West Midlands Metro Tracklaying in Brum

melmerby

I was "lucky" to be on board one of the trams in Naples on the Ansaldo test track when they tested the magnetic brake.  We very nearly all ended up in the cab with the driver, so they did work at one time!

I have to say the last time I heard a Metro tram go past (on Bilston Road in Wolverhampton) late last year it sounded like it was dragging a fitter's bag of spanners along underneath it, and given the builder has never been able to supply spares efficiently and there has always been at least one tram out of service as a "Christmas tree", and seeing how the similar Oslo trams built at the same time are being replaced, I bet TMM are counting down the days until the new CAF vehicles enter service.

One thing worthy of note for this section of track is that it is due to be replaced this year (in fact the closure will be kicking in any day now). I have been on that section of track when it was recently grinded and found the ride to be smooth and quiet. However it does go loud quickly. 

I must admit the sound I heard sounded more mechanical but could have been a combination of factors.

I'm glad the Metro team are keeping on top of the rail noise as I was involved in the noise and vibration policy formulation which was at the time a pioneering piece of work.  We considered it essential that the Metro was seen as a good neighbour which is why I was mildly alarmed to hear several T69s sounding like a tractor.  Hopefully though by the end of the year things will be improved with the new trams.

• Like 1

I know this topic is about the current extension to New Street but this article is interesting in that it confirms funding for the line to be extended as far as Edgebaston. With the link already going to Centenary Square one has to wonder if this will be done in one single build from 2015. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28190157

Other extensions with confirmed funding include a spur to Eastside and Digbeth. I am not sure if this will be going any further than the current proposals which terminate near the Woodsman pub but either way it is an extra two stops EDIT - Looks like it could be more than two, perhaps 4 or 5 with a Park and Ride at the terminus. I have also read on the Birmingham Mail web site that the line in Wolverhampton has confirmed funding to the railway station as part of that redevelopment. 

This is all great news for the system. However the line to the airport was mooted as "rapid transit" which to me suggests Sprint/Bus Super Showcase. 

With all this in mind I suspect that this thread will continue for a fair few years! 

EDIT - Article found with more details:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/light-rail/funding-agreed-for-midland-metro-expansion.html 

EDIT 2 - Updated master plan found on Centro web site:

http://www.centro.org.uk/media/209718/Master-Plan.png 

Edited by SNCF stephen

• RMweb Premium

I know this topic is about the current extension to New Street but this article is interesting in that it confirms funding for the line to be extended as far as Edgebaston. With the link already going to Centenary Square one has to wonder if this will be done in one single build from 2015. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28190157

Other extensions with confirmed funding include a spur to Eastside and Digbeth. I am not sure if this will be going any further than the current proposals which terminate near the Woodsman pub but either way it is an extra two stops EDIT - Looks like it could be more than two, perhaps 4 or 5 with a Park and Ride at the terminus. I have also read on the Birmingham Mail web site that the line in Wolverhampton has confirmed funding to the railway station as part of that redevelopment. 

This is all great news for the system. However the line to the airport was mooted as "rapid transit" which to me suggests Sprint/Bus Super Showcase. 

With all this in mind I suspect that this thread will continue for a fair few years! 

EDIT - Article found with more details:

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/light-rail/funding-agreed-for-midland-metro-expansion.html 

EDIT 2 - Updated master plan found on Centro web site:

Yes. I think it will (my underlining)

I read about that from the Government press releases and other articles.

Most of these extensions had been agreed and were just waiting for the "kick-start" funding to get them going.

Keith

BTW Your EDIT 2 link is corrupt, there are some unwanted characters on the end of the link which stop it opening!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Although in Birmingham the extension(s) out along Broad St. can be built incrementally without impacting on what is currently operating, there will be a problem with the tri-angular junction at Bull St./Corporation St. for the Eastside extension.

I wonder whether it could be incorporated within the current works to save disruption later?

The position and form of the junction is known, even if the route to Moor St. isn't finalised yet.

Keith

EDIT

Updated Master plan link:

Edited by melmerby

Although in Birmingham the extension(s) out along Broad St. can be built incrementally without impacting on what is currently operating, there will be a problem with the tri-angular junction at Bull St./Corporation St. for the Eastside extension.

I wonder whether it could be incorporated within the current works to save disruption later?

The position and form of the junction is known, even if the route to Moor St. isn't finalised yet.

Keith

EDIT

Updated Master plan link:

Thank you for sorting out the master plan link. 

My understanding of the Eastside extension is that it has not had the detailed design work completed. I read some of the documents a few weeks ago that were published as part of the consultation and they stated that the exact design and spec of the track work had not yet been undertaken. I would imagine that this is why the extension to Eastside will take longer than to Five Ways. Whilst Five Ways is obtaining a revised T & W Act Order it has had most of the design work undertaken for it for some time. 

• RMweb Premium

This press release from a few days ago suggests the T69s will all be gone soon, once the Urbos 3s start running.

http://www.centro.org.uk/about-us/news/2014/midland-metro-trams-start-new-journey-at-research-centre/

They "will be put into long term storage at Long Marston"

What for? They are no use to anyone.

Is it political speech for "They will be all stored together (and set on fire by vandals)"! :jester:

Keith

Unless the ownership changed when the Altram consortium was dissolved most of the T69s were originally funded by Royal Bank of Scotland with a "buy 15 get one free" tram which was owned by the construction consortium provided as "insurance cover" as they were not sure they could achieve the scheduled timetable with the original contract spec 15 strong fleet (rightly as it turned out).  Theoretically if I remember correctly, or unless things have changed, it means one tram is Centro property and 15 belong to a bank (if they were not bought out at some point) which may explain why one has been donated to the test track and the rest will go into store, although given the level of cannibalisation it may be some go into long term storage in a skip.

• RMweb Premium

There is an ongoing discussion on the District Dave forum as to what will replace the 1938 stock on the Isle of Wight. These trams would make a suitable replacement and enable a limited degree of street running to avoid the tunnel at Ryde that has caused problems.

• RMweb Premium

There is an ongoing discussion on the District Dave forum as to what will replace the 1938 stock on the Isle of Wight. These trams would make a suitable replacement and enable a limited degree of street running to avoid the tunnel at Ryde that has caused problems.

Surely 76 year old tube stock is likely to be more reliable than the old MM trams?

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As part of the HS2 works, the £130 million extension to Adderley Street has been given the official go-ahead, although I'm not sure whether that is any more news or just re-stating something from a few days ago!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

A few more pictures of progress.

Not much happening at Stephenson St end apart from the district heating pipes(?) heading down Stephenson Place under the ramp.

I wonder where they will go next? Stephenson St is very much tramway being laid!

Paved section in Corporation St:
post-6208-0-07774600-1406155200_thumb.jpg

Entrance to Warwick passage:

post-6208-0-12006700-1406155239_thumb.jpg

More sleepers going down towards New St:

post-6208-0-92036900-1406155308_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-38095300-1406155344_thumb.jpg

Sleepers also going down on the next section from Union St to Bull St:

post-6208-0-49727500-1406155820_thumb.jpg

New pedestrian route across finished section by Colmore gate:

post-6208-0-06995500-1406155431_thumb.jpg

Work progresses in Bull St:

post-6208-0-40772600-1406155494_thumb.jpg

Old pipe recovered from ground sitting on old sleepers (also recovered?):

post-6208-0-68918100-1406155541_thumb.jpg

Close up of drainage slot in track:

post-6208-0-97043100-1406155604_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Great pictures there, I took some earlier this week but you beat me to it with posting them. It is nice to see some of the track work completed for the Corporation Street section. It will look quite neat when it is done. 

I did take a few of New Street and Bull Street though which may be of interest:

post-6976-0-73217100-1406220565.jpg

post-6976-0-75922000-1406220567.jpg

post-6976-0-06551600-1406220569.jpg

I like the brickwork on what will probably be some sort of hard landscaping here. 

post-6976-0-07511000-1406220570.jpg

This is a shot of One Snow Hill with the tram line running in front.

post-6976-0-11447200-1406220571.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This is a shot of One Snow Hill with the tram line running in front.

And Two Snow Hill is where the HS2 brigade will be based!

I assume the cobbles will be to discourage pedestrians walking along the track between the raised walls. (or maybe it's just pretty)

Any idea how the contact wire for the trams will be supported?

I haven't seen anything in the official plans to show whether there will be poles, or cables stretched between buildings.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

According to what Colin Robey of Centro told a Joint LRTA/TLRS/ERS meeting last year the T69s are being stored with a view to use as trams on the line to Merry Hill etc whilst they wait for the Strategic Freight Review to report , it could be 15 years, when they will be able to know finally if that route needs trams or tramtrains, so the T69s are seen as an interim possibility.

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that the catenary will be held from the buildings on wires. Not sure if they will all be mounted that way but I remember reading about the issues with listed buildings etc that they had to overcome.

Rosettes as they are known were the preferred way of holding up city centre wires in on 1st generation tramways.  Apparently they need to withstand about 700 ilbs pull according to an archtect tram historian friend.   19th Century stone buildings were usually able to withstand this but many modern buildings have relativley thin skinned outer walls and that is why you have the forest of steel in Croydon etc.   The French have managed it very nicely in the centre of Nice with some very unobtrisive fixings. I am told that there are problems with liability here. If we do start using them again in the UK it will be a step forward.

Original rosettes are now sought after items.

Jamie

• Like 1

The more recent tramways in the UK have used building fixings where suitable but as noted this isn't always possible.  A modern day fixing will probably need to withstand greater force, because there is a requirement that if one fixing/pole is lost the remaining ones will be able to prevent the wire descending to a level where people could touch it. 

• RMweb Premium

Some latest pictures of progress, taken yesterday

Stephenson Street:

post-6208-0-85263500-1406820871_thumb.jpg

View in opposite direction:

post-6208-0-70988700-1406820918_thumb.jpg

Finished section in Corporation Street now open to pedestrians (note tarmac infil in the flangeway - not done in Bull Street!):

post-6208-0-70521900-1406821045_thumb.jpg

Progress continues on the next stretch, rail now on sleepers:

post-6208-0-09906300-1406821090_thumb.jpg

Re-inforcing base for track going down in Bull St:

post-6208-0-20376000-1406821162_thumb.jpg

View other direction:

post-6208-0-42695000-1406821201_thumb.jpg

Finishing the track between Colmore Circus and Bull St (was buried under pedestrian way until this week):

post-6208-0-53085600-1406821276_thumb.jpg

Keith

EDIT

It was announced today that New St Station would open fully next September, let's hope the Metro is up and running by then!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few more pictures:

More progress along Corporation St.:

(Newly laid concrete covered for protection)

post-6208-0-93547600-1408301172_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way towards New St:

(Rails now continuous this side of the road from New St to Bull St).

post-6208-0-54438900-1408301274_thumb.jpg

Down at Stephenson St not a lot happened since last time::

post-6208-0-91600300-1408301502_thumb.jpg

More track now down in Bull St:

(there is now double track down from outside One Snow Hill to Temple Row

post-6208-0-99484800-1408301832_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few more picture of progress

Some last Saturday, some on Wednesday:

Bottom end of Corporation St Saturday:

post-6208-0-46495400-1409871440_thumb.jpg

And Wednesday:

post-6208-0-74795900-1409871479_thumb.jpg

Towards Colmore Circus Saturday:

post-6208-0-15812100-1409871631_thumb.jpg

Another view from Wednesday:

post-6208-0-71435700-1409871665_thumb.jpg

Bull Street Wednesday:

post-6208-0-40758700-1409872180_thumb.jpg

The white stuff being applied is to slow down the curing of the top surface apparantly

Close up of rail end showing the rubber sheath that presumably is used to cut down on noise and vibration:

post-6208-0-93359600-1409871841_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited to remove duplicate picture

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Four of the Urbos 3 trams are now in service.

One of the railway mags had that as a news item with "and they will be running to New St Station by the end of the year"

That should prove interesting, considering only about 20% of the track has been laid!

Keith