Handbuilt track - Code 100 creating the vee and switch blades

Ian_H

Hi,

I guess it says it all in the title, apart from flat bottom track.

I've looked for the past couple of years at the step by step building of turnouts as explain by Brian Harrap, gordon s, and hayfield et al, together with the technical explanations from martin wynne. I've long thought about having go but the problem is that the existing layout uses code 100 peco streamlined track, of course its also flat bottomed but all the explanations that I have seen seem to be centred around bullhead code 75 in the case of 4mm at least. So, is it the same procedure to build turnouts utilising code 100 flat bottomed rail as explained for the code 75 bull head rail? Of course I have seen explanations from the USA, Fast Tracks I think, that uses flat bottomed rail but that procedure, especially with the formation of the vee is very different to Martin's  explanation.

I guess, like a lot of modellers, I see what other modellers have achieved in creating their own turnouts and very impressive the look but I don't particularly want to change code at this stage, I would just like to build a couple of turnouts that can be incorporated in the present layout  - I've got plenty of bits of peco rail kicking about that I could experiment with, I also purchased some roller gauges for oo-sf but they don't seem to fit code 100 track :blush: .

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I've got plenty of bits of peco rail kicking about that I could experiment with,

So go ahead and experiment. Code 100 needs rather more filing than scale sizes of rail but the primary difference between bullhead and flat bottom is the rail foot. You just need to remove the foot wherever your rails come into contact. For the vee this applies to the point rail where the splice rail fits against it, you should have picked up on that terminology from Martin's posts. You will also need to cut back the foot a bit on the wing and check rails to get the rails close enough together to set the flangeways to the correct dimension.

Keith

PS, Roller gauges for 00-SF are most likely made to fit scale size rail, you will need to get a gauge meant for code 100, or just make your own by filing notches in the edge of a small brass sheet.

Ian

Firstly you will need a set of code 100 roller gauges, Markits I think do them, certainly Marcway do them.

In most ways building in flatbottom rail uses the same processes that are used with bullhead rail. What you will have to do though is deal with the problems assiociated with both the flat bottom of the rail and the stiffness of code 100 rail.

I have built an O-16.5 copperclad turnout using code 100 flatbottom rail and this is the additional procedures needed,

The stock rails where the switch blades touch need the flatbottom filed back to the width of the head of the rail, though for a first time build you may wish to file a rebate into the stock rail (as I think Peco does) for the switch rail to fit into.

The sharp bends at the knuckle (frog) and where the wing and check rails flare bend sharper (and easier) if you cut a notch through both sides of the flat bottom part of the rail at the bend. You may also need to file the foot of the wing and check rails back a bit if they prevent the correct gap from being set

Due to the thickness of code 100 rail the switch rail will not flex easily, so it is better to have a hinge switch rather than a flexible one. The solution is easy use a Peco plastic rail joiner, a really easy job.

Other than that it is from memory just the same as using the thinner code 75 bullhead rail. A nice big 10" decent file helps no end

Ian

Should be quite easy as OO gauge is quite forgiving, and the good thing with building in Copperclad is that you can easily alter the rails.

I would make sure you fit the the Vee and stock rails first (decide if you are going to file a recess in the stock rails for the switch rail tips) then tack in place the wing and switch rails in place and solder up once you are happy with the adjustments (if needed). Good luck and keep us posted 

Archived