Washout at Dawlish

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

May update.  Discussion of when the Saturday works on the platforms will finish and the next round of piling to happen.

.....   and that B*****Y concrete block is still hanging off the Jib of the crane.....    🙄

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

The guy with the white hat is always walking with him. Is he the speaker's minder?

Jonathan

In a way yes, probably health and safety to keep an eye on the visitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The guy with the white hat is always walking with him. Is he the speaker's minder?

Jonathan

The colour of the helmet usually indicates certain levels of training/qualification or role.  I presume in this case that white probably indicates someone with a certain level of site safety qualification etc as is often the case elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 15:41, The Stationmaster said:

The colour of the helmet usually indicates certain levels of training/qualification or role.  I presume in this case that white probably indicates someone with a certain level of site safety qualification etc as is often the case elsewhere.

Interesting - where I worked (and some other places I visited), helmets had a defined life (1 year iirc) and were all replaced at the same time and colour, old ones destroyed and new ones issued. All round the mill were signs with the 'in life' helmet colour displayed. Anyone with a different colour was in trouble with H&S (unless a contractor - and they usually had to undergo a 1 day site safety induction - a right pain for the photocopier serviceman). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Interesting - where I worked (and some other places I visited), helmets had a defined life (1 year iirc) and were all replaced at the same time and colour, old ones destroyed and new ones issued. All round the mill were signs with the 'in life' helmet colour displayed. Anyone with a different colour was in trouble with H&S (unless a contractor - and they usually had to undergo a 1 day site safety induction - a right pain for the photocopier serviceman). 

I can understand that for early days when the plastics used could be affected badly with extended exposure to UV/daylight but that should be a thing of the past now.

My dome was a special “photographers” lid with no peak, used a lot by some surveyors who also had to look through eyepieces of course.

The other things we were told no to do was paint the helmet as that could also affect the integrity of the plastic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

The other things we were told no to do was paint the helmet as that could also affect the integrity of the plastic.

Something that used to apply to motorcycle helmets too, and avoid stickers - the glue could weaken the plastic. I fell foul of H&S about 10 years ago when I bought new helmets* for use on the pilot machine (part of the R&D department), R&D were a cuckoo in the nest as far as the site were concerned, they were focussed on production and security, we got in the way. Unfortunately we decided we'd have orange helmets, the site colour at the time was green but no-one had ever thought to inform us of helmet policy (what do scientists need helmets for?), so another black mark for R&D and me (we used 'chemicals' - BAD). 

*Was told we didn't need helmets but 'bump caps'.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2022 at 15:38, Bucoops said:

When I broke down last year I used what three words. The RAC guy ended up over a mile away. Go figure.

I now only use it as a password generator.

The problem with W3W is you've only got to get a word slightly misunderstood, (affect vs effect, spoon vs spun) and you can be in a very different place. But then the same goes for an NGR. Get one of the numbers wrong, e.g. if a 9 gets heard as a 5, and, depending on which one it is in the sequence, you could be literally miles out.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Only as permanent as the next decent size Atlantic storms .....   😱

Not at all affected by Atlantic storms as the beach at Dawlish faces ESE. Strong easterly winds however are another matter. 

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not at all affected by Atlantic storms as the beach at Dawlish faces ESE. Strong easterly winds however are another matter. 

Yes, you are quite right, a miserable lack of direction, on my part...     🌬️   🌀

Should have remembered that, having been out in a 34ft yacht in one of them, a good demonstration of how storm sails work!!!  Thank you, will try to do better , next time...     

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First video is a very early morning drone trip down the line during a possession following a work vehicle and showing the work done so far on the new rock fall shelter

And February and a first March video updates

\

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...