794_thumb.jpg

think this will make for some interesting photos (if i get them in focus) when its finished,.

Just the frame work for 2 smaller buildings to do,when i've decided what they'll be,hope tomorrow is going to be as productive.

Ray

P.S i'm please to say only one bottle of beer was drank making this layout!!!!!,but about 3 dozen and 40 beer mats designing it!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

Ian

Not sure about interiors :O ,it's a large building but only a couple of inches deep, it will have a back in to hide the sector plate, which may have a couple of led lights to see with when changing stock,but i'm not saying NO just yet!.

i've finally come round from the epic that is Christmas dinner,remind me ,how many legs does a turkey have!! :scratchhead: ,last night was fruitfully with more work done(well it was that or James bond......),started covering the frame work with card.

post-13979-0-84419600-1419542730_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-79567500-1419542737_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-73873300-1419542750_thumb.jpg

I know before you say it,it's the same style as the warehouse(though it will have bricks in the panels),it's with looking at all those videos around Goose island,surprising how many of the old building look the same,all be it maybe a different colour.

Hoping to get the rest of the card on tomorrow,thats if i don't get dragged to the pub!!!!!!!!! :declare:

post-13979-0-10398800-1419542757_thumb.jpg

Ray

Finished the other half of the brewery,just card to cut for roofs,which will be fitted last,going to add interior details to the 2 loading bays+led lights.

post-13979-0-43036300-1419603337_thumb.jpg

Need to decided on a colour for the bands around the building :scratchhead: , then i can fill the middle in with brick paper,i liked the look of the grey and red brick on Goldberger doll,may go down that route. 

Now just got to decided on the last 2 buildings,oh! well back to the Goose island videos and a couple of bottles of Goose island beer!!! :declare:

Ray

Had a busy weekend!, built the two remaining buildings, a temporary bridge(to see how it looks,still playing with location) and got the first coat of grey on the brewery.

post-13979-0-78238800-1419887385_thumb.jpg

While looking at those Goose island videos, again, :declare: I noticed there are a few multi storey car parks, got the main framework done, just needs painting and detailing. 

post-13979-0-39474200-1419887401_thumb.jpg

next was the smaller building on the right,your only going to see the roof and one end when finished, :O  but in case I take photos of the front , I'd better detail it, brick paper and detailing to do.

post-13979-0-24208200-1419887427_thumb.jpg

front of building :declare:

post-13979-0-99292000-1419887442_thumb.jpgn

A shot down the street towards the railroad bridge , my plan is :mail: , if it works, is to have half a bridge with a length of track cut down the middle and a mirror behind it, so when you look, it will seem there's a single track bridge, also the reflection of the building will make it look as though the street carries on(that's the plan, whether it works or not, I don't know)  

post-13979-0-73890000-1419887456_thumb.jpg

Brewery needs another coat of grey, then brick paper and loads of detailing.

Got a big shopping list for ST Albans hope they've got everything I need.

Ray

p.s upgraded my computer, so hope this has downloaded!!!! :scared:

attachicon.gifov16.JPGn

A shot down the street towards the railroad bridge , my plan is :mail: , if it works, is to have half a bridge with a length of track cut down the middle and a mirror behind it, so when you look, it will seem there's a single track bridge, also the reflection of the building will make it look as though the street carries on(that's the plan, whether it works or not, I don't know)  

Ray

p.s upgraded my computer, so hope this has downloaded!!!! :scared:

The mirror trick is best done when moving locos, cars or trains don't get anywhere near close to it.

Andy

Those are my concerns, there's a article in RM about using mirrors, but it's not much help, i'm hoping the buildings and a few well placed trees may help to hide the mirror,(anyone any ideas??) also the height of the layout may help.

As I don't have a big enough mirror yet I can't really do all the testing!, I've still other things to bash on with.!

Ray

Ray - if you can get it, you need a front silvered mirror - it eliminates the unsightly gap caused by the thickness of the glass - you can also get mirror foil - used to stick on wardrobe doors to make them look like mirrors - they aren't usually perfect, but the slight fuzziness makes them look as though the track is receeding into the distance - I had some, but whether I still have I'm not sure - If I do how big a bit do you need (no promises mind!)Available on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mirror+foil&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=2978742083&ref=pd_sl_3m0w2q9k9a_e - also on ebay - in fact if it is big enough 6" x 60" for sticking on cars is £1.49 - I have just looked for mine and it isn't where I thought it was - so it may have gone

The last mirror I used ,was of squires it was plasticard with a silvered front, handy for cutting, hope someone has something like it at ST Albans, if not squires is at Kendal show at the end of January, don't bother yourself looking for that mirror foil, i'm sure i'll find something soon, thanks for the offer :declare:

Ray

Ray, model railroader did an article recently about using mirrors. If you want, I can try and scan in the article and send it to you(Unless it breaks copyright). By the way, the layouts coming along rather nicely!

Lloyd.

So long as you disguise it well the effect should look great.

I've seen them used on Menasha to make the paper mill spurs look larger, and to great effect.

The one thing to look out for is to make sure the viewing angles prevent anyone from seeing a reflection of anything but the layout.

Not a lot done today, except for the stucco finish on the small building and window and trim painted

post-13979-0-16206200-1420042922_thumb.jpg

I'm not a 100% happy with this, once the windows are glazed and fitted ,other detail added, then all toned down it may look ok ,i,ll probably live with it as you won't be able to see the front of the building. 

running short of materials, so won't up date till after ST Albans, where i'm hoping to stock up!!!

Ray

Archived